10240 - UCS: Red Five X-wing Starfighter

Mos_Eisley

How many 10240 X-Wing sets do you own?  

336 members have voted

1. 1. How many 10240 X-Wing sets do you own?

• 2 to 5
    • 6 to 10
    • 11+
    • ZERO

This poll is closed to new votes

20 minutes ago, Quacs said:

The contrition is appreciated, but I'm surprised you feel like you were flamed.  Not one of the responses above called you a name - I was actually expecting worse.  

Feel free to stay and grab some good deals, just please avoid the name calling.

Yes, flamed is an overstatement. My bad. It was wrong of me to call people grinches! Thanks for accepting my apology, look forward to growing in the forums and in my personal collection. Any and all advice is appreciated!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stephen_rockefeller said:

You and me both my friend! Most people on here will say "what do you expect this is an investment website". To me that is a crappy excuse to stop acting like a decent human being. 

I lean toward your views... are we in it for the money or the enjoyment of a hobby? I'd venture to say a little bit of both, but it's more pure when you are in it for the hobby!

5 minutes ago, baublitz said:

I lean toward your views... are we in it for the money or the enjoyment of a hobby? I'd venture to say a little bit of both, but it's more pure when you are in it for the hobby!

You may want to try eurobricks or bricks to bothans or just about any other lego collecting  site.

I'm not trying to be non-welcoming but you're basically arguing against the whole point of this site. Lego INVESTING.

Good luck to you.  

This is not the site you're looking for. 

6 minutes ago, mudcatsfan said:

You may want to try eurobricks or bricks to bothans or just about any other lego collecting  site.

I'm not trying to be non-welcoming but you're basically arguing against the whole point of this site. Lego INVESTING.

Good luck to you.  

This site will have its place in my browsing... but thanks for being honest. You speak truth, I'm less of an investor and more of a hobbyist so this site isn't my home.

Good luck to you.  

This site will have its place in my browsing... but thanks for being honest. You speak truth, I'm less of an investor and more of a hobbyist so this site isn't my home.

There are ways to be both on this site. There are a number of us that keep it separate. I invest to feed my hobby. But they are definitely two different things.

I'd lol at those sites or Reddit.com/r/LEGO for the help you're looking for.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bold-Arrow said:

Lol .. Just a random observation . Given how long it has been gone from most retailers , price haven't moved much. Not that I'm expecting a huge jump right away . 

My theory is, investors basically had over a year to accumulate stock while watching 9493 taking off in the 2ndary market. It's as sure thing as sure can be, right? Kind of like accumulating 6862 and spider cycle chase while watching wolverine chopper taking off. So the bubble got too big. Long term demand will determine whether this is a big winner or not, because there is certainly no shortage of supply.

• Like 1

After new year tax returns are a huge deal.  I pay quarterly and I still need to pay a huge amount at the beginning of next year for 2015 and also 1st quarter 2016.  It's tough to know what your gonna have coming back.

I think a lot of folks are in the same boat, they gotta get the go ahead from what they owe or will get returned for taxes.

1 hour ago, allen9917 said:

My theory is, investors basically had over a year to accumulate stock while watching 9493 taking off in the 2ndary market. It's as sure thing as sure can be, right? Kind of like accumulating 6862 and spider cycle chase while watching wolverine chopper taking off. So the bubble got too big. Long term demand will determine whether this is a big winner or not, because there is certainly no shortage of supply.

9493 was still being found on the shelves this time last year and into January.  the rampup in price has been in the last 6 months.

6862 and spidercycle chase didn't have deadpool so not surprising they stunk as investments.

i don't see any similarity or meaningful relationship between performance of a $20 super hero set and the largest X-wing LEGO has ever produced.

Edited by cladner

2 hours ago, cladner said:

9493 was still being found on the shelves this time last year and into January.  the rampup in price has been in the last 6 months.

6862 and spidercycle chase didn't have deadpool so not surprising they stunk as investments.

i don't see any similarity or meaningful relationship between performance of a $20 super hero set and the largest X-wing LEGO has ever produced.

The similarity is in the pattern that the performance of sets in the series stimulated investment (9493 for X-5, wolverine for other SH sets, zombie for vampyre castle) as more people expect a sure and quick winner. When there are more players in the game, there will be more players willing to sell for minimal profit, which means harder for price to jump. No matter how big or small, whichever the theme might be, the game is about supply and demand.  

Note I'm not downplaying the set as a winner, just giving my take on why the set has not taken off yet.

Edited by allen9917

4 hours ago, allen9917 said:

The similarity is in the pattern that the performance of sets in the series stimulated investment (9493 for X-5, wolverine for other SH sets, zombie for vampyre castle) as more people expect a sure and quick winner. When there are more players in the game, there will be more players willing to sell for minimal profit, which means harder for price to jump. No matter how big or small, whichever the theme might be, the game is about supply and demand.  

Note I'm not downplaying the set as a winner, just giving my take on why the set has not taken off yet.

It's taking off big time in Europe.

Today it has 4 completed listing already, all above rrp.

16 minutes ago, valenciaeric said:

I agree, people are going ape about it. What % will be resellers buying while prices are still relatively low, though?

Haven't most resellers had enough time to get a few? I know there is always a bit of a panic when I see something move to sold out on S&H (as in, find online, buy, buy, buy!) but this isn't exactly a surprise retirement. SW hype, coupled with the insane prices of the smaller X-wing, might be a better explanation?

10 minutes ago, valenciaeric said:

See Death Star - one guy is buying up all those ones sold on Ebay here so I´d say it is the typical reseller fuelled boom. When it gets to 300 and they take their feet off the gas we will see what happens.

Your getting close :) You should be a detective do you know that?

2 hours ago, Raidomso said:

It's taking off big time in Europe.

Today it has 4 completed listing already, all above rrp.

'big time' is a small overstatement. 

The set is barely beating the 230E mark. 

It will take 6 months before it can move up seriously I guess.