10240 - UCS: Red Five X-wing Starfighter

Mos_Eisley

How many 10240 X-Wing sets do you own?  

336 members have voted

1. 1. How many 10240 X-Wing sets do you own?

• 2 to 5
    • 6 to 10
    • 11+
    • ZERO

This poll is closed to new votes

4 hours ago, tractorboy said:

I think the frustrating thing about this set has been the endless low-balling so prices have been all over the place. There was one sold for €280 +shipping on ebay EU today, but it will still sell for less over the next few days rather than sellers adjusting their prices accordingly. It just needs more time before prices begin to steady. Demand is still good so I'm hoping the new movie and xmas will help thin the herd a bit. A year from now I think €350 +shipping would be a reasonable expectation.

People should at least stop buying the UCS Tie fighter. Stocks are already high for a recent set. If everybody continues, we'll have another DS and/or Dead5 on our hands. 

@TabbyBoy:  You have none I hope  - not planning to start buying?

Edited by ZULU
  • Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy
24 minutes ago, ZULU said:

People should at least stop buying the UCS Tie fighter. Stocks are already high for a recent set. If everybody continues, we'll have another DS and/or Dead5 on our hands. 

@TabbyBoy:  You have none I hope  - not planning to start buying?

By the end of this weekend I will have no Star Wars UCS sets apart from SSDs ;-)

7 hours ago, John82 said:

I often wonder why this forum has "Investment Guide" in the title and not "Quick Flipping Quide". I only have 1 of these, and brought it to sell 3-4 years down the road (unless remake signs appear), not 12 months after retirement.

The site started as an Investment site, and continues to be about LEGO Investing.  One strategy to investment is Quick Flipping.  There are many members here that do the quick flipping game.  There are many members that do the long term hold game.  There are plenty that do both, as well.

• Like 1

Just now, Alpinemaps said:

The site started as an Investment site, and continues to be about LEGO Investing.  One strategy to investment is Quick Flipping.  There are many members here that do the quick flipping game.  There are many members that do the long term hold game.  There are plenty that do both, as well.

Yes... basically be savvy (and ruthless) enough to know what to do in each circumstance. Not to say I am very savvy or successful but I flipped like a madman every Ocean HQ I would buy every week almost immediately while I held on to post-retirement things like Fallingwater, AT-AT etc.

I often wonder why this forum has "Investment Guide" in the title and not "Quick Flipping Quide". I only have 1 of these, and brought it to sell 3-4 years down the road (unless remake signs appear), not 12 months after retirement.
This and the EV thread have me screaming:
59707205.jpg

This is what I think about when I want to look for Ewok stuff

4ac1a6ad8d8871d12e27fbd256831c56.jpg
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, tjj1984 said:

Down to $243 FBA...

i have a bunch of rewards points on one of my CC that would get the price to $168.  I already have 21 of these .  Wouldn't mind another one.  To say this set isn't performing is premature imo.  i bought my last one less than a year ago from amazon at MSRP.   might wait a little longer though and see if the price drops any further.  people must be desperately short of cash and/or patience to be selling them at this price now.  personally i don't think a remake is around the corner UCS X-wings are on a 13 year remake schedule.

Edited by cladner

8 hours ago, cladner said:

i have a bunch of rewards points on one of my CC that would get the price to $168.  I already have 21 of these .  Wouldn't mind another one.  To say this set isn't performing is premature imo.  i bought my last one less than a year ago from amazon at MSRP.   might wait a little longer though and see if the price drops any further.  people must be desperately short of cash and/or patience to be selling them at this price now.  personally i don't think a remake is around the corner UCS X-wings are on a 13 year remake schedule.

I'm going to wait a little longer too. This one was overpriced to begin with. A bunch of re-sellers bought it at inflated prices after it retired, and they're itching to get rid of them. 

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 4:18 PM, Val-E said:

5 sales so far today on EU ebay - worst was 246 euros auction and best was 300 BIN.

Last week it was at 230-250. Bring it on Rogue 1!!!!

Only 1 Tumbler sold today at 286.

Too bad Tumbler isn't in Rogue 1.  Maybe a crossover trilogy is in the works.

Guest TabbyBoy

Red 5 is a VERY unpopular set, don't build your hopes up with Rogue One. As soon as the movie is done, I think that the set will tank again. Don't be greedy, offload as soon as you can break even. I'm so glad that I sold all mine without making a loss.

On 09/12/2016 at 7:20 PM, TabbyBoy said:

By the end of this weekend I will have no Star Wars UCS sets apart from SSDs ;-)

Oh... I do have some R2-D2 also but, I can hold them until EP8. SSDs going soon as they're starting to drop.

19 hours ago, TabbyBoy said:

Red 5 is a VERY unpopular set, don't build your hopes up with Rogue One. As soon as the movie is done, I think that the set will tank again. Don't be greedy, offload as soon as you can break even. I'm so glad that I sold all mine without making a loss.

Oh... I do have some R2-D2 also but, I can hold them until EP8. SSDs going soon as they're starting to drop.

R2 ain't gettin' any younger, or pricier.  Time's a wastin'...

• 4 months later...

Is Red-5 taking that bad in the U.S.? I just sold one for 315 + 15 shipping here in France. It seems like the demand is still there, though maybe in other countries there is just a bigger secondary market that needs to get bought out first? 

13 minutes ago, lukiepete said:

Is Red-5 taking that bad in the U.S.? I just sold one for 315 + 15 shipping here in France. It seems like the demand is still there, though maybe in other countries there is just a bigger secondary market that needs to get bought out first? 

We are in May 4th period so it could be a good, if short window for a recovery.

I have just one left, bought at full RRP so I´ll hold till TLJ and see what happens.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Val-E said:

We are in May 4th period so it could be a good, if short window for a recovery.

I have just one left, bought at full RRP so I´ll hold till TLJ and see what happens.

True. I hadn't thought of the potential ripple effect of the May 4th period. Of course, now I'm a bit nervous as I checked the seller and it's a new account so I'm bracing for the worst (though there are photos, tracking and signature needed to get delivery... fingers crossed).

So far Ive sold 3 for cash (250 250 & 270) and a couple on ebay £250 so far.

I'm down to 6 which I'm gonna hold on to as it seems to be slowly rising after a long period of stagnation.

Either way i'm not worried as I payed £100ea for them..... yeah I mentioned that again :P

30 minutes ago, lukiepete said:

going FBA is about $325, lowest FBM is a little over $300.  not much to get excited about. seller count in the upper 60s.  there won't be any decent price action in US until we get seller counts into the 30s.  2019ish.  just in time for the UCS Red 6 featuring an exclusive Jek Tono Porkins minifigure simultaneously destroying the value of 9493.

Edited by cladner

2 minutes ago, cladner said:

going FBA is about $325, lowest FBM is a little over $300.  not much to get excited about. seller count in the upper 60s.  there won't be any decent price action in US until we get seller counts into the 30s.  2019ish.  just in time for the UCS Red 6 featuring an exclusive Jek Tono Porkins minifigure simultaneously destroying the value of 9493.

It's not going to make anyone's retirement fund, but basically a 50% return over about a year isn't too bad. I wouldn't be surprised if this hit 2X by TLJ, but then again, I wouldn't be surprised if it just stayed at 300 or so until the next remake. :)