10240 - UCS: Red Five X-wing Starfighter

Mos_Eisley

How many 10240 X-Wing sets do you own?  

336 members have voted

1. 1. How many 10240 X-Wing sets do you own?

• 2 to 5
    • 6 to 10
    • 11+
    • ZERO

This poll is closed to new votes

I don't know what to make of Red 5. It is at the same price point as 10212 was alot of the time but is 1000 pieces less and is an inferior model. 10212 has not done well compared to the other sets that retired in 2012 so I am trying to wrap my head around why 10240 would do better (I am thinking it will do much worse than 10212). I just can't get there at anything north of $120 for this one. Clearly RRP should have been $150 on this set.

With time it will produce, no doubt. You won't lose money on the Red 5.

The question is: at two hundred bucks, is it the best place to put your Lego investment capital?

The answer is this:

I do not know.

I do know this...

For $39 bucks more, one could acquire a Tower Bridge.

Is that the right play?

The answer is...

Again, I do not know.

I would read both topic forums- from start to finish- and decide for one's-self.

• Like 1

I don't know what to make of Red 5. It is at the same price point as 10212 was alot of the time but is 1000 pieces less and is an inferior model. 10212 has not done well compared to the other sets that retired in 2012 so I am trying to wrap my head around why 10240 would do better (I am thinking it will do much worse than 10212). I just can't get there at anything north of $120 for this one. Clearly RRP should have been $150 on this set.

With all due respect, I don't think it is fair to compare an Imperial Shuttle to Red5. 10212 is a cool ship but does not rank up there when it comes to iconic ships in the SW universe.

i don't know if you have followed by sincere beliefs about this set .... but

my opinion;  this will not be as bad as : 10215 but performance will be very close. { only time will tell who would be correct }

even if i am in the wrong side i do have two(2) in my personal collection which i will sell. if i see this faring any better between now and march i will get 3-5 more otherwise i will not touch this and stay away.....

i do respect your view but here is my POV. i am not sure if you have built 9493 and 10240.  Although, piece count 9493 is 1/3 of 10240 but buildwise i find 9493 to be much better than 10240. yes 10240 is UCS but i don't care ... that may be a big thing but it will be the same as 10215 which is the UCS but to me 9493 is much to scale than 10240... { 10240 is not 3X 9493... } :D

an i just need 1 red five and multiple X-wings ... :) so i will rather go with 9493 than 10240...

It's pretty unreasonable comparing the 9394 with 10240! If you say the two are the same or very close you need to think again. Are 7965 and 10179 the same? It's like comparing the Standard BMW 3 series to M3. The both look like automobiles, resemblance is there, they're both BMWs but M3 is the bad ass one you really want (well, if you like cars)

I am very bullish on the looks, Lego's representation of the IS and display qualities of the 10212. If it was more popular in the movies, it would have done better after EOL because when it comes to USC quality, this is up there with the best UCS sets to display!

I don't know what prices you're talking about, but here in the UK the 10212 was

• Like 1

Red 5 will hit $300 quickly after eol. It needs to be at that point for sellers to make any money after fees and shipping. R2 shot up $100 and has been stuck there since, I think this will do the same. 

The real test will be the new movie. Will it drive interest in the retired sets? You would think but it's not a lock. 

my opinion...

an i just need 1 red five and multiple X-wings ... :) so i will rather go with 9493 than 10240...

That is a tough comparison there newbie77. 9493 is the best system scale x-wing, but it can not hold up to 10240. The build of 10240 is far far superior in every way. The playability is a win for 9493, but barely. I found both models to be sturdy and swosh-able, but the minifigs do add a lot of play features to 9493. With that said those that are paying 400+ for an x-wing will pass on anything system and go for the "adult" version of this model. Another think to keep in mind is there weill be many more system scale x-wings before you ever see another UCS x-wing.

Fair opinion.

My faith is in Episode VII driving everything including this.

E VII brings huge upside to everything Star Wars.

... Just catching up on this thread and loving it. Great discussion...

Disney + Abrams + 3 movie sequel + annual character-focused movies between the sequels = long, long, long term growth for SW sets as an investment class.

I don't love the Red 5, but have it. Others will love it, and I'll gladly sell mine to them. I don't love a lot of the Lego SW re-hashes, but am acquiring them regardless- as much as a fan-base

Edit: Red 5 well-stocked at 5 So Cal B&M's; also- in Phoenix today- in-stock at both their stores as well (for whatever that's worth).

I have not been to my local stores. Anyone know if the Washington DC area has any more?

Appreciate all the reports of all stores being empty or near it and several LegoLand locations being empty.

Please keep it up.  Looking better all the time!

Crazy like a Fox!

If it truly is gone, this may surprise us all by hitting $400 by Christmas.

Yes, $150 would have been sweat, and it would have changed a lot in the EOL picture but to compare it to 10212 which was on sale a lot is not fair. I am pleased with the performance of 10212 and would be content with similar returns with any set.

All criticism is fair but bottom eBay price is $245 or $248 and last week one sold at $245 and one at $260 and its not even retired yet.

I can't see it falling below break even.  At least I hope. lol

You will not loos money on this one. Guaranteed*

* If you hold for a year it will go up at least %50.

Red 5 will hit $300 quickly after eol. It needs to be at that point for sellers to make any money after fees and shipping. R2 shot up $100 and has been stuck there since, I think this will do the same. 

The real test will be the new movie. Will it drive interest in the retired sets? You would think but it's not a lock. 

I agree, but the upside is solid and the floor is profit.

I just got my final shipment from Target today. I am done and will not be looking that them until 2016 or later.

• Like 3

As long as it stays at '30 days' the TRU.CA stock isn't moving. I have been watching it like a hawk, but since no other retailer up here has them in stock, I think I'm going to slowly get two per week and hold them (can always return if it comes back in full force).

As long as it stays at '30 days' the TRU.CA stock isn't moving. I have been watching it like a hawk, but since no other retailer up here has them in stock, I think I'm going to slowly get two per week and hold them (can always return if it comes back in full force).

What are your hopes for this in Canada? I am reluctant to buy any since MSRP + tax makes it an expensive proposition for a set with a surprising lack of buzz around it during its lifespan. And I'm not interested in a long term hold either since the likelihood of a remake is somewhat high.

Likelihood of another X-wing this year is 100%.  But the chance of another UCS X-wing in, say, the next three years is very low if past experience is any guide.  As a consumer, I would always choose the much cheaper and more swooshable playset over the UCS model, but there are clearly lots of collectors out there who don't feel the same way.  I think playsets and UCS models are very different markets, without much overlap.  I would actually be more concerned by the possibility of collectors on a budget (or with limited display space) buying the new Slave 1 or whatever UCS SW set comes out next at MSRP versus a 10240 for $400 (seems like what most hope to get out of it).  I think 10240 is a reasonable but not spectacular investment.

• Like 2

Likelihood of another X-wing this year is 100%.  But the chance of another UCS X-wing in, say, the next three years is very low if past experience is any guide.  As a consumer, I would always choose the much cheaper and more swooshable playset over the UCS model, but there are clearly lots of collectors out there who don't feel the same way.  I think playsets and UCS models are very different markets, without much overlap.  I would actually be more concerned by the possibility of collectors on a budget (or with limited display space) buying the new Slave 1 or whatever UCS SW set comes out next at MSRP versus a 10240 for $400 (seems like what most hope to get out of it).  I think 10240 is a reasonable but not spectacular investment.

Agreed, I don't think a UCS remake is coming anytime soon but it could happen someday. I just mean it potentially narrows the window of opportunity on this.

How good is the model itself? When I look at it and the piece count I just don't see it being as "epic" as the SSD, Slave I, Shuttle, etc. But I haven't built it so I'd be interested to hear from people who have.

Edited by bricketycricket

What are your hopes for this in Canada? I am reluctant to buy any since MSRP + tax makes it an expensive proposition for a set with a surprising lack of buzz around it during its lifespan. And I'm not interested in a long term hold either since the likelihood of a remake is somewhat high.

If it indeed EOLS around/before May 4th (just picked a nice SW date for reference) I think it might sell for around $300 USD or so by Christmas. If the dollar continues to slide, that would be worth around $375 upon conversion - minus fees/shipping/conversion fees etc. Certainly not a huge windfall, but with Episode VII out I think there will be interest and that profit is better in my pocket than not.

I do think another year could push it to $350-400 (I don't see it going much higher than that) - not HH or TH returns, but I think there is money to be made here and not a huge amount of risk. The only thing to consider is - are there better places to park my capital? Perhaps, perhaps not, depends what you think will retire this year and what your stockpiles are already at. Since I have six ToO I'm willing to diversify a little on Red-5 and hope to sell a couple locally to avoid fees and make a solid profit. But that is just me.

If it indeed EOLS around/before May 4th (just picked a nice SW date for reference) I think it might sell for around $300 USD or so by Christmas. If the dollar continues to slide, that would be worth around $375 upon conversion - minus fees/shipping/conversion fees etc. Certainly not a huge windfall, but with Episode VII out I think there will be interest and that profit is better in my pocket than not.

I do think another year could push it to $350-400 (I don't see it going much higher than that) - not HH or TH returns, but I think there is money to be made here and not a huge amount of risk. The only thing to consider is - are there better places to park my capital? Perhaps, perhaps not, depends what you think will retire this year and what your stockpiles are already at. Since I have six ToO I'm willing to diversify a little on Red-5 and hope to sell a couple locally to avoid fees and make a solid profit. But that is just me.

Makes sense. ToO and Red5 are, in my mind, the most likely sets to retire next. I still don't like a $280 buy-in (after tax) but I may consider getting one. It is, after all, a UCS original trilogy ship.