10240 - UCS: Red Five X-wing Starfighter

Mos_Eisley

How many 10240 X-Wing sets do you own?  

336 members have voted

1. 1. How many 10240 X-Wing sets do you own?

• 2 to 5
    • 6 to 10
    • 11+
    • ZERO

This poll is closed to new votes

So I'm starting to look at this set now--in part because of this thread and in part because I do like the set.  I'm also a big Star Wars fan so I get all the "iconic"/significance stuff etc.  I'm trying to be objective here though so I'd be interested on any opinions on this from anyone who feels like it's worth weighing in on.  I also apologize for any redunancy to previous posts.

Basically, my question is:  if you got $199.99 to spend on a set why do you buy Red 5 instead of Slave 1--other than the difference in release date/immenence of EOL--obviously Slave 1 will retire much later (or we expect it will).

With Slave 1 you get 1996 pieces as opposed to 1559 with Red-5

With Slave 1 you get 4 minifigures including the most detalied Boba Fett to date (this figure alone is already bringing some good money; if it stays exclusive it always will).  Red-5 gets you R-2.

Either Slave 1 is underpriced or Red-5 is overpriced.  If both were released on the same day/retiring on the same day and you could only pick one, which would it be?  When I put it to myself like that it's Slave 1 hands down from both a collector and investor perspective.  If you're looking to invest $199.99 on someting that will retire before Slave 1 I'm also not sure Red-5 is the best option (though again, I really do like the set--which maybe says something too--it's a hot looking X-Wing and that'll be enough to carry it regardless of piece count and figures . . .).

One more thought--we've got a UCS TIE fighter coming.  This could pair up real nice with Red-5.  If Red-5 is going/gone when the TIE releases does that also help it?

Edited by Caltrops

So I'm starting to look at this set now--in part because of this thread and in part because I do like the set.  I'm also a big Star Wars fan so I get all the "iconic"/significance stuff etc.  I'm trying to be objective here though so I'd be interested on any opinions on this from anyone who feels like it's worth weighing in on.  I also apologize for any redunancy to previous posts.

Basically, my question is:  if you got $199.99 to spend on a set why do you buy Red 5 instead of Slave 1--other than the difference in release date/immenence of EOL--obviously Slave 1 will retire much later (or we expect it will).

With Slave 1 you get 1996 pieces as opposed to 1559 with Red-5

With Slave 1 you get 4 minifigures including the most detalied Boba Fett to date (this figure alone is already bringing some good money; if it stays exclusive it always will).  Red-5 gets you R-2.

Either Slave 1 is underpriced or Red-5 is overpriced.  If both were released on the same day/retiring on the same day and you could only pick one, which would it be?  When I put it to myself like that it's Slave 1 hands down from both a collector and investor perspective.  If you're looking to invest $199.99 on someting that will retire before Slave 1 I'm also not sure Red-5 is the best option (though again, I really do like the set--which maybe says something too--it's a hot looking X-Wing and that'll be enough to carry it regardless of piece count and figures . . .).

One more thought--we've got a UCS TIE fighter coming.  This could pair up real nice with Red-5.  If Red-5 is going/gone when the TIE releases does that also help it?

Only other thing to mention is if R5 is gone quickly and if it was a slow seller you have the potential to have a low print run compared to other sets especially when compared to a slave 1 that seems to be selling well to start.

All these are ifs and speculation but that is what is making this set an interesting one.

I was at the Lego store on Tuesday and I asked the clerk if they had anymore Red 5's. They didn't and he said that people come in asking for the Slave 1, and when he says they don't have any Slave 1's , they get the Red 5 instead.

That's interesting . . . did you happen to ask if they expected to get anymore Red-5's?

Yes and he didn't know. I bought one of the last two Red 5's they had. It's the only one I own. I'm trying to decide if I should get more or just keep this one for me and build it for my collection. Honestly right now if I was looking to spend $199 I'd probably get more ToO.

That's interesting . . . did you happen to ask if they expected to get anymore Red-5's?

I am hopeful for the its going sooner than later and its not coming back type of thought pattern.

But it could come back for a while.

What I find interesting is there is significant reports from everyone going to Lego stores and buying them or the stores being out that...

No Lego brick and mortar stores have told anyone on here that I can see that it is not coming back.

That leads me to believe that this set may have some life left in it for 2015.

Or the sudden stock out is taking everyone by surprise in retail and word of retirement has not started to disseminate yet.

One thing is for sure either production was low priority and an extra large barge is coming to restock considerably overall or LEGO Shop at Home will have a resupply like they did with SSD's to cover backorders and then it will go and then 3 months from now a bunch will turn up on Amazon that they found lost skids or something like the SSD.

No one knows.
Like a slow motion car wreck we will find out soon enough.

Edit: Soon enough = 60 to 90 days from now
Edit of Edit: At least that's what I am thinking
Edit of Edit of Edit: LOL

Well the Red 5 is a freaking X-wing! My personal fave from SW, even more than the Falcon. I think it'll do fine, especially with the new movies coming out. That scene in the previews with the three X-wings flying just above the water. Chills. I just think the retail price is a little high, and that might have affected sales.

When are they making a Terminator lego? Or have they already?

• Like 1

No Terminator Lego.  I think there has been some of that best lock or other terminator which is a well meant but terrible product.  Not really sure.

Having a Terminator Lego would probably be counter intuitive to the positive play well experience Lego wants.

So that would never happen in my opinion.

I think we're overthinking this one.

If it's a big, expensive Star Wars UCS Lego set, the price is only going in one direction.

I concern myself much more with the potential ROI of a $200 Lego investment in other categories. That should be the debate.

The Red 5 is going, and future fans of Lego will want it. You won't lose money.

• Like 3

No Terminator Lego.  I think there has been some of that best lock or other terminator which is a well meant but terrible product.  Not really sure.

Having a Terminator Lego would probably be counter intuitive to the positive play well experience Lego wants.

So that would never happen in my opinion.

Terminator is an angel when you compare it to some of the Hero Factory or Bionicle stuff... or, I don't know, Deadpool...

• Like 1

I think we're overthinking this one.

If it's a big, expensive Star Wars UCS Lego set, the price is only going in one direction.

I concern myself much more with the potential ROI of a $200 Lego investment in other categories. That should be the debate.

The Red 5 is going, and future fans of Lego will want it. You won't lose money.

I think your right. More valid questions could be does the Santa's Workshop, Research Institute (if it stops coming back), or Creative Suitcase or new yet to be named variants of any of this or other stuff have far better quicker percentage returns this Christmas than any of these.  Would I trade my Red 5's and my ToO's I have now and get no more for a semi load of Santa's Workshop and Creative Tower in early December last year. You Betcha.

• Like 1

We just went through a slew of effective (not yet official) retirements during the second half of 2014.  Right now as far as exclusives are concerned I am willing to park some of my money in Red 5's because I think it will be gone before many of the other possibly better long-term investments retire.  There is some decent money to be made during the Episode 7 hype if it's done soon enough. 

• Like 1