10240 - UCS: Red Five X-wing Starfighter

Mos_Eisley

How many 10240 X-Wing sets do you own?  

336 members have voted

1. 1. How many 10240 X-Wing sets do you own?

• 2 to 5
    • 6 to 10
    • 11+
    • ZERO

This poll is closed to new votes

I think we're overthinking this one.

If it's a big, expensive Star Wars UCS Lego set, the price is only going in one direction.

I concern myself much more with the potential ROI of a $200 Lego investment in other categories. That should be the debate.

The Red 5 is going, and future fans of Lego will want it. You won't lose money.

I think we are all on agreement that this is a good investment......it's more of a question of how good like you said.

Just got back from the Stonebriar DFW LEGO Store location. Fully stocked with 4-5 each on ToO, PS, PC, EEE and EV, but they only had ONE Red 5. 'Had' being the operative word. I grabbed it and a ToO. Not sure what, if anything, that indicates, but that's what I saw. 

Just got back from the Stonebriar DFW LEGO Store location. Fully stocked with 4-5 each on ToO, PS, PC, EEE and EV, but they only had ONE Red 5. 'Had' being the operative word. I grabbed it and a ToO. Not sure what, if anything, that indicates, but that's what I saw. 

Thanks for the info. Would you mind posting seal code for your Red5?

Went to my local store 3 on display. I bought a ToO when I can back a guy had grabbed 2 red 5s. I grabbed what I thought was the last 1. After I paid a employee walked from back with 1 more. To put back on shelf. Not sure if just selling tactics to make it seem like they are completely out or if that was really the last 1. My box wasn't perfect but really none of them were but I am happy with my purchases. Passed up on one so many times figured it's late in the game to take any more chances. I'll see how the stock is looking next week and maybe grab another 1.

In my hometown, love that place.  Not very happy with the non stop construction and remodeling the past few years but still cool place overall

Yea I make it down there every few months or so. Construction/Remodeling is still non-stop. It does seem like it's been going on forever and looks to be far from finished. However, that seems to have 0 effect on that Lego store. Place was packed full and I saw two people walk out of there with red fives. No one had bought more than 1 so I'm not sure if they were regular buyers or investors. 

Not sure if this was common knowledge but the employee also mentioned VIPs can get the Helicarrier on 2-17. Even wrote it on my receipt to remind me. 

Yea I make it down there every few months or so. Construction/Remodeling is still non-stop. It does seem like it's been going on forever and looks to be far from finished. However, that seems to have 0 effect on that Lego store. Place was packed full and I saw two people walk out of there with red fives. No one had bought more than 1 so I'm not sure if they were regular buyers or investors. 

Not sure if this was common knowledge but the employee also mentioned VIPs can get the Helicarrier on 2-17. Even wrote it on my receipt to remind me. 

yeah that's what makes it a little less enjoyable is that it will always be that packed but the flow is not near what it was when it was all opened up.  The parking garage is a nightmare compared to when you could park any of the open lots.  I still park on the back lot but that's a haul with double bag exclusives and by the time you've walked that trek 50 people have run into your sets lol.

I still liked the old Pleasure Island days. Some of the new stuff is nice but some just isn't the same.  Eventually when its all done it should be nice but not the same with that big garage blocking the whole complex as you drive in.

Yes Helicarrier is 2/17 VIP release.  

• Like 1

Well, 10220, 10218, and 10188 all went through a period of several months last spring - summer when they were only available online from LEGO Shop at Home.  We all know how that story ends.  10188 even went from limit 5 to limit 2 at that time.  So I'll be convinced of 10240 retirement when I see it sold out at LEGO Shop at Home.  That said, if it comes back at Target or amazon I'll probably pick up a couple.  I couldn't bring myself to order from TRU because I've had enough of their 'substitute random toy for the Lego set actually ordered' policy.

Went to my local Lego store in Pleasanton, CA and they had four on the shelf. Three after I left. Seal code 43R4.

I went back tonight planning on picking up another but they were out! I even asked them to check in the back but no luck. Walked out with a Tumbler instead, so not a total loss of a trip.

Imagining the minutes from monthly TLG production meeting:

"Due to a sustained wordwide post Christmas demand for set 10240 which is expected to continue through the next three quarters, it has been decided to extend production for a further 4 (four) years."

Imagining the minutes from monthly TLG production meeting:

"Due to a sustained wordwide post Christmas demand for set 10240 which is expected to continue through the next three quarters, it has been decided to extend production for a further 4 (four) years."

It could happen...Resellers are sometimes their own worst enemy.

• Like 2

While the consensus here is that the old Millennium Falcon should not get hurt by a possible new one, you could also conclude that the old X-Wing could become more popular (for the first time) once the new movies are out and Red Five is EOL, because it is the newest version of the old model (hence better available). Moreover I think iterations of models from the old trilogy will become rarer in general regarding future UCS releases. Although many original trilogy models had been released after the three follow-up movies, you have to consider that at that time some of them had only gotten 1 or even no iteration at all at that point. So Lego still had to "catch up" in some way. But nowadays and especially after the start of the SW new age beginning December 2015, how probable is it we'll see a new OLD X-Wing soon or a new OLD Death Star? So maybe the Red Five will really start take off just after retirement.

Edited by rfish

Most important thing you have said in this thread and most likely to be ignored

I wonder how fast LEGO can react to sales figures. As a consultant I deal with a lot of big corporations and its ridiculous how slow they are to pivot based on current trends. It takes forever to get anything changed. That being said, LEGO continues to amaze me as a corporation with what it can do. My point is, the big investor/collector craze of buying these up seems to have happened over the past month or so (at least looking at this thread). We've also speculated (key word) that this was a slow seller up until that point. If they already made the decision to let it go, can they now look at the sales figures and outstanding orders over the past 30 days and change production to meet current demand? If they are that agile I will be impressed. I also won't put it past LEGO to have that flexibility. 

Only time will tell. Either way I don't think this is a bad set to throw some money into to diversify your portfolio. It may not be a TH or HH but with it already hitting $279 at AMZ and the new movie coming out to drive hype, you won't lose money.