75159 - UCS: Death Star (2016)

No More Monkeys

117pages and 2/3rds are the speculations of what the new set will be. When it was released, it is probably 30ppl here who are writing and compleaining the same thing last 30 pages. So noone actually cares, in the same way as noone cares about the new SW Hover Tank. Only difference are the people who invested in 10188.

Anyone who has full basement of 10188 and was expecting to make profits like with MF was crazy. It was bad decision even before 75159 was announced. Only excuse is, if there is someone who bought 10188 in 2008/2009, but still, he should get rid of it as fast as he can, when it was 2010+ and it was still available in SaH and people were hoarding this. And the fact that I am not writing here does not mean I did not purchased Lego in years when 10188 was available. I am very happy of the appreciation and especially play and display value of my Lord of the Rings and Kingdoms sets.

10188 was **** playset, 75159  is **** playset, life continues, There is tremendous amount of other sets, some of them are even worse investment than 75159 and some of them are much better. I would be worried much more about the overall quality of sets as there is not more than 5 sets I really like in their current production as a thing to play with, which I can not say about the Lego from 2010 or 1995. These were periods of supreme set production. I sometimes have a feeling, that people here are just investing into Lego like it is a barrel of crude oil. To be able to valuate the sets, one has to enjoy the toy and play with it with kids and afterwards he can easily tell, what is the value of the sets or he has to be at least a collector. And 10188 was terrible set for its value. Bad display value is no go for lot of collectors. And for playing - boys are not girls, 10188 is a star wars doll house for boys which is as a concept totally wrong especially when it is priced how it is priced. Such concept can work for Disney Princess but not for SW.

Nexo Knights, Ninjago, Bionicle, "new" City, mediocre Star Wars ships which were nowhere with figures noone cares about, that are the real issues. TLG is slowly going down with their products, same as on the begining of the millenium, when they started to sink hugely to dust. Lame DS is the top of the iceberg, which actually is hot topic only because a lot of people were greedy seeing their tremendous investment doubled or trippled easily. Otherwise it is not bigger **** than lego chima /nexo etc. and it does not deserve so much  emotions.

Edited by Hennessy
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, Hennessy said:

117pages and 2/3rds are the speculations of what the new set will be. When it was released, it is probably 30ppl here who are writing and compleaining the same thing last 30 pages. So noone actually cares, in the same way as noone cares about the new SW Hover Tank. Only difference are the people who invested in 10188.

Anyone who has full basement of 10188 and was expecting to make profits like with MF was crazy. It was bad decision even before 75159 was announced. Only excuse is, if there is someone who bought 10188 in 2008/2009, but still, he should get rid of it as fast as he can, when it was 2010+ and it was still available in SaH and people were hoarding this. And the fact that I am not writing here does not mean I did not purchased Lego in years when 10188 was available. I am very happy of the appreciation and especially play and display value of my Lord of the Rings and Kingdoms sets.

10188 was **** playset, 75159  is **** playset, life continues, There is tremendous amount of other sets, some of them are even worse investment than 75159 and some of them are much better. I would be worried much more about the overall quality of sets as there is not more than 5 sets I really like in their current production as a thing to play with, which I can not say about the Lego from 2010 or 1995. These were periods of supreme set production. I sometimes have a feeling, that people here are just investing into Lego like it is a barrel of crude oil. To be able to valuate the sets, one has to enjoy the toy and play with it with kids and afterwards he can easily tell, what is the value of the sets or he has to be at least a collector. And 10188 was terrible set for its value. Bad display value is no go for lot of collectors. And for playing - boys are not girls, 10188 is a star wars doll house for boys which is as a concept totally wrong especially when it is priced how it is priced. Such concept can work for Disney Princess but not for SW.

Nexo Knights, Ninjago, Bionicle, "new" City, mediocre Star Wars ships which were nowhere with figures noone cares about, that are the real issues. TLG is slowly going down with their products, same as on the begining of the millenium, when they started to sink hugely to dust. Lame DS is the top of the iceberg, which actually is hot topic only because a lot of people were greedy seeing their tremendous investment doubled or trippled easily. Otherwise it is not bigger **** than lego chima /nexo etc. and it does not deserve so much  emotions.

I don't know about others, but my son (9yo) is crazy about Nexo Knights and Ninjago. Excpecially the Nexo Knights app, where you have to scan those shields, is an added value for the Nexo Knights line. We went to Legoland Billund last month and there are 6 unique shields to be found in the park - that was the most important thing to him: finding those shields asap. So TLG must be doing something right then, no?

Edited by BearCrash
  • Like 3

Thats for longer discussion. If you have a look on he Chima, it was backed up by TV series and a lot of other projects and now where it is? And I believe the Nexo is similar hype wave. When the popularity of Nexo is out, than the set will have zero value. I am not so sure, that the theme can get the same status as the things like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles or Duck tales, which are the golden memories of my childhood. Pirates and classic Castles are neverending golden themes, as these are based on real history and therefor they are not reliable much on the popularity waves of what is cool.

Imagine that TLG would invest the same effort they put to Nexo to Marvel or SW. SW sets with app connectivity would be cool. Or if they could actually release some SuperHeroes sets which actually are cool building toys in way as for example An Unexpected Gathering for Hobbit was. This would be cool.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hennessy said:

Imagine that TLG would invest the same effort they put to Nexo to Marvel or SW. SW sets with app connectivity would be cool. Or if they could actually release some SuperHeroes sets which actually are cool building toys in way as for example An Unexpected Gathering for Hobbit was. This would be cool.

Good point, but that's probably a licensing issue. I assume they have an SW license for making build-able toys, not for computer games.

OK, they obviously do have Lego SW computer games :)

Edited by BearCrash

Some guy on Craigslist wants to trade the new DS for my old one, should I do it? Not sure where he is getting it from and how much but doesn't make sense to buy the new one to trade for my old one when I am selling it for less than $500 on Craigslist. Even if he have employee discounts I still listed mine at $400 cash on Craigslist so it's still cheaper than buying a new one to trade for mine. Unless he gets it for free.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lego_Monsters said:

Some guy on Craigslist wants to trade the new DS for my old one, should I do it? Not sure where he is getting it from and how much but doesn't make sense to buy the new one to trade for my old one when I am selling it for less than $500 on Craigslist. Even if he have employee discounts I still listed mine at $400 cash on Craigslist so it's still cheaper than buying a new one to trade for mine. Unless he gets it for free.

Well, it's entirely up to you.  If you want to fee up capital, no.  If you want the new one, well, then, maybe. 

5 minutes ago, Lego_Monsters said:

May be Lego will buy it back and stick a new sticker on it for 14159 the death star rehash rehashed