75159 - UCS: Death Star (2016)

No More Monkeys

• 3 months later...
32 minutes ago, Bold-Arrow said:

them huge sales are casing me not to buy anything with less than a  40% discount . don't want to be the holding the one holding the carrot when prices are slashed .. enter SC from last year . 

For sure. No point buying early and storing when retailers are going to be slashing prices to clear out a few months prior to EOL.

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Manse1001 said:

And they've increased the RRP price by a tenner!!? Are they not aware that no one actually wants this set!!?

Opportunity then to pick this up for 20% off when Smyths do their sale.  At £329, I'd probably bite, but just for the personal build.

Edited by LahH001
  • Like 1

I think the amount of hate this set gets is unwarranted. The 10188 always struck me as an "evergreen" set. LEGO was always going to have it available for people to collect. It was the set kids and adults would aspire to own one day. With all of the advancements TLG has made in their sets, printing, stickers, minifigs etc. it would make sense that at some point this was going to need a facelift if it was going to stay on the market. I like what they changed and glad they did it. This is like the greatest gift a parent could give to their child if they are a LEGO and Star Wars fan.

36 minutes ago, Harley Quinn said:

I think the amount of hate this set gets is unwarranted. The 10188 always struck me as an "evergreen" set. LEGO was always going to have it available for people to collect. It was the set kids and adults would aspire to own one day. With all of the advancements TLG has made in their sets, printing, stickers, minifigs etc. it would make sense that at some point this was going to need a facelift if it was going to stay on the market. I like what they changed and glad they did it. This is like the greatest gift a parent could give to their child if they are a LEGO and Star Wars fan.

welcome to BP and it's cool to approve your 1st post.

with regards to the 75159 "hate", it's because many AFOLs and investors who purchased 10188 or didn't because of the announcement of its replace, are very disappointed.  75159 offers very little difference to 10188 (what's in the box-wise) to justify the price increase.  even the manual and stickers are pretty much the same.

while i agree 75159 is a great set to own for folks who never picked up 10188 and the only TLG process, design, etc... advancements since 2008 that have been implemented are really just with the minifig updates.  however, many of the included "key" minifigs can be obtained in far cheaper sets. 

38 minutes ago, Harley Quinn said:

I hate this set because it represents uninspired creativity which is pretty much the exact opposite of why I enjoy LEGO.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, gbg108 said:

I hate this set because it represents uninspired creativity which is pretty much the exact opposite of why I enjoy LEGO.

The quote by one of the 75159 designers sums what you typed. 

He found the most challenging design aspect to be redesigning Vader's TIE for the larger minifig helmet. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, jaisonline said:

The quote by one of the 75159 designers sums what you typed. 

He found the most challenging design aspect to be redesigning Vader's TIE for the larger minifig helmet. 

I never even bothered to watch the designer video. Doesn't look like I missed much

1 hour ago, KShine said:

This re-release and LEGO's virtual lie/knowing deception about the retirement of the 10188 has had an impact on all higher valued LEGO sets.

It is an impact which might be permanent.

Not a lie really, LEGO do this all the time: retire a set, change a few bits, then release under a different set number. However,  I agree there is a permanent impact

• Like 2