75159 - UCS: Death Star (2016)

No More Monkeys

• 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Mhd747 said:

I was at my local lego store this weekend, supposedly this has been selling quite well (few sets a day) which is a good number for my store, considering they usually don't sell alot of big sets that frequently. 

So, to look at the positives, there are still plenty of new people getting into Lego and willing to shell out serious cash.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, jaisonline said:

I wonder if both innovative 10188 Lego designers were involved with the uninspiring 75159...

Lol at this point they are just trolling:

"You have to take chances when you can. You have to create the best model possible. Who knows if or when there will be another LEGO Death Star model?"

If you leave out the second sentence it applies perfectly to LEGO investors :rofl:

• Like 2

So I bought the latest issue of "Blocks" magazine, quite good read tbh.

Anyway they had a small article on this set, an interesting bit I noticed was:

"The press release for the UCS set - which carries the hallowed gold label of authenticity, so there'll at least be no arguing over its status - was accomplished by a disclaimer that we shouldn't expect any future re-releases or updates as a consequence. so that's the Millenium Falcon off the table, then (or not, if it's prominent silhouette on the box is any indication)."

Has anyone got any info on this disclaimer? I don't recall seeing anything stated, or maybe I just missed it.

Edited by Mhd747

2 minutes ago, Mhd747 said:

So I bought the latest issue of "Blocks" magazine, quite good read tbh.

Anyway they had a small article on this set, an interesting bit I noticed was:

"The press release for the UCS set - which carries the hallowed gold label of authenticity, so there'll at least be no arguing over its status - was accomplished by a disclaimer that we shouldn't expect any future re-releases or updates as a consequence. so that's the Millenium Falcon off the table, then (or not, if it's prominent silhouette on the box is any indication)."

Has anyone got any info on this disclaimer? I don't recall seeing anything stated, or maybe I just missed it.

Yes, it has been mentioned before but was an internal message for affiliates - not for the public per se.

I was amazed at how many people were buying this when i went into the LEGO store today for some Revans... I was there maybe 5-10 minutes on my way home from work and saw at least 3 people buying it. And no not just looking at it, buying it. I even got to overhear one of the employees explain to the customer what all had changed when he asked, she was really grasping at straws trying to up-sell it lol.

At one point she mentioned a few new pieces added that were visible on the outside and not just for structural integrity and i was so hoping to hear something about the cheese wedge :P

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Sandwraith said:

I was amazed at how many people were buying this when i went into the LEGO store today for some Revans... I was there maybe 5-10 minutes on my way home from work and saw at least 3 people buying it. And no not just looking at it, buying it. I even got to overhear one of the employees explain to the customer what all had changed when he asked, she was really grasping at straws trying to up-sell it lol.

At one point she mentioned a few new pieces added that were visible on the outside and not just for structural integrity and i was so hoping to hear something about the cheese wedge :P

I guess 999 VIP points is an incentive for those who have been waiting

• Like 1

So I was just at my Lego store today.  I was late to the party, so it was my first time seeing the death star in person.  Pictures absolutely do not do the death star justice.  I was surprised by the size of this thing.  I can also see why so many hoarded the last one.  I would have done the same.  I asked the sales rep and he said it's selling just fine.  He couldn't really tell me what was the difference from the last one apart from "it's got some added details". 

2 minutes ago, legoboy16 said:

So I was just at my Lego store today.  I was late to the party, so it was my first time seeing the death star in person.  Pictures absolutely do not do the death star justice.  I was surprised by the size of this thing.  I can also see why so many hoarded the last one.  I would have done the same.  I asked the sales rep and he said it's selling just fine.  He couldn't really tell me what was the difference from the last one apart from "it's got some added details". 

Was this the rep?

2 minutes ago, legoboy16 said:

Edited by Val-E
  • Like 2

So let's say you caved and bought one of these Death Stars, because you knew it was coming and decided to wait instead of buying the old version and also because of that fantastic Han Solo hair.

What's a good set of stormtroopers to buy and populate said Death Star? The closest I can find seems to be 75078 Imperial Troop Transport. Is there anything better out there?

3 hours ago, jonnyhanukkah said:

So let's say you caved and bought one of these Death Stars, because you knew it was coming and decided to wait instead of buying the old version and also because of that fantastic Han Solo hair.

What's a good set of stormtroopers to buy and populate said Death Star? The closest I can find seems to be 75078 Imperial Troop Transport. Is there anything better out there?

The Rogue one battle pack with OT troopers (released early next year) might be a good option too as you can get some death trooper batallions built up too.

Yeap that set is good but forget about those guns. Get yourself some proper medium blasters from Bricklink or Brickowl.

Yeah, that's what I did.

That's as good as it gets.
  • Like 1