Ideas #011: 21304 - Doctor Who

TheOrcKing

Doctor Who  

200 members have voted

1. 1. Were you familiar with The Doctor before the set?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Who?

12 minutes ago, Fenix_2k1 said:

I picked all mine up at 30 or less. @TabbyBoy has picked up a lot even cheaper than that. 

Argos have it in 3 for 2 offer for delivery but you risk trashed boxes. Tesco still have it at £35 but I'm willing to bet it will be OOS there by end of the day.  

I think Argos is done now.  Interesting to see how long the Tesco stock lasts.  Once that's gone its still available at numerous retailers in the UK but at RRP.  Could be another tumbler where it goes from LEGO Shop at Home but continually available 

Some nice buyin there though.  > 40% off is a good (not sure what kind of discount people were stocking up on Exo on though as that was before my time - and just to be clear in no way am i comparing this to Exosuit, more the availability of the set and at what price.)

3 minutes ago, GiliusThunderhead said:

I think Argos is done now.  Interesting to see how long the Tesco stock lasts.  Once that's gone its still available at numerous retailers in the UK but at RRP.  Could be another tumbler where it goes from LEGO Shop at Home but continually available 

Some nice buyin there though.  > 40% off is a good (not sure what kind of discount people were stocking up on Exo on though as that was before my time - and just to be clear in no way am i comparing this to Exosuit, more the availability of the set and at what price.)

People were buying Exo at RRP by the boat load, determined not to miss out like they did with the Rover. Be glad you missed out.

On 9/28/2016 at 10:43 AM, GiliusThunderhead said:

You should think of the Exosuit as dose of gout or something you need to go to the VD clinic for... I'm still trying to get rid of mine.......

Retiring soon might be another ploy by lego to shift this sets slow moving stock. 

One of the key things for this sets investment potential is the "limited" number of people who have horded it, as it seems only the "british colonies" country bought into it.

This set can be a winner, however if the retiring soon tag dissapears and another big production run happens, that will almost certain make it into the next exo suit.

The almost permanent £35 price is probably a more better representation of what most people paid for instead of RRP.

The HUKD lot are now also aware of the "impending" retirement, so if this set doesn't retire by end of next month, it seems like this will be a loser 

I don't think Lego has ever marked a set as retiring soon, only to produce another big run. There would be uproar from customers who felt rushed into buying it.

Whether another retailer like Smyths has stockpiled it though, is another issue. It's still in stock at Smyths UK at the mo.

Still limit 5 at SAH too FWIW.

Edited by tractorboy
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, tractorboy said:

I don't think Lego has ever marked a set as retiring soon, only to produce another big run. There would be uproar from customers who felt rushed into buying it.

Whether another retailer like Smyths has stockpiled it though, is another issue. It's still in stock at Smyths UK at the mo.

I've recently seen 04S6 seal codes on the Winter Toy shop that has been brought back to life along side Santas Workshop, both were marked as retired by SAH.  Trust no one !!! ;o)

Edited by Manse1001

19 minutes ago, Mhd747 said:

The HUKD lot are now also aware of the "impending" retirement, so if this set doesn't retire by end of next month, it seems like this will be a loser 

I never really understand the logic of some people posting these things on HUKD and letting every mom & pop jump on the bandwagon.

Is HUKD reputation worth more than money? 

I know we post deals on here but it's a Lego investment site, most users have some sense when it comes to expectations and we all tend to help each other out without inviting every Tom, **** & Harriet to the party.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, tractorboy said:

We are long past the point of trusting anything TLG says or does on their web.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, tractorboy said:

Maybe too soon for jokes but DS????

17 minutes ago, Val-E said:

Agree with you there.  Could just be a "work experience mistake"

27 minutes ago, Fenix_2k1 said:

I never really understand the logic of some people posting these things on HUKD and letting every mom & pop jump on the bandwagon.

Is HUKD reputation worth more than money? 

I know we post deals on here but it's a Lego investment site, most users have some sense when it comes to expectations and we all tend to help each other out without inviting every Tom, **** & Harriet to the party.

There will always be folks selling their souls to the devil only for getting other people's attention.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Val-E said:

Fair point, but anyone who thinks Lego is going to start producing more Dr Who sets at this stage, after it's been readily available at discount at several different retailers, is barking up the wrong tree.

• Like 2

Guest TabbyBoy

Do you lot remember when the Delorean was stacked up high on shelves everywhere and often available at a discount and at 3-for-2 in the UK (£23.33 irn Argos)?

Since Dr Who is only the longest running Sci-Fi (53yrs and counting) drama in history, how can it not have a loyal following and this set not be a collector's item for even non-LEGO fans?

Once this set finally gets the "Retired Product" tag, I can see the horde cleaning up within days, if not hours. Remember it's BBC licensed product and how long will that licence last?

FWIW... I don't bother with HKUD anymore as the best deals are either sold out or at the other end of the country. I just browse supermarket sites every couple of days in the early hours and take a punt when I spot something that I think nobody else has.

1 hour ago, tractorboy said:

Fair point, but anyone who thinks Lego is going to start producing more Dr Who sets at this stage, after it's been readily available at discount at several different retailers, is barking up the wrong tree.

What if they pull a Tumbler and it turns out the last run equates to 1 unit per living person in the world, though?

1 hour ago, TabbyBoy said:

Do you lot remember when the Delorean was stacked up high on shelves everywhere and often available at a discount and at 3-for-2 in the UK (£23.33 irn Argos)?

Since Dr Who is only the longest running Sci-Fi (53yrs and counting) drama in history, how can it not have a loyal following and this set not be a collector's item for even non-LEGO fans?

Once this set finally gets the "Retired Product" tag, I can see the horde cleaning up within days, if not hours. Remember it's BBC licensed product and how long will that licence last?

FWIW... I don't bother with HKUD anymore as the best deals are either sold out or at the other end of the country. I just browse supermarket sites every couple of days in the early hours and take a punt when I spot something that I think nobody else has.

If it sells out on SAH before the end of the London bus and 10 euro crossover promo, I´ll side with you. If it is still available by end of October after 2xVIP at limit 5 then buyer beware.

11 minutes ago, Val-E said:

What if they pull a Tumbler and it turns out the last run equates to 1 unit per living person in the world, though?

Well if it does a tumbler it’ll go to 1.4 RRP overnight and those of us that have many at 0.7 RRP or less will be laughing.  

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, wolvergeek said:

Never seen this show. Only heard about it a few years ago. I'm 41. BTTF has way more global fans than Dr. Who. Don't own any and probably won't even buy one for personal build.

Source? 

This isn't science either, but Doctor Who's Wikipedia page has 3 x the word count of BTTF. 

Edited by biking_tiger
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, TANV said:

Somewhere on the Internet perhaps? Facebook maybe?

In that case, Doctor Who has 5,274,812 likes to BTTF's 4,268,230. 

We are all just shouting in the darkness. We love time travel shows because we can't time travel (except for the slow, plodding way we do every day.) No one knows how well the Doctor Who will perform after retirement... not without a real Tardis or Delorean, that is. 

(For the record, the highest number of likes on Facebook for a Ghostbusters page is 3,096,801--and we see how the Ecto-1 has sold. Not sure Facebook is the best indicator of sales or popularity overall.)

Edited by biking_tiger
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, wolvergeek said:

BTTF has way more global fans than Dr. Who. 

Maybe / Maybe not, but what does that matter?  SW probably has more still, maybe Marvel has more now as well.   What about Batman sure he has a few fans.    None of this relates to the viability of Doctor Who set post EOL.  

Doctor Who will do well post EOL, the latent demand is there.  Maybe not to the extent of BTTF but the game has changed somewhat since then, so I doubt we’ll ever see an ideas set do that well again.  

As a slight aside, I’d also put more money on a BTTF remake than a Doctor Who remake. And if Lego secure licensing for a CMF series, all bets are off.  Although I do admit this isn’t all that likely now.