Ideas #011: 21304 - Doctor Who

TheOrcKing

Doctor Who  

200 members have voted

1. 1. Were you familiar with The Doctor before the set?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Who?

In The Netherlands, the only way to get the Doctor Who set cheaper than through LEGO LEGO Shop at Home is through a foreign Amazon store, like UK for example. The set is not sold in toy stores. And at independent pop&mom LEGO oriented stores you more likely pay above LEGO LEGO Shop at Home price. So provided there's demand after EOL, it's hard to lose money on this set here.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, thoroakenfelder said:

I put together 5 of the Dimensions Cyberman Fun Packs last night. I really want them to make some sets that have more Doctors and Companions and enemies. Thinking about digging out my Lone Ranger sets and throwing a scene together with some of the Daleks.

Every time I can get ahold of Cyberman packs at $5, I pick them up.  Not sure if I'm going to create an army or sell them someday.  I'm like you though - I want more companions!

As soon as I'm done putting together my puriest Amy and Rory figure, I'll post a pic.  I've also got a Doctor Who and the Autons pic to take, as soon as I finish up a little something something.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
13 minutes ago, BP said:

As staded in the 'Retiring soon' topic, this one has been labeled with the 'Retiring soon' Tag in Lego LEGO Shop at Home. 

Looks like they had a one year license? 

Good news! Unexpected early retirement for this Ideas set, ahead of Ecto-1, Wall-E and TBBT. That will certainly work in its favour for future value development! :) 

Hi guys sorry I'm not an expert I'm from the UK and am happy to see this set retiring soon. Firstly does anyone know roughly the average time for lego to retire this set from announcing retiring soon. Secondly I couldn't help but notice if you change your region to US the set is labelled as new, was it released in the US later than the UK?

5 minutes ago, cfab4 said:

Hi guys sorry I'm not an expert I'm from the UK and am happy to see this set retiring soon. Firstly does anyone know roughly the average time for lego to retire this set from announcing retiring soon. Secondly I couldn't help but notice if you change your region to US the set is labelled as new, was it released in the US later than the UK?

Depends how many they have made and how quick people buy them.

A retiring soon sign is usual not great from and investor´s POV as it means demand is probably not as high as expected.

In for 50 BTW.

15 minutes ago, Haay said:

Good news! Unexpected early retirement for this Ideas set, ahead of Ecto-1, Wall-E and TBBT. That will certainly work in its favour for future value development! :) 

Trivia time. Which was the last Ideas set to be tagged "retiring soon"?

4 minutes ago, Val-E said:

A retiring soon sign is usual not great from and investor´s POV as it means demand is probably not as high as expected.

Perhaps it is just an expensive license (plus paying the designer) so it's a matter or demand vs production cost.  If demand was the only issue, TBBT has been heavily discounted and has even been given the SAH extra VIP points bump.  This one hasn't really been available below retail in the US without coupons/GCs etc.

Side theory: Sets with less demand like TBBT are allowed to linger since they are owned by WBs, which has a lot more properties that Lego wishes to continue producing, while the BBC doesn't.  Lego used their license to make a few Doctors, a companion, Cybermen, a Tardis, and 2 versions of Dalek.  They don't see much room for growth and recognize they have to retire something in the Ideas line with new sets on the horizon.  Wall-e (Disney) Ecto-1 (GBHQ pairing/good seller), Maze (new), and TBBT (see above) all have reasons to stick around.  This one probably doesn't. 

Renew the license with no new sets to make, or just do a Scrooge McDuck dive into your 1-year Doctor Who profits and start pushing that yellow car thing?  Sorry for rambling, just taking you guys with me through my thought exercise on this one...

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

20% off at Amazon for me after no tax and 5% off w/ store card

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00ZSJMBHS/ref=sxts1?ie=UTF8&qid=1475004857&sr=1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65

Yes, but I guess I should have said "much below retail", since 20%, limit 2 isn't causing people to add shelves to their basement.  Touche sir.

9 minutes ago, Sfcommando14 said:

Perhaps it is just an expensive license (plus paying the designer) so it's a matter or demand vs production cost.  If demand was the only issue, TBBT has been heavily discounted and has even been given the SAH extra VIP points bump.  This one hasn't really been available below retail in the US without coupons/GCs etc.

Side theory: Sets with less demand like TBBT are allowed to linger since they are owned by WBs, which has a lot more properties that Lego wishes to continue producing, while the BBC doesn't.  Lego used their license to make a few Doctors, a companion, Cybermen, a Tardis, and 2 versions of Dalek.  They don't see much room for growth and recognize they have to retire something in the Ideas line with new sets on the horizon.  Wall-e (Disney) Ecto-1 (GBHQ pairing/good seller), Maze (new), and TBBT (see above) all have reasons to stick around.  This one probably doesn't. 

Renew the license with no new sets to make, or just do a Scrooge McDuck dive into your 1-year Doctor Who profits and start pushing that yellow car thing?  Sorry for rambling, just taking you guys with me through my thought exercise on this one...

It´s curious that TBBT was discounted on SAH and that Amazon UK has been discounting Dr Who heavily too. I´d say they have limited scope as investment fodder (Ecto, Wall E seem to be stronger, less niched items). I might guess that both will be gone by the end of they year as there are two new Ideas sets about to be released next quarter.

Edited by Val-E
  • Like 1

I built the Doctor Who set for my own collection and I'm not even a big Doctor Who fan! But it's a really nice set and it looks excellent on display. Nice minifigs as well. 

Ideas sets are usually not sold at retail stores in The Netherlands, so they've hardly seen any discount here. Average sale price on Marktplaats is between 55 and 65 Euro. 

Edited by Haay
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Val-E said:

I got one last xmas for 35 euros and I think I´ll hold. Not a huge market for this here and all the UK ebayers who got it cheap will be flooding the market with their devalued currency for months to come.

I have a weird reason to care about this one.  Last Christmas was my first feeble attempts at reselling (QFing to be precise).  I bought 6 of these when they first came out to get GBHs and try to flip them before Christmas.  I did not flip them as scarcity didn't materialize on ebay (I was an ignorant newbie), but the GBHs leave my buy-in in the high $30s.  I very much hope this one retires, as it was accidentally my first true "investment" purchase :)

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

Just remember... there is no active show on the air right now. Doctor Who won't be back on the air until the Christmas Day special. Then it won't be back until April 2017.

Didn´t harm the Delorean. I just feel that Dr Who and TBBT are far too niche to make the gains of that set. Same applies to the Caterham - it´s no Porsche.