Ideas #011: 21304 - Doctor Who

TheOrcKing

Doctor Who  

200 members have voted

1. 1. Were you familiar with The Doctor before the set?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Who?

11 hours ago, outatime said:

Talking of the Cyberman set does anyone have the build instructions for the Dalek that comes with it? Its not the same as the Ideas set Dalek!

Opened mine this morning to scan it, but then the instructions don't come with it (except for the minifig). "Continue building in-game". Just great. I don't have the game, and I don't plan on getting it. So, count me in line for the instructions. :-/

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Nice pics, I really like this set, nice detail and some cool minifigs, personally I think it will do well after retirement. In the UK there is a big fan base for Dr Who, I was in London a few weeks back and I found a whole shop dedicated to Dr Who memorabilia which open my eyes to how huge the fan base actually is!! If you keep your eyes open you can find this set at discount from time to time, not one to be over looked in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, wotguvnotmeguv said:

I wonder if a minifig set of companions might be coming to extend the life of the set. Will be a bit weird to have Clara on the shelves when she's no longer in the series.

Without a series on the air this year, I don't think we'll see any new sets.  I'm willing to bet that we won't see any new sets until the new series starts up in 2017.  I think they're going to want a new series to support the sets and vice versa.

Just now, Alpinemaps said:

Without a series on the air this year, I don't think we'll see any new sets.  I'm willing to bet that we won't see any new sets until the new series starts up in 2017.  I think they're going to want a new series to support the sets and vice versa.

Not one and done?

2 hours ago, exciter1 said:

Not one and done?

I don't believe so.  Doctor Who merchandise has a much larger appeal with a larger audience than you might expect.  I listen to a couple of different DW podcasts, and it was big news in the DW world when Dimensions and Ideas were announced.

I think the larger issue right now, for those of you that don't follow DW closely, is that this is a "wilderness year" - no new television content this year.  Basically, there was a series (or season) that wrapped up late November 2015.  And there was a Christmas Special (a television movie, basically, that airs on Christmas Day), and then that's it.  They announced late last year that there would be no new DW airing in 2016 (well, there will be a Christmas Special, so one new episode in 2016).  The general expectation is that they are moving DW back to airing in the spring, and that we'll get new episodes around this time in 2017.  Worst case, they will keep it in the fall (which is when it traditionally airs), and we won't see new episodes until September 2017.

That is honestly a long time to go without any new content to view.  Or any new, ongoing, mainstream content to support a toy line.

Of course, the flip argument is that there is a ton of DW licenses material out there now, and it does just fine, with or without a television series airing.  But, it could be LEGO's call as to whether they even want to put it out without a show to back it up.

There are DW threads on other LEGO boards, and LEGO threads on DW boards.  Obviously, the online segment is pretty small, but the ideas about what could be done with a DW line are aplenty.  I think DW fandom would explode if a DW theme were officially announced.

I feel like, since it is a show that takes place in a variety of times and locales, pretty much any abandoned idea for most themes could be repurposed for Doctor Who. It would only involve a little bit of research to figure it out. 4th Doctor set with Sarah Jane and an Anubis headed minifigure, throw in some Egypt themed stuff and you have the Pyramids of Mars. Tribal warriors and a disused Indiana Jones set, you could add in 1st Doctor, Susan and Ian and you'd have the Aztecs. Reissue it in a limited edition in black, greys and white, and you'd be printing money. Basically, since the Doctor can go to any time frame, they can use space, castle, western, or any one of most of their properties. All they would need to do is create a few new molds for some of the aliens. They could even reissue just the tardis with some different decoration, or create a new console room or three to attach to the existing TARDIS.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, wotguvnotmeguv said:

So what is the Character Building situation then? I've seen several references to them having a license that restricts Lego's ability to put out more than the one set, but I haven't seen anything new from them for at least 18 months.

That's the first I've heard about that.  That's interesting to consider.  The last thing that CB did with the license included the 11th Doctor.  He hasn't been there for over two years now.

• 2 weeks later...

Limited Doctor Who this year.   No retailer wants to be holding the stock for what could be 18 months before interest picks up again.  Series 10 will premiere in Spring 2017. 

This could well be the perfect storm for the set, heavy discounts this year with limited buyer interest, poor global sales overall and the show on hiatus.  If the US market doesn’t take to the set, then it could be absolutely golden for the UK in a few years time.  

The only question is how well the other ideas sets are doing?   I’m hoping for the Maze to really take off.  

• Like 1

Just now, feed said:

Limited Doctor Who this year.   No retailer wants to be holding the stock for what could be 18 months before interest picks up again.  Series 10 will premiere in Spring 2017. 

This could well be the perfect storm for the set, heavy discounts this year with limited buyer interest, poor global sales overall and the show on hiatus.  If the US market doesn’t take to the set, then it could be absolutely golden for the UK in a few years time.  

The only question is how well the other ideas sets are doing?   I’m hoping for the Maze to really take off.  

I like this set, Doctor Who has a very strong fan base and if I can regularly pick up the set at great prices through out the year all the better.

I wonder about the Maze, reviews are great, but the price point holds me back and there's no movie or TV show, to pull non Lego fans in from. Be interesting to see what kind of discounts are available when it's more readily available than it currently is.

3 minutes ago, Sprocket77 said:

I like this set, Doctor Who has a very strong fan base and if I can regularly pick up the set at great prices through out the year all the better.

I wonder about the Maze, reviews are great, but the price point holds me back and there's no movie or TV show, to pull non Lego fans in from. Be interesting to see what kind of discounts are available when it's more readily available than it currently is.

You know how nuts Who fans are, this set is going to be money over here anyway, whatever, but low general population interest this year could curtail its life.  If that happens, demand for this set then will be incredible.  If either it’s a one off, or is followed by a full or mini-fig range.  

Maze I think is a bit of a dark horse.  Incidentally I think one of the reasons we’ve seen Ecto-1 around for so long, is that’s the strongest selling ideas set.