Ideas #011: 21304 - Doctor Who

TheOrcKing

Doctor Who  

200 members have voted

1. 1. Were you familiar with The Doctor before the set?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Who?

9 minutes ago, zak001 said:

Brand awareness isn't fandom. If you stand outside a grocery store with both for sale, I'd wager the Doctors get more takers.

I think that's the point to take away from the comparison.  I refuse to believe after all of my anecdotal experiences at dozens of sci-fi, comic and entertainment cons that BBT can compare to Dr. Whos fanbase in terms of passion towards the brand.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, scuttfarkas said:

Speaking specifically on the LEGO sets ( but also generally on merchandise generated by their respective shows)....I'd imagine the fans of Dr. Who are much more willing to shell out 59.99 (and up) on a LEGO set of the Dr. as opposed to fans of BBT shelling out 59.99 on a LEGO set of that show.

I like both shows.....but I think there's a great underestimating of the icon status of the good Dr.  To me, the big mistake TLC did was not including a Tom Baker Dr. figure. 

Not to mention that the fans of The Doctor are part of the Nerds With Money collective. There's also a passion in the fandom that isn't present in BBT folks. I have a theory that a show that makes you cry is way more collectible than one that makes you laugh. It goes hand in hand with my theory that: more fanfic written = more collectible product.

• Like 3

I grew up playing with LEGO bricks and watching Tom Baker's Doctor Who on Saturday afternoons. Without Doctor Who and Godzilla movies, my childhood would have been much less creative and fun. Doctor Who is an iconic figure to dorks like me in their 40s who were looking for Sci Fi programs. Doctor Who deserves a theme in my opinion. As a matter of fact, they should do versions of all the Doctors.

On a side note....I just came back from the new LEGO store in Cherry Hill and bought....guess what...the new Ideas Doctor Who set. .

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, marcandre said:

TRU parking lot is the only real way to know. 

If HGTV's Property Brothers wasn't in the poll, the soccer moms wouldn't participate.  The audience would be too skewed.  There's plenty of old people at the grocery store, like Ed, to make make the numbers more reasonable.  Although, they may not be old nerds.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alpinemaps said:

*sigh*

It's DOCTOR WHO.  Not Dr. Who.

The viewship number for TBBT is probably bigger than DW.  However, the fandom for DW is probably much larger than TBBT.  This fandom will keep this set making serious coin for years to come.

And only a true Doctor Who fan could understand the Whose Big Bang paradox. 

• Like 1

So I must ask....let's assume someone buys this for $60 and has 5% sales tax.  With no discounts, gift cards, or whatever else, their cost is $63 buy-in.  Selling at $90 on ebay with free shipping, you're down to $78 after ebay/paypal, maybe $8 shipping....despite the variables, are people really selling this for such a small profit?

8 minutes ago, supergman said:

So I must ask....let's assume someone buys this for $60 and has 5% sales tax.  With no discounts, gift cards, or whatever else, their cost is $63 buy-in.  Selling at $90 on ebay with free shipping, you're down to $78 after ebay/paypal, maybe $8 shipping....despite the variables, are people really selling this for such a small profit?

Same thing folks are doing with SW advent, RE, and plenty of other sets. QFLL margins are slimmer than ever. 

Edited by marcandre

4 minutes ago, marcandre said:

Same thing folks are doing with SW advent and plenty of other sets. QFLL margins are slimmer than ever. 

Yeah, that's what I've been noticing.  I buy a lot of Lego but mostly for myself, kids, and give a lot of it to local charities.  I sell some stuff that I just don't want, but the profit is so little sometimes that I wonder why waste the time.  But then again, I did sell three Dr. Who sets for 90$ each. ;) 

Here we go down this long and winding road....been there debated that.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Darth_Raichu said:

Let me guess, "I'll explain later" ;)

Spoilers, sweetie.

59 minutes ago, supergman said:

What's that about assume?  It makes an ass out of u and me?

It's extremely easy to get this down to $40 with the coupons that are out there.  With your numbers, you're closing in on doubling your buy-in for QFLL'ing.  Which you can reinvest back in this set to flip again.

We shouldn't go down this road *again*, but just sayin'....

If TRU had it in stock today, I could have gotten it down to $9 with Rewards and Coupons and discounted gift cards.

• Like 2