Ideas #011: 21304 - Doctor Who

TheOrcKing

Doctor Who  

200 members have voted

1. 1. Were you familiar with The Doctor before the set?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Who?

Question of the Day.

Anyone here thinking of parting out this set?

I've just had a look at the Sold section on Ebay UK and based on average sales, in theory you can get £90 for the set parted out.

Of course, this is based on a short period of sales and all in the Christmas lead up.

Assuming you paid RRP, after standard fees for FVF & Paypal that's £26 profit or approx 52%.

I've never parted out before but this is tempting.

Question of the Day.

Anyone here thinking of parting out this set?

I've just had a look at the Sold section on Ebay UK and based on average sales, in theory you can get £90 for the set parted out.

Of course, this is based on a short period of sales and all in the Christmas lead up.

Assuming you paid RRP, after standard fees for FVF & Paypal that's £26 profit or approx 52%.

I've never parted out before but this is tempting.

By the time you make your decision, purchase the sets and get the listings on eBay 50 other sellers will be doing exactly the same. That £90 will soon become £65 when the QFLL's think they're going to retire on the same idea. Factor in packaging, the hassle of individually splitting everything and umpteen trips to the post office standing Christmas queues and you'll soon be questioning why on earth you ever wanted to part out. Good luck if it's what you want to do, but I couldn't think of anything more laborious for such a poor return.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, randrace said:

I've been parting out this set. It is a bit of work. The bags are not numbered, and it is inconvenient to split it up. Great set, though. If you decide to part this one out, make sure to include calculated international shipping. Most of my sales have been overseas.

It looked like a lot of work. I couldn't decide if it was better to sell the TARDIS and the console room separately. Since, I couldn't figure out  at what price point it made sense to part it.

8 minutes ago, Migration said:

I've done both, the extra cash of separating the two isn't worth the extra work in my opinion. It is worth pulling out the Daleks though.

Oh, I expected that. People want more Daleks without buying a whole additional set. I wonder what the Dimensions set will do to the price of the loose Daleks.

• 4 weeks later...

Set Splitting News:

I have now parted out 6 of these sets. After selling swiftly since the set's release, minifigures sales have slowed. I've been building the Police Box, and selling it built, which has been the most desirable part of the set on EBay. I still recommend this set to those who have never parted a set out and want to get a feel for what is involved. Plan on 1 1/2 - 2 hours to divide the pieces. You won't get rich parting this set out, you'll make about $30-$35 per set and you will have to be patient. This one is my pick for no lose parter-outer training.

Edited by randrace
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, randrace said:

Set Splitting News:

I have now parted out 6 of these sets. After selling swiftly since the set's release, minifigures sales have slowed. I've been building the Police Box, and selling it built, which has been the most desirable part of the set on EBay. I still recommend this set to those who have never parted a set out and want to get a feel for what is involved. Plan on 1 1/2 - 2 hours to divide the pieces. You won't get rich parting this set out, you'll make about $30-$35 per set and you will have to be patient. This one is my pick for no lose parter-outer training.

I was thinking about the new Dimensions Fun Pack and I see $10 each on the Dalek and Cyberman. What do you think?

Does anyone know how well this set has sold so far?  I was in England at Xmas and it was the only set still on the shelves when nearly everything else was gone, I personally love this set and even if it didn't do well I know its going to do well when its finished due to the following Dr Who has.    Wonder how its gone over here in America compared to the UK?

I got the dimensions Cyberman set today which I will add to the display.    I am going to start picking up the Who sets later in the year and also the Dimension sets to sell with it, seems like a solid plan.

Talking of the Cyberman set does anyone have the build instructions for the Dalek that comes with it? Its not the same as the Ideas set Dalek!

Stu

3 hours ago, thoroakenfelder said:

I was thinking about the new Dimensions Fun Pack and I see $10 each on the Dalek and Cyberman. What do you think?

I would've bought a bunch of those Cybermen. Amazon had em at half price presale. I didn't buy any, as I'm LEGO rich, cash poor. But I bet Cyberman Minifigure will do well outside of the U S and within. Also interested in seeing how this Daelek variation does. Has the same printed disc as Ideas version. I bet it does well.

Edited by randrace

1 hour ago, outatime said:

Does anyone know how well this set has sold so far?  I was in England at Xmas and it was the only set still on the shelves when nearly everything else was gone, I personally love this set and even if it didn't do well I know its going to do well when its finished due to the following Dr Who has.    Wonder how its gone over here in America compared to the UK?

I got the dimensions Cyberman set today which I will add to the display.    I am going to start picking up the Who sets later in the year and also the Dimension sets to sell with it, seems like a solid plan.

Talking of the Cyberman set does anyone have the build instructions for the Dalek that comes with it? Its not the same as the Ideas set Dalek!

Stu

US support is strong for this set (based on minifigure sales.) That being said, the set is selling for less than retail on EBay here. I think this one will be gold after retirement.

26 minutes ago, randrace said:

I would've bought a bunch of those Cybermen. Amazon had em at half price presale. I didn't buy any, as I'm LEGO rich, cash poor. But I bet Cyberman Minifigure will do well outside of the U S and within. Also interested in seeing how this Daelek variation does. Has the same printed disc as Ideas version. I bet it does well.

Amazon is limiting to 3, I got 5 at Toysrus and 2 at gamestop.