Ideas #011: 21304 - Doctor Who

TheOrcKing

Doctor Who  

200 members have voted

1. 1. Were you familiar with The Doctor before the set?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Who?

9 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

Okay, I'll chime in since you Brits don't know what you're talking about :P

Who are you calling a Brit, I only live here. :P

i can only go by what my American friends say.  Which is usually that they cannot get BBC America at all or have to pay a lot for it.  They also said some PBS stations have been playing new who, the Tennant and Smith eras. 

I agree with your last sentence though. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Mindbender said:

I think some folks are really underestimating the Netflix effect. I do not have BBC America and was not a fan of the show until it showed up on Netflix. Now it ranks up there with my favorites. 

Right. Who still pays for cable nowadays...?

1 hour ago, Alpinemaps said:

And here's the great thing about the show - not only does it refresh itself and changes it's cast every couple of years, it doesn't fit into any specific genre from week to week.  It's a comedy, a drama, a sci-fi show, a fantasy show, a horror show.  It's time travel.  It's space.  It's historical.  It's futuristic.

For instance, last week's episode I really disliked.  But it was really well-wrtten.  I don't like horror.  It was hardcore horror.  I know it was well-written because I really didn't like it. :)  But, that's this week's episode.  Last week's was completely different.  As will next week's.

You can sometimes tell if an episode will be good or not just by the writer in the opening credits.  If it's a Moffat episode, I'm all in.

16 minutes ago, jaxman said:

You can sometimes tell if an episode will be good or not just by the writer in the opening credits.  If it's a Moffat episode, I'm all in.

I'm right there with you.  I'm not a Moffat hater, I love his writing.  But what's funny is last week's horror episode was written by Moffat.

22 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

I'm right there with you.  I'm not a Moffat hater, I love his writing.  But what's funny is last week's horror episode was written by Moffat.

Ah, I have not seen the latest episode.  Actually I'm quite a few behind because the wife hasn't been a big fan of the latest doctor.  Going to have to binge watch to catch myself up.

This thread has reached a level of geekdom not previously seen in any other thread.........its kinda cool to see! I personally don't have any of this set and probably won't ever. I do hope it does well for y'all though. Im not sure how I missed falling into the Dr. Who demographic (too young maybe?) but somehow I did and have no plans to get into it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stephen_rockefeller said:

This thread has reached a level of geekdom not previously seen in any other thread.........its kinda cool to see! I personally don't have any of this set and probably won't ever. I do hope it does well for y'all though. Im not sure how I missed falling into the Dr. Who demographic (too young maybe?) but somehow I did and have no plans to get into it.

Ah, give it a shot!  Here's a clip from my favorite episode.  And it also gives the background on the weeping angel in the set.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, dcdfan said:

So, they you agree with me, not disagree. OP said "I am starting to wonder if this set will be way bigger in Europe than USA." When this is clearly the case was my point since this only plays on BBC America here...

Disney XD, inexplicably has been airing episodes from the David Tennant era. No idea why just those, and why Disney.

26 minutes ago, thoroakenfelder said:

Disney XD, inexplicably has been airing episodes from the David Tennant era. No idea why just those, and why Disney.

Tennant is probably the most Disney friendly doctor.  But that is random.

Unless JJ's next project is Doctor Who: The Movie.

Edited by jaxman

1 hour ago, stephen_rockefeller said:

I'm in my mid-40s, but somehow missed Classic Who on PBS.  I didn't start watching DW until the 9th Doctor started airing on Sci Fi Channel.

1 hour ago, thoroakenfelder said:

That's right.  I forgot that Disney XD, has the rights to broadcast the 10th Doctor.

11 hours ago, stephen_rockefeller said:

I'm 34 and hadn't seen Dr Who until 5 months ago. Was browsing on Netflix for some entertainment and had heard a friend talk about it. It is easy to get hooked on it. Very light humor and stories, a bit of sci-fi and sometimes even good plots. It is acquired taste. If you like sci-fi, I would recommend viewing just 1 episode of the newer series on an evening when your spouse and children (should you have them) have gone to bed.

3 hours ago, dcdfan said:

Out of curiosity, has TRU marked up Doctor Who, Wall-E & Ecto as they have here in the States?

No all were at the UK RRP. DW £50, Wall E £40, Ecto £45. They also had the full range of Scooby Doo,  lego stores and LEGO Shop at Home have been OOS recently. 

Plus if you spend over £75 on Lego you get a £20 gift voucher to be redeemed between 26/12 & 16/1. On lego of course. :)

• Like 1