Ideas #011: 21304 - Doctor Who

TheOrcKing

Doctor Who  

200 members have voted

1. 1. Were you familiar with The Doctor before the set?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Who?

6 minutes ago, biking_tiger said:

In that case, Doctor Who has 5,274,812 likes to BTTF's 4,268,230. 

We are all just shouting in the darkness. We love time travel shows because we can't time travel (except for the slow, plodding way we do every day.) No one knows how well the Doctor Who will perform after retirement... not without a real Tardis or Delorean, that is. 

LOUD NOISES!

1 hour ago, wolvergeek said:

Never seen this show. Only heard about it a few years ago. I'm 41. BTTF has way more global fans than Dr. Who. Don't own any and probably won't even buy one for personal build.

I doubt this very much, but even if your right BTTF never produced many toys related to the films. It's a bit like saying Homeland has more fans than Star Trek.

This does make me laugh. The first decent set to retire since Xmas and were turning this thread in to a democracy regards why we shouldn't invest, short shelf life = not popular so avoid, long shelf life = don't invest massively horded!!! There's no pleasing some people. At least Lego have actually retired something, be grateful for that!! It's a good set, with a big fan base, and at a low buy in can easily achieve 2 x RRP.

• Like 3

I've got 7 at the moment that I picked up for £30 each a while back. I think some people outside the UK underestimate just how much of a cult hit this show is over here. Would I be buying many of these if I wasn't based in the UK? Probably not. However, as I'm based here, I'm more than comfortable with buying these at that price and have no worries about the sets future. Will maybe grab several more in the coming weeks/months if they're available for a good discount.

1 hour ago, Manse1001 said:

This does make me laugh. The first decent set to retire since Xmas and were turning this thread in to a democracy regards why we shouldn't invest, short shelf life = not popular so avoid, long shelf life = don't invest massively horded!!! There's no pleasing some people. At least Lego have actually retired something, be grateful for that!! It's a good set, with a big fan base, and at a low buy in can easily achieve 2 x RRP.

Hold on, cowboy. They have only threatened to retire it. Extermination date is T-90 days still.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BarryZola said:

I've got 7 at the moment that I picked up for £30 each a while back. I think some people outside the UK underestimate just how much of a cult hit this show is over here. Would I be buying many of these if I wasn't based in the UK? Probably not. However, as I'm based here, I'm more than comfortable with buying these at that price and have no worries about the sets future. Will maybe grab several more in the coming weeks/months if they're available for a good discount.

If I was UK based I would definitely be buying to re-sell. I'm just not sold on it being that popular in the USA.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Crustybeaver said:

Before slapping a 'TOOS' label followed by new production runs

Ha ha.  Ahhh the games they can play and really its probably only messing with the re-sellers.  Seriously though wonder if there's any legality behind slapping that tag on then just doing more production runs.  
Depending on your definition of soon it probably is technically "retiring soon".... like if our time frame is the life of the earth :)

Just back from TRU - 40S5 and they have about 6 on the shelves (and apparently a few more in the back).  Can still add 99 to my basket at tesco and doesn't look like any online retailers are OOS of this one.  Could still be some sizable stock around.  Given the label and that this is pretty readily available at £35 might take a while to clear out the flippers once it's gone.  
April 2017 is when the next series comes out (in the UK) so i reckon this one will go under the radar till then.  And with Rogue One and all the SH sets I think that might take the attention of the new to lego investing crowd and leave this on the side line (and take even longer to clear out).

Another set I actually love.  Some good parts too and one of those sets that spans the age and gender gap.  As people have said don't discount SciFi fans when it comes to memorabilia and especially the cult following of Dr Who.  And even to hit 1.5x RRP (so double where most can get it) once EOL it's not that much of a ridiculous price considering.
Maybe not as good for those not in the UK.  But if you can get this at a price where you're breaking even after fees, postage & tax when selling at RRP......

actually on second thoughts these aren't the sets you're looking for....

48457324.jpg

• Like 2

Guest TabbyBoy

I wonder if one last massive production run is on the cards since there's a 30 day wait? Hmmm... Do I attack Asda & Tesco again? LEGO's limit is 5 so there'll be a lot more coming I think.

35 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

I wonder if one last massive production run is on the cards since there's a 30 day wait? Hmmm... Do I attack Asda & Tesco again? LEGO's limit is 5 so there'll be a lot more coming I think.

I'm guessing LEGO is doing an interest gauge now, and depending on the amount of backorders they will do one last production run to full-fill those orders. 

3 hours ago, Fenix_2k1 said:

So given the fact that its on back order and recent seal codes have been seen, can we assume that "retiring soon" means the production run has stopped but that doesn't necessarily mean low stock levels at warehouses yet.

It´s a trap!

Guest TabbyBoy
20 minutes ago, Val-E said:

It´s a trap!

After what's happened in the past, you never know! I've now had my fill of these and don't have as much room in the lock-up as I thought. Assuming LEGO want to rotate resouces for production of other IDEAS sets, I'm thinking hoping that this set is nearly done with Ecto1 & BBT soon to follow.

I'd love to know the actual production figures for IDEAS sets.