Ideas #011: 21304 - Doctor Who

TheOrcKing

Doctor Who  

200 members have voted

1. 1. Were you familiar with The Doctor before the set?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Who?

20 minutes ago, GiliusThunderhead said:

Pushed back to "will ship by Oct 31".  Reckon with the new wave of retiring soon labels this relieves some pressure on this set.  Still think its a bit suspect getting tagged so early in the run up to x-mas.  Unless they really do want to just clear out the stock and move on.

I guess demand is only coming from 2xVIP and London Bus junkies since anyone with half a brain will be buying it from Amazon for much less. Maybe now people will want to combine it with another ideas set to get the calendar.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Mhd747 said:

Who would have thought that this gets the retiring soon tag and we get a hole heap of deals on it, each one trumping the last (ok the 3-4-2 at Tesco probably beats this for for average buy-in price....just).

Have to say I'm a still a fan of this set. Little surprised it keeps coming back in stock at different retailers where is was once sold out (here in the UK anyway).  And at over 50% off with plenty of stock available...Being the ever optimist I'm hoping this is one of those times where we look back in a years time saying "I cant believe this set was just sitting there at 50% off".  
Goign to be an interesting ride with this one IMO.  I still think when the new series comes back this will help the set.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Still annoyingly easy to come by in the UK well below RRP.

I imagine the Christmas special might inspire a run on it, so hopefully stocks will start running dry before long. 

Not sure how inclined I'll be to hang on to these after Capaldi announces he's moving on from the role, however. To be honest assuming it's been retired for a while by then I might just sell all bar a handful while the next season is airing.

Judging by the low prices of old nu-Doctor Who merch, I'm not sure it's one worth clinging on to for years. It's such a shame they didn't bundle it with minifigs of all the Doctors - it would've made it an absolute blockbuster set, and increased its appeal enormously.

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy
32 minutes ago, wotguvnotmeguv said:

I imagine the Christmas special might inspire a run on it, so hopefully stocks will start running dry before long. 

Not sure how inclined I'll be to hang on to these after Capaldi announces he's moving on from the role, however. To be honest assuming it's been retired for a while by then I might just sell all bar a handful while the next season is airing.

Judging by the low prices of old nu-Doctor Who merch, I'm not sure it's one worth clinging on to for years. It's such a shame they didn't bundle it with minifigs of all the Doctors - it would've made it an absolute blockbuster set, and increased its appeal enormously.

I've gone in huge on this and paid and average of £26 per set so I should certainly be able to get my money back after EOL. Doctor Who has a huge following and I have a lot of faith in this set and every time or saw them being put on shelves in John Lewis, they were gone by the next day. Assuming that LEGO have the licence, a range of other Doctor minifigs will really boost this set. For what I paid, it's a no-lose gamble as there's still a little bit of meat on the bone even if I sell now.

Postage is cheap as it's small parcel and I get the perfect sized boxes and bubble-wrap free. If I remain on eBay, I'll also sell it via GSP.

So basically, if you live in the UK you are going to have to hope there is a tsunami of demand or wait till tabby unloads his whole stash first.

If you live elsewhere, sit back and chomp on popcorn as you won´t have invested in this set anyway.

Edited by Val-E

4 hours ago, wotguvnotmeguv said:

I was really hoping for some Doctor Who sets or minis to support this set.

• Like 1

Posters on Doctor Who fansites seem(ed) to think it was a one-shot license for Lego, and Character Building had a long-term contract in place for figures.

The CB website no longer exists however, and nothing has emerged from them since late 2014. Meanwhile the parent company is still producing Doctor Who merch.

Could do with some clarity on this. If what we have is what we're getting, there will be a point where it tops out pricewise before diving off a cliff as the series moves on from Capaldi. Someone's surely going to pick up the license to deal in DW buildables.

Edited by wotguvnotmeguv
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Val-E said:

So basically, if you live in the UK you are going to have to hope there is a tsunami of demand or wait till tabby unloads his whole stash first.

If you live elsewhere, sit back and chomp on popcorn as you won´t have invested in this set anyway.

Or undercut him.

Dr Who is filmed locally - I'm hoping that translates to interest post EOL.

Guest TabbyBoy
2 hours ago, Val-E said:

Something tells me he will blink before the rest and offload cheap when it turns out not to be in demand.

Worst case, I'll use Asda's 90 day return policy but, I'll not be needing to. I still remember the Delorean being discounted for a long time before EOL including several Argos 3-for-2 sales. Also the vast majority of Doctor Who fans probably haven't even seen the set. And... it's small enough to ship cheaply Worldwide.

Guest TabbyBoy
9 minutes ago, Val-E said:

Don´t remember BTTF being discounted just before EOL, though, was it?

This is another of those sets that is taking ages to go away and shops seem to have overstocked. it could well be another Exo and in that case your 90 day return will have elapsed!

These are the comments I like as it tells me that not many of you have hoarded it like I have. I recall paying £23.33 each for Deloreans on multiple occasions, just a shame I offloaded the lot when they reached £80 which I thought was the peak.

Tomorrow is 21304's 1st anniversary (I think) so it could leave our dimension within hours. Have faith!

8 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

These are the comments I like as it tells me that not many of you have hoarded it like I have. I recall paying £23.33 each for Deloreans on multiple occasions, just a shame I offloaded the lot when they reached £80 which I thought was the peak.

Tomorrow is 21304's 1st anniversary (I think) so it could leave our dimension within hours. Have faith!

Biggest investment mistake of my life was to only get one TBBT and the second was to give it away! That won´t happen again. Big difference with this set is Amazon UK´s mass sellling and discounting. The investment market has also changed a lot in 2 years so there are many more hoarders than me to consider!

Edited by Val-E

Guest TabbyBoy
7 minutes ago, Fenix_2k1 said:

I've just got 6 of these.  First year so don't want to go too deep on any set. If they drop into the low twenties again I'll probably buy more though. 

I don't mind a ton of these being in @TabbyBoy's hands. Rather that than a bunch of people having a few in a race to the bottom. 

I won't be competing with any of you on eBay or Amazon with regards to this set for a very long time. I've been selling some already for £35 which I bought at George for £22. It's the White Houses that I've gone totally overboard with and I have more of those than any other set. I'm only mentioning this now as it went EOL quickly with dwindling stocks in the wild. Looking forward to Trump's inauguration! ;-)

Guest TabbyBoy
7 minutes ago, BearCrash said:

I assume there will be a special in 2023 for the 60th anniversary. My goal is to wait until then to start offloading my DWs.

By that time it'll be resurrected and back on the shelves at 30% off. It'll be £100 next year so they'll have to bring it back ;-)