Ideas #011: 21304 - Doctor Who

TheOrcKing

Doctor Who  

200 members have voted

1. 1. Were you familiar with The Doctor before the set?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Who?

On 10/5/2016 at 3:03 AM, thoroakenfelder said:

I had a videocassette that I had recorded that on. I remember watching it a few times before someone recorded over it.

The TV movie has just been released on Blu-Ray.

On the Lego front I have got my last 5 at £35 from Tesco........ unless they drop the price of course....

A quick check of eBay shows it still selling at £35-40, except for one plonker (or lucky seller) who paid £50.

47 minutes ago, CNH1974 said:

The TV movie has just been released on Blu-Ray.

On the Lego front I have got my last 5 at £35 from Tesco........ unless they drop the price of course....

A quick check of eBay shows it still selling at £35-40, except for one plonker (or lucky seller) who paid £50.

Plus the fact there are about a zillion sellers on any platform. Good to luck to those who went in deep on this one.

Guest TabbyBoy
22 minutes ago, Val-E said:

Plus the fact there are about a zillion sellers on any platform. Good to luck to those who went in deep on this one.

Others said that about the Research Institute and I made a killing on those, 2x after fees within months. I think £75 (1.5x RRP) for Dr Who is realistic within a year and that means I make over £35 a box after fees. It's the TARDIS and Daleks that carry this set. Since it's small to post, I'll also offer it Worldwide through GSP.

3 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

Others said that about the Research Institute and I made a killing on those, 2x after fees within months. I think £75 (1.5x RRP) for Dr Who is realistic within a year and that means I make over £35 a box after fees. It's the TARDIS and Daleks that carry this set. Since it's small to post, I'll also offer it Worldwide through GSP.

I would have agreed with you if it hadn´t been for the retiring soon tag. That thing is an anchor/lousdpeaker as now every man and his dog is stocking up on it. If there is Delorean type demand then you might be right with your prediction but I think what might happen is people will be shifting volume at very low margins for a long time.

My prediction was that if it didn´t retire during LB and 10 euros off, it would be a stinker and I stand by that. It will be interesting to see what seal codes the next batch have to see if TLG are having a laugh.

On 28/9/2016 at 3:33 PM, Val-E said:

If it sells out on SAH before the end of the London bus and 10 euro crossover promo, I´ll side with you. If it is still available by end of October after 2xVIP at limit 5 then buyer beware.

This. And by available I meant backorderable too!

I think the fear factor has actually kicked in here as far as Ideas sets go.

As you say usually retiring soon means it just disappears but flippers seem worried about going deep on anything given the way things have gone the past year.  I'd not expect LEGO Shop at Home to be sold out but when its available for £35 & under I'd have expected oos at Tesco and Asda. The horde seem worried. I don't know whether that is because people got burnt with exo suit or because they are stacked with ecto 1's that hasn't retired as expected.  But if the flippers are reluctant i don't think the price stagnation will be as bad as it was on some sets last year. 

Guest TabbyBoy

Well, I'm happy to take a huge punt on these and have just ordered more to bring my total to 201 (1 for my CUSSOO/IDEAS collection). I'll see you lot on the other side!

You guys no I spend thousands on 95% Exclusives, as for the Doctor Who I don't have any and will not be buying any, just don't see this set being big bucks, the Who has its own Fans, and 90% of lego people who go in the Lego store are not buying the Doctor Who set, now when the real fact that its retiring which should be this year then panic buying will kick in, but not by me.    Ed

• Like 3

Guest TabbyBoy
1 hour ago, emazers said:

You guys no I spend thousands on 95% Exclusives, as for the Doctor Who I don't have any and will not be buying any, just don't see this set being big bucks, the Who has its own Fans, and 90% of lego people who go in the Lego store are not buying the Doctor Who set, now when the real fact that its retiring which should be this year then panic buying will kick in, but not by me.    Ed

Is that because you no longer have any room as your 10188s are taking up all the space? ;-)

Of course, the UK and US are different markets. For example, Dr Who may bomb in the US and the Simpsons House may bomb in the UK.

As for the Beatles Yellow Submarine... I think you may be buying at least 1, maybe 2 or 3?

Edited by TabbyBoy

I've heard a lot of people on here from the States say similar things. Maybe if no ones buying them that's a good thing no?

Cons:

Retiring soon tag

It didn´t retire soon

Easy to find at discount

Easy to find

Lots of sellers on multiple platforms

No current show to boost popularity

Tabby looks to have cornered the market already

Dimensions minfigs

Demand is likely to be very regionally diverse

How many have actually been pumped out in that year or so?

Edited by Val-E
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Val-E said:

Pros:

Short shelf life

Licensed theme

No IDEAS remakes so far

Low buy-in

Theme still relevant

Investor jitters

Why would there be investor jitters when I can buy 100 in one basket for £33 at Tesco? Like others have alluded to, Retiring soon doesn't mean much if people have no need to buy from LEGO Shop at Home when they can get them easily for a third less.

Edited by legochris

2 minutes ago, legochris said:

Why would there be investor jitters when I can buy 100 in one basket for £33 at Tesco? Like others have alluded to, Retiring soon doesn't mean much if people have no need to buy from LEGO Shop at Home when they can get them easily for a third less.

You answered your own question. Investors generally don´t like sets that everyone has 100 of unless there are a zillion buyers. Retiring soon means there is no element of surprise either so few resellers will miss out and there won´t be a huge post EOL bump - see Tumbler and Exo Suit.

just to give the euro members a perspective, this set is still tagged as NEW on the usa shop at home website and is in the #2 slot under the IDEAS theme.  available widely in the US from all retailers and in stock at the barnes and nobles brick and mortar stores I frequent.   I just don't see this set going bye bye so soon in north america. i'm expecting this set will linger like Birds which is still available msrp at walmart 9 months post official EOL.   i'm expecting some major discounting to happen before Christmas.  also on the Maze ideas which I don't think anyone has bought at the bn i frequent.

Edited by cladner

On 13-10-2016 at 8:56 PM, cladner said:

just to give the euro members a perspective, this set is still tagged as NEW on the usa shop at home website and is in the #2 slot under the IDEAS theme.  available widely in the US from all retailers and in stock at the barnes and nobles brick and mortar stores I frequent.   I just don't see this set going bye bye so soon in north america. i'm expecting this set will linger like Birds which is still available msrp at walmart 9 months post official EOL.   i'm expecting some major discounting to happen before Christmas.  also on the Maze ideas which I don't think anyone has bought at the bn i frequent.

I know this is the Dr Who thread, but Maze seems to be the worst selling ideas set ever. No one is talking about it anymore either.

7 hours ago, jaylay said:

Good. Don't buy it. Less competition for me later.

Well, I wasn't talking about it's value as an investment. I wouldn't be amazed if it retired sooner than expected though.

That being said I don't have any as of right now, because I haven't really seen any amazing discounts so far.

32 minutes ago, c_rpg said:

Well, I wasn't talking about it's value as an investment. I wouldn't be amazed if it retired sooner than expected though.

That being said I don't have any as of right now, because I haven't really seen any amazing discounts so far.

I bought one Maze, using some VIP points, and to get a Fountain promo, which will take the paid price down after I've sold that promo probably next year. 

The Maze was a bit of fun to play with, though it's collecting dust now. :P Guess I should encourage the kids to take the actual maze square apart and come up with their own maze creations.

On 10/18/2016 at 8:19 PM, Val-E said:

Sooo, it´s been in stock at Amazon Uk all day now and SAH have brought delivery forward to the 24th of October. I think it´s a trap.

Pushed back to "will ship by Oct 31".  Reckon with the new wave of retiring soon labels this relieves some pressure on this set.  Still think its a bit suspect getting tagged so early in the run up to x-mas.  Unless they really do want to just clear out the stock and move on.