Ideas #011: 21304 - Doctor Who

TheOrcKing

Doctor Who  

200 members have voted

1. 1. Were you familiar with The Doctor before the set?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Who?

Dimensions one was from Nov 2015 so I guess that will be about right.

Now, the agreement could be to cease production and sales on SAH by then, but I guess it wouldn´t stop them making a huge last order for Tesco, Amazon et al - same as with Tumbler last year.

TLG are not to be trusted with these tags, especially on licensed sets so I´d be very careful as they may be around for a good while to come.

• Like 1

I think the Tumbler thing was an anomaly not a new trend.  It was only really one retailer that found fresh stock.

Retailers will prob have stock for a while, i can imagine Toys r us and The Entertainer having stock at RRP in some stores months after its gone from LEGO Shop at Home but don't think that signifies Lego doing extra runs.  

So, I know i'm a broken record with, "there's no show on TV right now."  But, something else to consider - we're just months away from 2/3s of the minifigs in that box being really out of date.

11 and Clara are no longer on the show.  We're about to get two new companions to get with 12.  And 11's last appearance was basically 3 years ago.

I like the idea that the license was only for a year.  It's an Ideas set, so they're paying licensing fees to both the BBC and to the Ideas creator.  Let the license lapse, and let the Ideas set go away.  Then reup the license and produce new sets.  Don't produce sets right now that will generate a ton of sales of the Ideas sets, and take money away from Lego.

2017 will dictate what happens with the Who license in general.  I'll be curious to see how it goes.

• Like 1

Soooo, if its a one year licence it'll go EOL at LEGO Shop at Home on the 30th November.

The main mistake I made with this set was to get too many too soon at full RRP, last December. But now's a good time to stock up if you can get them for £35-40. 

If you can get them new or used for £25, it's a good parter outer if you have the time and patience.

Guest TabbyBoy

My Buy-in on these was £28 during the Tesco/Asda offers. If I can clear a bit more space (Just a waffer thin mint, Mr Creosote!), I'll buy another load at the same price. If no further deals, I'm happy with what I have.

Edited by TabbyBoy

2 hours ago, legochris said:

Can still buy them in chunks of 100 @ Tesco for £35 which makes me wonder why people are paying more on eBay. That said, out of stock for home delivery at Argos. Not sure what to make of that.

Ebay selling price is between £33-40 shipped.

This set is now getting wide publicity of impending retirment and lots of people are buying it. This set most likely will retire next month, however as so many people are buying at £30-35, it will be a race to the bottom once people realise it won't shoot up to 1.5X RRP by Xmas, due to too much supply and not enough demand.

We also need to hope there isn't another Doctor who set. If there is, this is going to tank big time.

Guest TabbyBoy
2 hours ago, legochris said:

Can still buy them in chunks of 100 @ Tesco for £35 which makes me wonder why people are paying more on eBay. That said, out of stock for home delivery at Argos. Not sure what to make of that.

If you have the space, go-on, I dare you ;-)

6 hours ago, Alpinemaps said:

But, something else to consider - we're just months away from 2/3s of the minifigs in that box being really out of date.

11 and Clara are no longer on the show.  We're about to get two new companions to get with 12.  And 11's last appearance was basically 3 years ago.

Definitely not something to be ignored but for me this set is all about the Tardis and Daleks - the doctors that are included... meh.  They could have only included paul mcgann (the forgettable 8th Doctor) and I'd still be buying this :)  (Ok - I might be one of the few but I think the build equally drives this set).  

Although if they renew the license in 2017 and do a full wave then I get what @Alpinemaps is saying.

It is a shame Paul McGann had such minimal screen time. I was probably one of the very few (in the US) who watched the television movie when originally aired back in the 90s. However this Doctor was rather prolific in his exploits by comparison through a ton of novels and radio plays. A straight regenerative transition between Paul McGann to Christopher Eccleston works well I think as there was enough similarity in features between the two while John Hurt (War Doctor) to Eccleston not as much but then again that form was a forced regeneration so maybe the more natural one into the 9th (Eccleston) reverted back a bit to the 8th (McGann) before proceeding forward essentially wiping out Hurt's pattern.

1 hour ago, TheOrcKing said:

It is a shame Paul McGann had such minimal screen time. I was probably one of the very few (in the US) who watched the television movie when originally aired back in the 90s. However this Doctor was rather prolific in his exploits by comparison through a ton of novels and radio plays. A straight regenerative transition between Paul McGann to Christopher Eccleston works well I think as there was enough similarity in features between the two while John Hurt (War Doctor) to Eccleston not as much but then again that form was a forced regeneration so maybe the more natural one into the 9th (Eccleston) reverted back a bit to the 8th (McGann) before proceeding forward essentially wiping out Hurt's pattern.

I had a videocassette that I had recorded that on. I remember watching it a few times before someone recorded over it.