Star Wars 2016

fossilrock

• 1 month later...

I am debating whether or not to buy any FA sets. At this point I don't have any.  I have just been buying UCS sets and the Micro Fighters. Here is the thing, if I do buy FA sets I don't want just one or two, I want to be all in and want the entire series. FYI this is for my personal collection, I am not an investor. Anyone else buy and build the entire FA collection? I don't have unlimited space, so that may be an issue but not a deal breaker. 

14 hours ago, cubfan78 said:

I am debating whether or not to buy any FA sets. At this point I don't have any.  I have just been buying UCS sets and the Micro Fighters. Here is the thing, if I do buy FA sets I don't want just one or two, I want to be all in and want the entire series. FYI this is for my personal collection, I am not an investor. Anyone else buy and build the entire FA collection? I don't have unlimited space, so that may be an issue but not a deal breaker. 

I've been attempting to buy as many from the entire theme on discount that I can of late.  Prices keep fluctuating on amazon and walmart, and so far you can't beat some of the discounts, because I think many of these set will double by the time Episode 8 arrives.  The biggest concern would be them rehashing sets, but I have a feeling we won't see many of these rehashed...  

Personally, I think they will do fine.  I have a feeling many of them are going to retire in the next few months as the Rogue One reset starts to arrive.  Now is truly the time to buy because once November hits, these will become more and more scarce, and prices will rise.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fossilrock said:

I've been attempting to buy as many from the entire theme on discount that I can of late.  Prices keep fluctuating on amazon and walmart, and so far you can't beat some of the discounts, because I think many of these set will double by the time Episode 8 arrives.  The biggest concern would be them rehashing sets, but I have a feeling we won't see many of these rehashed...  

Personally, I think they will do fine.  I have a feeling many of them are going to retire in the next few months as the Rogue One reset starts to arrive.  Now is truly the time to buy because once November hits, these will become more and more scarce, and prices will rise.

Thanks Fossil.  I was actually more interested in the FA sets as personal builds, I am not an investor. 

23 hours ago, cubfan78 said:

I built most of them. Just not Kylo Ren's shuttle. You can actually see most of my reviews in the blogs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thoroakenfelder said:

I built most of them. Just not Kylo Ren's shuttle. You can actually see most of my reviews in the blogs.

Thanks! I checked out the reviews. I was just kind of on the fence on whether or not I wanted to buy and build any of the smaller non UCS SW stuff. I might just get them because my girls might want like to play with them when they get a little older. Hopefully it will deter them from trying to play with the bigger UCS sets. 

13 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

Got all the 1st wave TFA sets for 50% off except the Falcon. Hoping for the same here.

I'd almost hedge that all of these will be found for 25% off by february.  I have some TRU points I need to shed, so i'm getting the U-wing at a discount to start. . I'll definitely wait on Magic Stick Mans Tank Battle, and the Tie Striker for those deep discounts though.  But, Krennic's Shuttle will more than likely end up under the tree for my son, so we'll see how that goes.  Something tells me i'll paying full price... or just flipping another AT-AT and buying it outright with the profits, making it a freebee wash.

18 minutes ago, fossilrock said:

I'd almost hedge that all of these will be found for 25% off by february.  I have some TRU points I need to shed, so i'm getting the U-wing at a discount to start. . I'll definitely wait on Magic Stick Mans Tank Battle, and the Tie Striker for those deep discounts though.  But, Krennic's Shuttle will more than likely end up under the tree for my son, so we'll see how that goes.  Something tells me i'll paying full price... or just flipping another AT-AT and buying it outright with the profits, making it a freebee wash.

What do you think would be the popular sets for Christmas this year?

My son already said he likes Krennic's shuttle better than Kylo Ren's. Not sure what he sees there, but here we go.

21 minutes ago, TANV said:

What do you think would be the popular sets for Christmas this year?

Last year, the only set of the original FA wave that was hard to get at points was Poe's X-wing.  If I recall, there was an issue with the cockpit, so Lego fixed that in a revision, and it didn't fully make it back out to market until mid-february. 

It's always tough to predict, but I think the U-wing would be the most popular, followed by the AT-ST, Krennics Shuttle, Hover Tank, and Tie Striker.   But, I doubt any of them are hard to obtain at any point, unless something happens like last year where there is a technical issue with a set.  Even with Poe's X-wing being somewhat scarce last holiday season, it was only going about 20.00 above RRP on amazon, which wasn't that lucrative for a quick flip.  Flipping Lego Star Wars for quick flips is rarely, if ever a solid venture.

IMO, the Tie Striker is the most boring of all of them.

24 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

My son already said he likes Krennic's shuttle better than Kylo Ren's. Not sure what he sees there, but here we go.

My son thinks the same thing.  It's his most wanted set of the theme. .  Kids these days!

4 minutes ago, fossilrock said:

Last year, the only set of the original FA wave that was hard to get at points was Poe's X-wing.  If I recall, there was an issue with the cockpit, so Lego fixed that in a revision, and it didn't fully make it back out to market until mid-february. 

It's always tough to predict, but I think the U-wing would be the most popular, followed by the AT-ST, Krennics Shuttle, Hover Tank, and Tie Striker.   But, I doubt any of them are hard to obtain at any point, unless something happens like last year where there is a technical issue with a set.  Even with Poe's X-wing being somewhat scarce last holiday season, it was only going about 20.00 above RRP on amazon, which wasn't that lucrative for a quick flip.  Flipping Lego Star Wars for quick flips is rarely, if ever a solid venture.

IMO, the Tie Striker is the most boring of all of them.

My son thinks the same thing.  It's his most wanted set of the theme. .  Kids these days!

The U-Wing is more colorful than the usual LEGO Star Wars gray you see, not to mention the articulation with the wings is neat.  The issues that seem to happen with the AT-ST are the leg articulations but for $40, it's a decent deal.  As for Krennic's shuttle, I think it's just the fact that it's well articulated along with the all black scheme compared to Kylo Ren's Shuttle is making it very popular.  It actually can transform into a shuttle so that's a plus.

Just my two credits on the matter.

If I was going to hedge a bet on which one set from this wave would have potential for holiday flipping , it's the AT-ST.  It hasn't been released for quite a while , famous from episode V, Vl,and games and is a decent price point.  Only downside would be minifig selection .  The other sets we really don't have much background or information on their roles and screen time .  Hover tank could be the next TFA Snowspeeder for all we know ,one tiny scene which was used in the trailer .

I came up with the idea to part out Krennics shuttle or two to pay for my hobby . The way I figured (purely speculative) it'll break down like this the first couple weeks.  Death trooper~ 10-12$ each , Krennic ~ 30-40$ (based off Ahsoka price from Combat Frigate ), Pao and Bodhi ~ 5-8 $each, K-2SO~ 20-25$, plus double VIP saving 9$ , and Revan poly ~ 15ish.

On the conservative side you'd get the set for 81 plus tax , but selling the minifigs gets you about 95$.  So you basically break even after fees and still have the shuttle ! Yay!

If you are able to get the upper end you'd make 25 plus still have the shuttle !

I would gather if you wanted to part out it all the shuttle would probably go for 40 ish.  

These are all just numbers I made up but this seems feasible .  

And these sets have much more appeal than TFA sets.  I'm started to think we will never see a TFA set again ( not much to work with anyways ) with a new movie each  year and rebels.  

Edited by P38bam023

Seeing how it's a stand alone I think all the sets will do well after retirement. Other than the At St doubt we will see any of these again. If the movie does well I do believe the sets will be gold! I'm not waiting a year to own these with free shipping, double XP, free Raven per purchase I'm just buying them all (individually). I will definitely go out of my way for these sets at 50-75% off. Chances of rereleases don't scare me. This is the first stand alone movie so it's hard to say for sure but if these ships never surface in any movies all will be big winners!

My opinion of course...