TRU Canada Sales and Clearance

tacsniper

Well, hours too late once again, missed on the Toy Shops, Minis, and F40s (though not sure I'd go in on the F40s, not a fan really). Decided to grab a Slave 1, don't have any yet, and Roy's recent review has pushed it up the list. In Canada, I see this is one of the best possible deals one can find on Exclusives. Even if you found a damaged box $229.99 set during 2x VIP at the Lego Store, 960 VIP points  only net you $45 in credit. I'm quite sure the Bricktobers will fetch more than that, even if aggressively undercutting the average! 

Edited by Zelgazra

8 minutes ago, Zelgazra said:

Even if you found a damaged box $229.99 set during 2x VIP at the Lego Store, 960 VIP points  only net you $45 in credit. I'm quite sure the Bricktobers will fetch more than that, even if aggressively undercutting the average! 

Probably, but you could spend that $45 on something else immediately and flip that for about the same or more than the Bricktober sets. I guess it's up to preference and what you think will be easier to sell.

But then you'd be breaking the golden rule. Never spend VIP points during Double VIP! (It was that thread/debate last spring that got me hooked on this site lol). Not to mention it's a damaged box.

Furthermore, what could you buy in store for that $45 that would provide quick returns? Nothing on sale anymore, whereas the bricktobers are effectively EoL; you can't get them in store, or none that I've visited in the past 6 months. If you've got viable alternatives I'd love to hear about them, otherwise I stand by my statement of best deal on exclusives! :)

3 minutes ago, Zelgazra said:

But then you'd be breaking the golden rule. Never spend VIP points during Double VIP! (It was that thread/debate last spring that got me hooked on this site lol). Not to mention it's a damaged box.

Furthermore, what could you buy in store for that $45 that would provide quick returns? Nothing on sale anymore, whereas the bricktobers are effectively EoL; you can't get them in store, or none that I've visited in the past 6 months. If you've got viable alternatives I'd love to hear about them, otherwise I stand by my statement of best deal on exclusives! :)

All valid points with the exception that waiting until end of double VIP would be less time than required to sell off bricktobers. Everything else valid. :)

36 minutes ago, Zelgazra said:

Well, hours too late once again, missed on the Toy Shops, Minis, and F40s (though not sure I'd go in on the F40s, not a fan really). Decided to grab a Slave 1, don't have any yet, and Roy's recent review has pushed it up the list. In Canada, I see this is one of the best possible deals one can find on Exclusives. Even if you found a damaged box $229.99 set during 2x VIP at the Lego Store, 960 VIP points  only net you $45 in credit. I'm quite sure the Bricktobers will fetch more than that, even if aggressively undercutting the average! 

Not sure if you are adding all the numbers up.  The toyrus option adds $16 shipping and then tax on everything.  I am not saying it is a bad deal, but I think 2X VIP in October when the freebie has been good is a much better option.

If I could sell the bricktober sets for $80 clear and quickly (which I think is doubtful) then I would scoop up a bunch of Slave 1's and Tie's.  I know they are not available anymore but the three other smaller sets offered much better bang for buck.

I agree that the smaller sets like Winter Toy Shop are a better value and I would have loved a couple. This was however a good excuse tor me to get Pet Shop (has to be retiring this year) and Detective's Office for my own personal collection. What are people's plans for the Bricktober stuff? Flip it right away, or is it worthwhile to hang on to it for awhile? I"m not in a huge rush to flip anything if it means a bigger return in a year or so.

Thoughts?

4 hours ago, lego rules said:

but I think 2X VIP in October when the freebie has been good

Huh? 

2x VIP is coming up in a month in March, and nobody has listed any exceptional looking "freebies" that will come along with said 2x VIP.... If you all want to pay more for your exclusives, fine by me. I'll take my profit money and go have fun with it! :P 

6 minutes ago, Zelgazra said:

Huh? 

2x VIP is coming up in a month in March, and nobody has listed any exceptional looking "freebies" that will come along with said 2x VIP.... If you all want to pay more for your exclusives, fine by me. I'll take my profit money and go have fun with it! :P 

Yes, I know it is in March.  What I said was in October when it is also 2x VIP the freebie has been pretty good for the last several years.  October IMO is a better deal than this TRU.ca deal

Like I said, it is not a bad deal.  The % just works out so much better for the < $120 sets.

Cheers.

No argument on the statement, but I don't see how it's relevant to this TRU sale, and people comparing it to the deal available in a month. I'll have sold my bricktobers long before October 2xVIP and have new capital from them to invest then. Not sure what the argument really is anymore. Yet another point I have yet to illustrate (but is obvious to most) is by purchasing a Slave 1 with this discount, I can still safely purchase my limit 2 from Lego with their promo in a month. If not going in on TRU deal, there's a risk of getting fewer copies, or worse, a ban from LEGO Shop at Home.

9 hours ago, Zelgazra said:

Not sure what the argument really is anymore.

15 hours ago, Zelgazra said:

In Canada, I see this is one of the best possible deals one can find on Exclusives.

I was pointing out it is a good deal, but saying it is one of the best deals is a bit of a stretch.  If there was no shipping cost, it would have been much much better.

9 hours ago, Zelgazra said:

Yet another point I have yet to illustrate (but is obvious to most) is by purchasing a Slave 1 with this discount, I can still safely purchase my limit 2 from Lego with their promo in a month. If not going in on TRU deal, there's a risk of getting fewer copies, or worse, a ban from LEGO Shop at Home.

Yes, this is a very valid point.  Although; I haven't heard of anyone from Canada being banned by TLG......yet......

13 minutes ago, lego rules said:

Although; I haven't heard of anyone from Canada being banned by TLG......yet......

*Raises hand* ;)

Been banned for maybe a year or so now. Their banning system is fairly easy to get around, but i'll leave out the details as i posted them a while ago in the banned thread.

1 minute ago, Sandwraithx157 said:

*Raises hand* ;)

Been banned for maybe a year or so now. Their banning system is fairly easy to get around, but i'll leave out the details as i posted them a while ago in the banned thread.

I guess I should be much more careful.  Would you say it was because of online purchases or store purchases?