TRU Canada Sales and Clearance

tacsniper

My local Lego store has several Red 5's still on the shelf. Anyone notice or mention that the Canadian price on this set is $20 more that similiar

size sets. The Tie Fighter, Slave 1, and Red 5 are all $199 US and the Red 5 is not $229 Cdn like the others, but rather $249. I have to consider this in my profit.

$249 was the same price on LEGO Shop at Home before it went S/O, figured TRU would hike it $50 by now...

Tru's price on the DS went from $499 to $549  (still available)

I'll be making a trip up to Montreal in the fall. Does it make sense to buy in Canada and bring back to the states? I'll have my vehicle so no shipping will be needed.

Thanx

well... it's basically a wash, our dollar is %25 lower but nearly everything is %25 higher base price - though there are some deals to be found if you look hard enough. 

keep also in mind the currency conversion cost (3%) and the QC gst+hst is %14.974, + when you cross the border you're likely going to pay state tax/customs of another 7%us (NY)

basically I guess I'd say not a deal to move stuff southward...

• Like 1

My local Lego store has several Red 5's still on the shelf. Anyone notice or mention that the Canadian price on this set is $20 more that similiar

size sets. The Tie Fighter, Slave 1, and Red 5 are all $199 US and the Red 5 is not $229 Cdn like the others, but rather $249. I have to consider this in my profit.

In terms of US dollars, there is no difference and that it was most of the market is interested in.  The $20 Canadian is not significant enough in terms of profit.

I'll be making a trip up to Montreal in the fall. Does it make sense to buy in Canada and bring back to the states? I'll have my vehicle so no shipping will be needed.

Thanx

Quebec has a higher tax rate so you aren't going to save a lot, unless you buy sets at particular price points. Assuming that you are only looking at exclusives, your best options are sets priced as follows

$120US/$130Canadian
$160US/$190Canadian
$200US/$230Canadian

and $300US+ set that is $50 more in Canadian.

Those are your best options for buying as almost everything is around 25% higher in Canada and the tax and exchange rate leaves only a small gain for you.

• Like 1

Thanx for the info guys.............. Does Canada ever have tax free days or no duty declaration days. We have that here once a year.........tax holiday

"tax free days"... not with Harper lurking around - if he had a third hand it would also be in one of your pockets.

"no duty days"... well, do you feel lucky or perhaps very very sneaky ;-)

Every 3-4 years we will get an unofficial duty free pass for us coming back into Canada... when the CBSA guys are in their usual contract renewal disputes - they are more than happy to wave you through if you have no booze or smokes.

Edited by Thumper

What are we projecting this set to be worth by Christmas 2016 if it is EOL?  If I'm paying $280 Cdn with tax and it costs me $40 to ship to the US

Is there any meat left on the bone, or are we talking 2-3 years before I can make a decent profit?

What are we projecting this set to be worth by Christmas 2016 if it is EOL?  If I'm paying $280 Cdn with tax and it costs me $40 to ship to the US

Is there any meat left on the bone, or are we talking 2-3 years before I can make a decent profit?

Hard to guess with this one considering it is a partial remake. Selling this X-Mas might not yield the best results though. Personally i'll be holding for a couple years at least.

As always though; anything could happen, and my guess is as good as yours ;)

Hard to guess with this one considering it is a partial remake. Selling this X-Mas might not yield the best results though. Personally i'll be holding for a couple years at least.

As always though; anything could happen, and my guess is as good as yours ;)

I agree, it's a undetermined entity at the moment: (assuming we're talking Red5) It's SW UCS that in itself is a leader, it matches as a pairing with the Tie fighter & it's 1st generation OT... but Hollywood has been generating some buzz about the redesigned earlier model version in the new movie we might see a redesign Lego set in the future to match.   either way, I'd rather have a few than be caught without any & I've not ever seen them on the shelves at any of my nearby TRUs. 

It's been around for awhile & the fellow resellers (and non-afol resellers) will be putting up an awful lot of them at Christmas time to compete against so myself I also see it as a hold/wait&see.

You mean the X-Wing? Some of us got some when TRU was having BOGO 40% off a while back... So my cost is is $226 per on a portion of my stash.

** Edit .. or $224 I should say .. PST has gone up 1% since then **

Edited by gregpj

FYI: TRU just jacked up the DS by another $50. It is now $599.99. This maybe the start to many repricing to reflect the exchange rate.

That's a total crock. That is a 50% exchange rate at 599.99. Even 549.99 was 37.5% which is a rip off.

With their lack of sales the last few weeks I have not been impressed!!

FYI: TRU just jacked up the DS by another $50. It is now $599.99. This maybe the start to many repricing to reflect the exchange rate.

Apparently, according to a contact inside tru, the hike is not directly related to the dollar rate (their stock was secured over a year+ ago) it's due to the difficulty shipping the particular item (due to it's size & weight), she also hinted that they know that item is not being sold to end users as it's being ordered in multiples.  either they are catching on & taking advantage of those who'd take advantage of them for holding stock or are just trying another random scummy tactic on for size.

• Like 2

Apparently, according to a contact inside tru, the hike is not directly related to the dollar rate (their stock was secured over a year+ ago) it's due to the difficulty shipping the particular item (due to it's size & weight), she also hinted that they know that item is not being sold to end users as it's being ordered in multiples.  either they are catching on & taking advantage of those who'd take advantage of them for holding stock or are just trying another random scummy tactic on for size.

If thats the case, they should sell it at MSRP and charge shipping accordingly. More transparent that way. If Lego and WM can ship the item for free, I am sure they can as well, if not, I am sure they get awesome rates from Purolator. This cannot be the only large/heavy item they carry in their entire catalog.

I personally don't believe it is because of shipping costs.  This may be a similar situation like Target in the USA where they jack up the price when items become scarce.  Walmart has this for $500 with free shipping, it would be interesting to call TRU and get them to price match and ask why it is $100 more??

I personally don't believe it is because of shipping costs.  This may be a similar situation like Target in the USA where they jack up the price when items become scarce.  Walmart has this for $500 with free shipping, it would be interesting to call TRU and get them to price match and ask why it is $100 more??

yikes, trying to price match at TRU is like pulling teeth, takes forever to find a qualified manager (I'm sure they do this intentionally in hopes you give up) & then they pull the "only on items in local stock" clause so they won't even order one for you. never tried it direct over the phone thou...  if walmart has it it's better to go there anyway as they ship much faster imx (and use air pillows which TRU doesn't).

yikes, trying to price match at TRU is like pulling teeth, takes forever to find a qualified manager (I'm sure they do this intentionally in hopes you give up) & then they pull the "only on items in local stock" clause so they won't even order one for you. never tried it direct over the phone thou...  if walmart has it it's better to go there anyway as they ship much faster imx (and use air pillows which TRU doesn't).

I am banned from walmart.