10188 - UCS: Death Star

duckyruiz

You may fire when ready.  

776 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed Death Stars do you own?

• 1 - 2
    • 3 - 4
    • 5 - 9
    • 10 - 15
    • 16 - 20
    • 21 - 25
    • 26 - 50+
  2. 2. Do you believe the set will make a great investment?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
  3. 3. Will it ever retire?

• Sure, soon as I fire my Photon Torpedo.
    • Nope, I'll be dead before that happens.
    • Perhaps, when Hell freezes over.

There are multiple other STAR WARS set that deserve your money, but a set like the AT-AT will be replaced soon with something much better.

Is this one of your "read between the lines" cryptic hints, Ed? Is there a UCS version of the AT-AT coming down the pipeline? After all, a UCS version would be "much better" than any normal set that gets remade. 

Interesting coincidence....

SSD was marked as "retired" at LEGO Shop at Home August 18, 2014 .  SSD was doing most of the dance (call to check, sold out, ships at) during July of 2014, with final sold out (or disappearance from site?) sometime around July 30

it did have fun transitions, such as from <Sold Out> to <Out of stock, expected ship date 15 Sep 2014>, from <Out of stock, expected ship date 15 Sep 2014> to <Sold Out>, from <Sold Out> to <Out of stock, expected ship date 6 Oct 2014> (these were on July 29)
SSD had Sold out status before July 30, and people were able to place backorders July 30 that were later filled
Last known USA run for SSD was 20R4

Those SSDs were such a fun ride last year.  Thanks again for posting when it was available.  I know a few of us were lucky enough to score some extras last summer.

I think it's a nobrainer if you want one for your personal collection to buy one now.  You more than likely won't get a set mint in a box at RRP again once they go.

Where i'd be hesitant is spending a lot of funds investing in them.  Yeah, some love to hype the hype train on all things exclusives, but a simple review of sales data on this site shows that many of these don't sell that quickly at those higher prices, and when people are sitting on 50 of them it's going to take them a WHILE to move them.  When you have hundreds of people sitting on more than 30 or more of these, and then 1000's of people sitting on 2 to 5 of them, it's going to be a very competitive waiting game, which you have to commit to if you are going to play. 

The SSD for example moves about 40 to 50 units a month on ebay.  That's about 480 a year that will sell on ebay at the MSRP value, which goes from 700 to 750 currently.  Selling one of these will net you anywhere from 150 to 250 over the 399.99 retail (depending on your buy-in) once you include selling/shipping fees.  HOWEVER, if you bought this on credit at a interest rate of 10.9 or so (like many might do) and was sitting on it for 18 months, paying about 50 a month on it, that eats away about 70.00 of those profits in interest on just one set during that 18 month interval.  So be cautious.  Anyone that runs out and buys 10 of these on credit is playing a dangerous game that is probably not worth it.  Paying in cash.. then go for it, but realize your money is going to be tied up for a while..  It's not as pie in the sky as some claim.  If you are impatient, then don't let your impulses control you. 

Is this one of your "read between the lines" cryptic hints, Ed? Is there a UCS version of the AT-AT coming down the pipeline? After all, a UCS version would be "much better" than any normal set that gets remade. 

Rumors persist that the UCS Hoth set is in fact a UCS AT-AT.  I have been hinting at this for months, but let's just get it out there.  Maybe it's a Hoth set with an AT-AT.  Maybe it's just a kick @$$ AT-AT.  I have heard it form several good sources, so I think there is good chance of seeing an awesome set in the near future.

• Like 3

Rumors persist that the UCS Hoth set is in fact a UCS AT-AT.  I have been hinting at this for months, but let's just get it out there.  Maybe it's a Hoth set with an AT-AT.  Maybe it's just a kick @$$ AT-AT.  I have heard it form several good sources, so I think there is good chance of seeing an awesome set in the near future.

interesting, very interesting...

I agree. As apt_get stated earlier, LEGO does not care about investors or the secondary market.

They will sell the 10188 until it becomes unprofitable to do so

...or until every last STAR WARS fan is dead, which knowing George Lucas and his propensity for STAR WARS sequels, will be around the year 2067. LOL

I am newer to collecting Legos and Star Wars sets but I need your guys help, should I pick one of these up now since they are sold out on Lego.com or will they likely be back up there again. Thanks for the advice in advance.

As you can see iujj012, Our illustrious leader Ed predicted this situation 3 years ago.

It's entirely possible the DS is not retiring, we've been wondering for years.

It's also entirely possible it is retiring.

The one sure thing is that if you know you want at least one, BUY ONE now. If it truly is done it will be $650 before nightfall.

Also know that $650 essentially means no profit to the reseller. That's the point at which it starts becoming profitable from a retail taxed purchase.

Also know that lots of folks got this item from $250-350 so 'investing' in this item is dicey. If it remains available at retail, you have a lovely giant paper weight.

Back to my original point, If you are COLLECTING, as you noted, and not investing, yes go buy one right now. 

And use the affiliate links.

Unlike Pacific493, I did not buy the last two 10179 Millennium Falcons on Amazon.  I listened to my wife.  I had them in cart and asked her.  I will never ask again.  

I find it interesting whst was not said above like oh no be careful the just2good ucs ds will be upon us soon.

I am not putting words in his mouth I am just saying it crosses my mind that nothing was mentioned and collecting the UCS falcon we see where that has gone 

Have you seen the new Lego mini-movie on their site? It shows a ton of not yet produced Lego Hoth elements. (ion cannon, shield generator, some minifigs, slightly different looking echo base)

While i would prefer a UCS At-At, it might just be a giant box of Hoth stuff.

As you can see iujj012, Our illustrious leader Ed predicted this situation 3 years ago.

It's entirely possible the DS is not retiring, we've been wondering for years.

It's also entirely possible it is retiring.

The one sure thing is that if you know you want at least one, BUY ONE now. If it truly is done it will be $650 before nightfall.

Also know that $650 essentially means no profit to the reseller. That's the point at which it starts becoming profitable from a retail taxed purchase.

Also know that lots of folks got this item from $250-350 so 'investing' in this item is dicey. If it remains available at retail, you have a lovely giant paper weight.

Back to my original point, If you are COLLECTING, as you noted, and not investing, yes go buy one right now. 

And use the affiliate links.

Thanks for the reply! I think I will get one then, I guess ill to go Walmart.com and pick one up. Is that the best bet?

Have you seen the new Lego mini-movie on their site? It shows a ton of not yet produced Lego Hoth elements. (ion cannon, shield generator, some minifigs, slightly different looking echo base)

While i would prefer a UCS At-At, it might just be a giant box of Hoth stuff.

Yes...To my eyes, the models in the Hoth video are not UCS quality and would confirm what I was saying.  If that is a UCS Hoth set, I would be very disappointed.

Yes...To my eyes, the models in the Hoth video are not UCS quality and would confirm what I was saying.  If that is a UCS Hoth set, I would be very disappointed.

I agree.  On the other hand, there is no precedent for a UCS playset (Hoth, for example) to include a 1,000+ piece model (like an AT-AT).  Seems more likely it would come with an AT-ST and maybe a Snowspeeder.  So it would be more or less along the lines of EV.  What would concern me from a 75054 perspective is a straight up 2,000 piece, $200 UCS AT-AT.  There don't seem to be any pics or such of that online however.

I agree.  On the other hand, there is no precedent for a UCS playset (Hoth, for example) to include a 1,000+ piece model (like an AT-AT).  Seems more likely it would come with an AT-ST and maybe a Snowspeeder.  So it would be more or less along the lines of EV.  What would concern me from a 75054 perspective is a straight up 2,000 piece, $200 UCS AT-AT.  There don't seem to be any pics or such of that online however.

Here you go...Well, maybe a little more than 2000 pieces.

gallery_101_55_31684.jpg

Edited by Ed Mack
  • Like 4

Thanks for the reply! I think I will get one then, I guess ill to go Walmart.com and pick one up. Is that the best bet?

Lots of folks complain that Walmart does a poor job with shipping so if the box condition is important to you, I prefer Amazon, or even Target.

Every company has issues with giant heavy sets though, so good luck to you.

Either way, try to combine gift card discounts, and Credit Card discounts, and of course use the Brickpicker links to help the site.

never had an issue with SAH. all came in perfect shape. it may not have been the cheapest, but with freebies, VIPs and guarantee that all figs are there i would rather get it from them than anywhere else.

I get damaged boxes from SAH too.  More often than not, if there is a polybag promo, it ends up doing damage to the box.  They throw the promo in and then the heavy set on top of it.

never had an issue with SAH. all came in perfect shape. it may not have been the cheapest, but with freebies, VIPs and guarantee that all figs are there i would rather get it from them than anywhere else.

It's not like they're "sold out" or anything so you won't have any problems...  Does anyone think it's a possibility that Lego just shipped their DS's in the US to Amazon for a Prime Day deal?  It might be far reached, but seems plausible.

It's not like they're "sold out" or anything so you won't have any problems...  Does anyone think it's a possibility that Lego just shipped their DS's in the US to Amazon for a Prime Day deal?  It might be far reached, but seems plausible.

Yeah... it will be 50% off on Sunday.

j/k

Edited by Ciglione