10188 - UCS: Death Star

duckyruiz

You may fire when ready.  

776 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed Death Stars do you own?

• 1 - 2
    • 3 - 4
    • 5 - 9
    • 10 - 15
    • 16 - 20
    • 21 - 25
    • 26 - 50+
  2. 2. Do you believe the set will make a great investment?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
  3. 3. Will it ever retire?

• Sure, soon as I fire my Photon Torpedo.
    • Nope, I'll be dead before that happens.
    • Perhaps, when Hell freezes over.

After a bunch of people flood the CS lines asking where it is; they'll update the listing in orange text with someone like: "Don't be silly we'd never let this one retire!" :P

I'd love to be the CS rep..."where is it?" Where have YOU been for the last 8 years!?

Edited by dcdfan
  • Like 2

I have had always a problem with this set. Please dont kill me, but my opinion is that this set is for children, not for AFOLs. Of course, all sets can be for children, but I think this set is not like other UCS sets, which are well detailed, real models of the movie models. This DS set is like a barbie doll playhouse - open and suitable for playing the movie scenes. But not for nice displaying - the problem is that it is open so that doesnt look as a real DS. It is an interior set, which are not so perfect as "finalized" models. And since there is a really big difference between real DS and lego DS in scale, it looks horrible for me to see 3 floors of DS as a barbie house. Of course, you cannot build a realistic lego model of DS because of its size, but at least you can hide this discrepancy by plates, as TLG did in classic scale set ISD, or the aproach can be similar to SSD or DS II. I know, that it has great sale numbers, but I am not sure whether an AFOL is willing to pay EUR 700-800 for such "open" set which is far from the reality. Thatswhy I bought just few of DS, much less than R5. I and still I am dreaming of realistic DS I lego model...

I will be horribly wrong but I am going to predict Amazon stocks out at 4:30 PM EST today.

I can seriously understand people not liking it.  I mean that seriously.

That being said for me, even though 1) Its a Ball, 2) Its for Kids, 3) Its not UCS, 4) Its not to Scale, 5) It has no name plate, 6) How would you clean that, 7) What do you do with it, and It will not go up in price and all the other apprehensions

It is killing it on Amazon right now and I love the set I have one myself and display it proudly.

See the sales rank over time I know resellers are buying in mass today but look at the sales rank over time.

"These Lego Bricks Will Do Fine"

http://camelcamelcamel.com/LEGO-Star-Wars-Death-10188/product/B002EEP3NO?context=browse

• Like 1

I have had always a problem with this set. Please dont kill me, but my opinion is that this set is for children, not for AFOLs. Of course, all sets can be for children, but I think this set is not like other UCS sets, which are well detailed, real models of the movie models. This DS set is like a barbie doll playhouse - open and suitable for playing the movie scenes. But not for nice displaying - the problem is that it is open so that doesnt look as a real DS. It is an interior set, which are not so perfect as "finalized" models. And since there is a really big difference between real DS and lego DS in scale, it looks horrible for me to see 3 floors of DS as a barbie house. Of course, you cannot build a realistic lego model of DS because of its size, but at least you can hide this discrepancy by plates, as TLG did in classic scale set ISD, or the aproach can be similar to SSD or DS II. I know, that it has great sale numbers, but I am not sure whether an AFOL is willing to pay EUR 700-800 for such "open" set which is far from the reality. Thatswhy I bought just few of DS, much less than R5. I and still I am dreaming of realistic DS I lego model...

I really don't think there is any way to really do it much better.  They fit a lot of great "scenes" into that set with 24 minifigs, etc.  I love it. Like you said, they already gave the scaled looking version the first time around, now they were trying to give the indoor scenes from the movie.  I think they did a great job and it's a fun set.

I'll help trek...2 more from amazon with store card 5% cash back

If people are going to start buying from Amazon, at least help BP.  There have been no deals or anything worth getting excited over for months 

AMAZON LINK: http://amzn.to/1IY3vyF
TARGET LINK: http://goto.target.com/c/65738/81938/2092
WALMART LINK: LEGO 10188 at Walmart

Edited by Jeff Mack
  • Like 5

Didn't you know? Lego is for Kids! 

• Like 1