10188 - UCS: Death Star

duckyruiz

You may fire when ready.  

776 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed Death Stars do you own?

• 1 - 2
    • 3 - 4
    • 5 - 9
    • 10 - 15
    • 16 - 20
    • 21 - 25
    • 26 - 50+
  2. 2. Do you believe the set will make a great investment?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
  3. 3. Will it ever retire?

• Sure, soon as I fire my Photon Torpedo.
    • Nope, I'll be dead before that happens.
    • Perhaps, when Hell freezes over.

Some people are going to be sorry.  This is a great set.  An iconic set.  Once again, it's time to put up or shut up.  I wonder what it's going to take to get people into taking a chance on this set?  SOLD OUT is not good enough?  Wait till the next retailer sells out.  Watch the fireworks.  

Ed, would you elaborate on your opinion re: 75054 and 75055?  Because 6211 and previous AT-AT sets have done very well, and generally not been remade for several years.  I'm curious as to why you're so negative on these two.

I have none, I will probably get 2 just because but I might wait until the US is done done and grab a remnant in Canada.

As for the comment about the 75055 ISD, the 6211 is a better model and I also think that the previous AT-ATs are at least as good as this version.

Some people are going to be sorry.  This is a great set.  An iconic set.  Once again, it's time to put up or shut up.  I wonder what it's going to take to convince people about taking a chance on this set?  SOLD OUT is not good enough?  Wait till the next retailer sells out.  Watch the fireworks.  

Ok Ed you inspired me. In for two more. 

• Like 1

Ed, would you elaborate on your opinion re: 75054 and 75055?  Because 6211 and previous AT-AT sets have done very well, and generally not been remade for several years.  I'm curious as to why you're so negative on these two.

The Motorized AT-AT was the best of the bunch.  The current AT-AT does not come close to that one.  There are rumors of the "Hoth Base" being a UCS AT-AT.  I can also see a new UCS Star Destroyer being released that is based on the new design.  The 75054 and 75055 are doubles, in baseball terminology, and if a new UCS AT-AT comes out, the 75054 is an out.  I would invest in some of the smaller STAR WARS sets that haven't been redone 3 times or buy one 10188.  Just my opinion.

The Motorized AT-AT was the best of the bunch.  The current AT-AT does not come close to that one.  There are rumors of the "Hoth Base" being a UCS AT-AT.  I can also see a new UCS Star Destroyer being released that is based on the new design.  The 75054 and 75055 are doubles, in baseball terminology, and if a new UCS AT-AT comes out, the 75054 is an out.  I would invest in some of the smaller STAR WARS sets that haven't been redone 3 times or buy one 10188.  Just my opinion.

Ok, thanks for the clarification.  I've seen the UCS AT-AT rumors too, but nothing that seems definitive.  I would of course prefer a motorized AT-AT, but I've sold previous non-motorized versions for 2 x MSRP shortly after retirement.  There isn't anything uniquely bad about the current one.  It's widely regarded as the best of the 'normal' AT-AT's.

Ok, thanks for the clarification.  I've seen the UCS AT-AT rumors too, but nothing that seems definitive.  I would of course prefer a motorized AT-AT, but I've sold previous non-motorized versions for 2 x MSRP shortly after retirement.  There isn't anything uniquely bad about the current one.  It's widely regarded as the best of the 'normal' AT-AT's.

There could be a window of opportunity this Holiday season for both those sets, I will give you that.  Long term is very sketchy.  They are not bad sets, just not as good as others.  

I think I'm definitely going to get my second DS.... I just need to tell myself how cool it would be to hopefully sell one for ~$800 and maybe someday have a set worth $1000+ six or seven years down the road to open with my son for Christmas (who's now almost 1)!!!  I just think it would be so cool to have a set like this worth much more than I paid but to be able to open it with no regrets. 

• Like 1

I bought one of the last two Taj Mahals available from Amazon on the day that it clicked over to sold out at LEGO Shop at Home.  I had that same internal debate and the hesitation cost me a good bit of money.  There is no risk in sticking with 2, but I would wager that you will be kicking yourself in the not too distant future.

It's very possible. It's a risk, a gamble, either way. The thing is, I'm new to this. I've been on a buying spree for the past 7 weeks, so my remaining budget isn't massive and I don't have the experience that others have, just research and gut feelings at this point. Oh, and my husband whispering in my ear, "I'm not sure we should buy it." After he said that, I bought two. Muahahahah! But, anyways, time will tell who made the best choice. If we missed a chance, then so be it. I will carry on!

• Like 1

It's very possible. It's a risk, a gamble, either way. The thing is, I'm new to this. I've been on a buying spree for the past 7 weeks, so my remaining budget isn't massive and I don't have the experience that others have, just research and gut feelings at this point. Oh, and my husband whispering in my ear, "I'm not sure we should buy it." After he said that, I bought two. Muahahahah! But, anyways, time will tell who made the best choice. If we missed a chance, then so be it. I will carry on!

Unlike Pacific493, I did not buy the last two 10179 Millennium Falcons on Amazon.  I listened to my wife.  I had them in cart and asked her.  I will never ask again.  

Edited by Ed Mack
  • Like 5

Target and lego store/LEGO Shop at Home online

LEGO LEGO Shop at Home is SOLD OUT. Walmart and Amazon still have them available...  

Unlike Pacific493, I did not buy the last two 10179 Millennium Falcons on Amazon.  I listened to my wife.  I had them in cart and asked her.  I will never ask again.  

In my house, asking the wife is a sure-fire way to get the "NO".  ;)

• Like 1