10188 - UCS: Death Star

duckyruiz

You may fire when ready.  

776 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed Death Stars do you own?

• 1 - 2
    • 3 - 4
    • 5 - 9
    • 10 - 15
    • 16 - 20
    • 21 - 25
    • 26 - 50+
  2. 2. Do you believe the set will make a great investment?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
  3. 3. Will it ever retire?

• Sure, soon as I fire my Photon Torpedo.
    • Nope, I'll be dead before that happens.
    • Perhaps, when Hell freezes over.

If people are going to start buying from Amazon, at least help BP.  There have been no deals or anything worth getting excited over for months 

AMAZON LINK: http://amzn.to/1IY3vyF
TARGET LINK: LEGO 10188 @ TARGET
WALMART LINK: LEGO 10188 at Walmart

Tomorrow should be a good day for BP if everyone uses the affiliate links like they should be doing. Interested to see who has the better deals, walmart or Amazon.

I really don't think there is any way to really do it much better.  They fit a lot of great "scenes" into that set with 24 minifigs, etc.  I love it. Like you said, they already gave the scaled looking version the first time around, now they were trying to give the indoor scenes from the movie.  I think they did a great job and it's a fun set.

They can build a model like DS II - of course, there is a risk that it would be just a plate ball, so thatswhy they should create more detailed set (and maybe replace the plates by other building technic).

Or the should just cover this set by flexible plates - so everybody can open it, see the interior and play with it, or close it and display as real DS.

Amazon 10188 Death Star now #2 in its group and #475 in Toys about a 50% increase in rank towards #1 since yesterday afternoon

LOL

This is fun if not anything else

unfortunately this is in an incorrect group, so yea, it should be up high. Overall, it's not that high in Toys & Games (#475)  it seems...

unfortunately this is in an incorrect group, so yea, it should be up high. Overall, it's not that high in Toys & Games (#475)  it seems...

It was about #900 in toys and games yesterday

it is doing well for the middle of the summer for a $400 item with not many discounts cutting to 475 in less than 24 hours

at least in my book

• Like 1

It will be interesting to book mark this page, and take a look back next year when the new one is released for Rogue One (obviously that rumor is 100% legit, since the retirement rumors look true). 

Will this high amount of hyper greed that appears when anything goes OOS amount to one big giant folly, or is it going to showcase the Star Wars brand as very solid investment brand? To really make money on this set it needs to be over 600.00 to make the venture and captial worthwhile.  Will it be there by next year when the new one is released?  Will the prices collapse below that threshold by then.  Tough to say.  But, i'm going to stick to my guns, and stay with one.  It just seems that the final few thousand or so going into the hands of resellers all at once further inflates the bubble...

Edited by fossilrock
  • Like 2

Not going in heavy on this either. Sticking to my limit of 2.

I'm in the same boat as you... I only bought a third one because someone locally was selling NISB for 30% off retail that had been sitting in their closet for 4 1/2 years. Yup, the seal codes are that old. :)

Edited by gregpj

I think this is the riskiest set...I never thought SSD was a risk...

$499 may cap the upside for 10188 after 5/4/16. Most bought sub $300. Slim pickings but doable. It could be a big rush for the exit. Lots to price in on this set and timing will be key. Better than a boring old retirement at least.

• Like 1

$499 may cap the upside for 10188 after 5/4/16. Most bought sub $300. Slim pickings but doable. It could be a big rush for the exit. Lots to price in on this set and timing will be key. Better than a boring old retirement at least.

10188 has sold for $500+ when it has been OOS on amazon.  BTTF was $27 forever.  Sale prices when things are readily available through every imaginable source do not limit what sets can do after they retire.

I'm in the same boat as you... I only bought a third one because someone locally was selling NISB for 30% off retail that had been sitting in their closet for 4 1/2 years. Yup, the seal codes are that old. :)

I'm not big on lego variations BUT i think i've read that early Dstars had Princess Leia with a 'smooth' hairdo. You might be in possession of one if you can figure out what date stamps coincide with that figure. Good luck to ya!

If people are going to start buying from Amazon, at least help BP.  There have been no deals or anything worth getting excited over for months 

AMAZON LINK: http://amzn.to/1IY3vyF
TARGET LINK: http://goto.target.com/c/65738/81938/2092
WALMART LINK: LEGO 10188 at Walmart

Hey, if I can do it for a $8 Stephanie's Pizzeria, then you guys can do it for a DS!

Where is alpine to tell us to buy $400 of Mixels instead :)

lol

Last year, when 10221 was doing the dance, I definitely felt better returns on my $400 Mixel investment than I did on my SSD investment.  I still feel like I did better with that.  I'm still kicking myself for not picking up more HHs at LL CA back in November, instead of the SSDs I picked up.

I don't have anything cheap in mind right now that can flip like Mixels Series 1 could, that would match DS.  I don't have any DSs - too many of you have them.  I'll let you guys fight it out.  I'm cool with that.  I don't even have one to build for my son.  And I'm actually okay with that.

I am laughing at the number of DSs they had at the Lego booth, and some of the retailers at Comic Con, for $400 last week.  Bet the resellers wish this news had come out a week or two ago.