10188 - UCS: Death Star

duckyruiz

You may fire when ready.  

776 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed Death Stars do you own?

• 1 - 2
    • 3 - 4
    • 5 - 9
    • 10 - 15
    • 16 - 20
    • 21 - 25
    • 26 - 50+
  2. 2. Do you believe the set will make a great investment?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
  3. 3. Will it ever retire?

• Sure, soon as I fire my Photon Torpedo.
    • Nope, I'll be dead before that happens.
    • Perhaps, when Hell freezes over.

I am laughing at the number of DSs they had at the Lego booth, and some of the retailers at Comic Con, for $400 last week.  Bet the resellers wish this news had come out a week or two ago.

I saw several people carting those things around in their kids strollers or on the back of Grandma's hoveround at Celebration VII.  It was even morning and I shook my head thinking about how miserable it would be to lug that thing about the crowd.

Heck, even Terry knew to just stock up on Power Armor Lex when he was wheeling around during Wal-Mart clearance.

Edited by exciter1
  • Like 1

I am sticking with my limit of 2 as well. I am a bit wary of this set's potential and all this back and forth chatter just adds to it.

I bought one of the last two Taj Mahals available from Amazon on the day that it clicked over to sold out at LEGO Shop at Home.  I had that same internal debate and the hesitation cost me a good bit of money.  There is no risk in sticking with 2, but I would wager that you will be kicking yourself in the not too distant future.

• Like 1

Hopefully us europeans will have some additional time again before it goes around here. So we can sit back and see how it evolves in the US and can decide accordingly with some pre-knowledge.

What are you talking about?  You'll find one sitting on a shelf somewhere discounted 3 years from now.

• Like 2

I am telling all you guys that think this set is a flop and will not bring big money are making a " huge mistake", how can you think the price is not going to rise fast on this set, You guys that are still regretting not getting any or just a few SSD,HH,TH and others I just don't understand, and if the set is almost done just think what it will be selling for around Christmas, if the set last until the end of the year it still a great set for making good money.   Ed

• Like 5

Interesting coincidence....

SSD was marked as "retired" at LEGO Shop at Home August 18, 2014 .  SSD was doing most of the dance (call to check, sold out, ships at) during July of 2014, with final sold out (or disappearance from site?) sometime around July 30

it did have fun transitions, such as from <Sold Out> to <Out of stock, expected ship date 15 Sep 2014>, from <Out of stock, expected ship date 15 Sep 2014> to <Sold Out>, from <Sold Out> to <Out of stock, expected ship date 6 Oct 2014> (these were on July 29)
SSD had Sold out status before July 30, and people were able to place backorders July 30 that were later filled
Last known USA run for SSD was 20R4

• Like 3

I'm not big on lego variations BUT i think i've read that early Dstars had Princess Leia with a 'smooth' hairdo. You might be in possession of one if you can figure out what date stamps coincide with that figure. Good luck to ya!

Great... because I don't spend enough time reading about LEGO. ;)

Thanks for the tip... I'll look into it I guess!

I am telling all you guys that think this set is a flop and will not bring big money are making a " huge mistake", how can you think the price is not going to rise fast on this set, You guys that are still regretting not getting any or just a few SSD,HH,TH and others I just don't understand, and if the set is almost done just think what it will be selling for around Christmas, if the set last until the end of the year it still a great set for making good money.   Ed

Haha there seems to be a bubble scared within this topic

And there it is.  We got a good old fashioned hootenany on our hands.  Newbies, buy a ds.

• Like 2

I agree completely with emazers.  What he said.

It also brings to mind a famous movie quote

Well Said, Well Spoken BG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiCTYV-DP9w

Edited by trekgate502

I have zero DSs, but don't think this set will flop, and don't believe that this set will not bring big money.  It just doesn't fit into my investment strategy at this time to pick up this particular set.

I feel the same about SSD, and have no regrets about selling my inventory earlier this year.  I know you're as high on SSDs as you are on DSs.

For all of your sakes, I hope it's selling great at Christmas time, and I hope that rumored replacement doesn't affect sales.  For me, personally, with my investment strategy, I'm going in a different direction and I'm okay with that.  I wouldn't say that anyone thinks it would flop; I think some of us feel that there is great risk vs reward here than in other places.

• Like 4

I have zero DSs, but don't think this set will flop, and don't believe that this set will not bring big money.  It just doesn't fit into my investment strategy at this time to pick up this particular set.

I feel the same about SSD, and have no regrets about selling my inventory earlier this year.  I know you're as high on SSDs as you are on DSs.

For all of your sakes, I hope it's selling great at Christmas time, and I hope that rumored replacement doesn't affect sales.  For me, personally, with my investment strategy, I'm going in a different direction and I'm okay with that.  I wouldn't say that anyone thinks it would flop; I think some of us feel that there is great risk vs reward here than in other places.

Alpinemaps I think that is a great statement.  Not the risk vs reward.  But everyone has their own investment strategy and there is nothing wrong with that.

• Like 1

Some people are going to be sorry.  This is a great set.  An iconic set.  Once again, it's time to put up or shut up.  I wonder what it's going to take to convince people about taking a chance on this set?  SOLD OUT is not good enough?  Wait till the next retailer sells out.  Watch the fireworks.  

Edited by Ed Mack
  • Like 2

Bravo. 

This is an iconic set. Maybe even more iconic than SSD.

I admit... rumours of a remake and its long availability make it less attractive to go in deep. But no guts no glory! 

I have a hard time fathoming why anyone would think that a new Death Star set sometime in the future would destroy the growth potential for this set.  This is and always will be a unique set tied to one of the signature elements of the OT.  If Lego does another Death Star set, it won't be the same and will, in all likelihood, be tied to the forthcoming movies.  If you look at sets from the past, 6211 and the current ISD haven't hurt 10030 in retirement.  10188 didn't hurt 10143 in retirement.  Oh boy...I think that I just talked myself into buying a few more.

• Like 2