10247 - Ferris Wheel

mattyman

This is great looking and has huge potential.  Price point at $250 is rough but not surprising.  

however I will say the mixer is looking pretty weak in comparison.  I think the theme may give the mixer some legs, but nothing compared to the potential of a set like this.   

If this becomes an ongoing summer theme, there will be lots of interesting acquisition considerations:

1. Will there be a 2-year run on each set as with Winter Market releases?

2. Will there be similar gaps in production during the winter? (It would seem not given FM availability in recent months, but who can say for sure)

3. Ferris Wheel would be to a Fair theme what Town Hall is to Modular theme, meaning a central, "must have" piece.

4. Assuming Ferris Wheel is the big dog in the pack (popularity if not size), will it run for years and years ala DS, TB, T1?

In my opinion this set is a big winner, but the question is when to dump funds into it (like many here I'm not at the point where I can buy 1 of everything every month and not worry about when I see the returns).

€250!! LOL. No meat on those bones for me.

​You really have to wait and see the box and set in person before saying it is not worth $250.  It might be a very large set in person, which weighs quite a bit.  Most LEGO set prices are based on the amount of ABS plastic in the set and this one looks like it has a large amount of large Technic pieces which weigh a lot.  Also, does it have Power Functions?  I will wait until I see one in person before I question the price.

I don't where the $250 came from but any source I've read said closer to $200 (US) and €250. That seems reasonable considering all the Technic gears & pins included and should place it in the same ballpark for what all the Fairground Mixer came with.

​Fear not, gregpj has got your answer seven posts up.

• Like 1

​You really have to wait and see the box and set in person before saying it is not worth $250.  It might be a very large set in person, which weighs quite a bit.  Most LEGO set prices are based on the amount of ABS plastic in the set and this one looks like it has a large amount of large Technic pieces which weigh a lot.  Also, does it have Power Functions?  I will wait until I see one in person before I question the price.

​Fair point Ed, but I'm thinking more in terms of investment potential, rather than just value for money. I could get a modular and a T1 for that kind of money, so that's what I would be weighing it up against. It doesn't look like it has power functions. Also the 42009 Crane has over 2600 pieces and power functions, and lots of technic for only €170/$220.

Edited by tractorboy

I don't where the $250 came from but any source I've read said closer to $200 (US) and €250. That seems reasonable considering all the Technic gears & pins included and should place it in the same ballpark for what all the Fairground Mixer came with.

​You mean €200? €250 is $277 right now. I have a feeling $200/€200 sounds about right though.

I like it, I don't love it.  Not yet anyway, I wanna see it in person.  Not a fan of Technic sets or Technic looking sets anyway.  If this doesn't have power functions then it's a def no for me.  Was hoping for more with this set.  Just a "like" from me so far. 

I guess that this will be the flagship, TH esque model in the theme so it is logical the price is higher. Hopefully the sets will all be in the same scale too.

I think that the theme´s worth can be judge when the third set is released as 2 sets is not really much of a collection. It is exciting to see a new creator AFOL theme after the modulars and winter scenes and it will be interesting to see how they sell.

​LEGO doesn't always perform a straight conversion in pricing between the US and most of Europe. It's a lucky occurrence if both end up being close.

​They're usually pretty close though, no? That would be quite a huge disparity, especially as the euro is so low against the dollar right now. I think it will be priced the same amount in euro and dollars, like the Helicarrier for instance.

Edited by tractorboy

​They're usually pretty close though, no? That would be quite a huge disparity, especially as the euro is so low against the dollar right now. I think it will be priced the same amount in euro and dollars, like the Helicarrier for instance.

​Possibly. At this point it's all speculation and even likely mistranslation of information. The 250 I read could actually be Canadian retailing and got mixed up with elsewhere.

I like it, I don't love it.  Not yet anyway, I wanna see it in person.  Not a fan of Technic sets or Technic looking sets anyway.  If this doesn't have power functions then it's a def no for me.  Was hoping for more with this set.  Just a "like" from me so far.

​Is there any reason to think this will not have exactly the same function capabilities as the Mixer?  I think it's pretty clear that the Ferris Wheel will be PF ready, but no PF will be included.  My reasoning:

1. S@H Calendar states FW will turn with a crank (functionality established).

2. The box art shows no PF being included (lack of PF in the box established).

Am I missing something?

• Like 1

It is motorized.  You can see the drive wheel here...

Screen Shot 2015-04-26 at 2.19.37 PM.png

​Good eye.  I studied the photo for a few minutes trying to figure out where a motor would fit.  Chances are it won't me motorized, but will have instructions on how to add power functions.

Anybody else notice that there is no base plate being used. That could explain the higher cost. Would there be any reason not to use a base plate like the old Ferris wheel. 

​My guess is because baseplates are kinda flimsy and this particular model especially would probably put a lot of torque on it and bend it in certain places. Even my Grand Emporium baseplate is bent a bit at the corner because of the torquing from the bricks.

​Good eye.  I studied the photo for a few minutes trying to figure out where a motor would fit.  Chances are it won't me motorized, but will have instructions on how to add power functions.

No mentioning of power functions on the box. If you look closely at the picture provided earlier, you can figure out that that are 2 wheels on each side driven by one single main axle to rotate the ferris wheel. The mechanical structure (90 degrees joint to connect the vertical axes with horizontal ones and of course gears) is on the right, beneath the wheel on the ground floor. I bet you can rotate the wheel by hand at the right back-side but I also think that it will be possible to apply technic power functions to motorize it. It would definitely be a big plus in my opinion :-)

image.jpg

• Like 1