10247 - Ferris Wheel

mattyman

​The only reason I mentioned the larger Creator and Advanced Model sets is because some people are kinda including the Ferris Wheel in that class.  It is a very nice set that will surely be a very solid investment.  Home run?  I don't know about that.  Maybe a triple.  

​Not having a clue about baseball, I'm guessing a triple is 3/4 of the way round the diamond thingy? Sounds about right to me. :)

• Like 2

Just throwing this out there...

Fairground Mixer and Ferris Wheel.  Okay great.

Now, start adding in Jokerland.  And Joker's Funhouse.  And the Go-Kart polybag.  And the Hot Dog Stand.  And the Flower Stand poly.

The pieces are there for a true Fairground to be hatched.

​Maybe Winter Market Village? 

I want to see somebody moc this up with some led's to light up the Transparent pieces on the spokes of the wheel.  That would be pretty badass.  Happy with the $200 pricepoint, seems like you get a lot compared to the $150 of the prior set.

​I was thinking the same thing. Light up the orange and yellow areas and also on the wheel itself between each spoke. If it lit up and came with the motor, i'd definitely be in for one. Right now it's kinda cool but not a "gotta have" set.

I agree with a lot of your points.  The question I have is how much will an AFOL pay for this in the future?  It is a rather basic design, even some could argue childish. It is a fair value and cute and creative, but will the AFOLs of the world shell out big dollars for a set that is not in the same league as the Grand Carousel, Taj, Mahal, Eiffel Tower, any Modular or UCS STAR WARS set

​The definition of "childish looks" is the Fairground Mixer, that's why I do not see too much potential there. The Ferris Wheel has less intense colors and is not necessarily (primarily) intended to play with, so at least in regard to "play value" it is not really any more childish than your average UCS Star Wars set imo.

​I was thinking the same thing. Light up the orange and yellow areas and also on the wheel itself between each spoke. If it lit up and came with the motor, i'd definitely be in for one. Right now it's kinda cool but not a "gotta have" set.

​There are glow-in-the-dark elements with the FM, but that's not the same as the light elements.  I agree with you - this needs to be lit up.

I don't really have the skills, but I think you're right.  You could really make this thing shine with a couple LEDs in those areas.

Did someone mention that the pods on the ferris wheel look odd?  see link to picture - there seem to be a few ferris wheels in the real world moddelled like the lego version.

http://www.westcoastamusements.com/ferris-wheel/

anyhow, just thought I'd let you guys know

​looking over the pictures i think the problem with the pods is they are a bit small for a full sized minifig  every picture has a short legged mini, standing in the pod.  I am not even entirely sure a full sized fig would fit standing, or sitting?  The design of the pods is a bit too small for the style of ferris wheel they went with, at least within the limitations of legos.  Still a great looking set, but it is one limitation of the design.

it is obviously moddelled off this style. 

Ferris-wheel.jpg

Edited by jay4e

​looking over the pictures i think the problem with the pods is they are a bit small for a full sized minifig  every picture has a short legged mini, standing in the pod.  I am not even entirely sure a full sized fig would fit standing, or sitting?  The design of the pods is a bit too small for the style of ferris wheel they went with, at least within the limitations of legos.  Still a great looking set, but it is one limitation of the design.

​I think that picture highlights exactly what I don't like about the set. The "pods" hang way too far away from the "rings" of the wheel. I think to get the look exactly right and still build pods that fit at least two figures the set would have had to be 2-4 studs wider and that means even taller.

That being said, it still looks very nice and will surely be added to our collection in time. :)

​I think that picture highlights exactly what I don't like about the set. The "pods" hang way too far away from the "rings" of the wheel. I think to get the look exactly right and still build pods that fit at least two figures the set would have had to be 2-4 studs wider and that means even taller.

That being said, it still looks very nice and will surely be added to our collection in time. :)

​If i get what you are saying then it looks like lego skimped and only went with a single main ring on the wheel.  in the real picture above there are another set of cross beams that connect each pod that are not on the lego model.  certainly some MOC potential there, to build up the model and make the wheel look more traditional.  though you could certainly engineer a real wheel that would not need that extra beam structurally.

• Like 1

​If i get what you are saying then it looks like lego skimped and only went with a single main ring on the wheel.  in the real picture above there are another set of cross beams that connect each pod that are not on the lego model.  certainly some MOC potential there, to build up the model and make the wheel look more traditional.  though you could certainly engineer a real wheel that would not need that extra beam structurally.

That's what I'm saying. :)

I agree structurally it's not necessary but visually the Ferris wheel looks incomplete without it at least to me. In the picture that's the ring with all the lights which is probably its main purpose anyway.

The designer video shows each pod can hold up to three minifigures.  

On the other hand, they did not skimp out on the supports or ramp structure.  There's 8 support legs, when they could have gone cheap with just 4.  And the loading ramp, etc. are pretty detailed as well.   Not to mention the new transluscent decorative pieces.  Finally, they went with 12 gondolas, when they could have cheaped out with 8.  I think it looks great, especially in the video.  I suspect this is one set that will look better in person than pics.  

• Like 1

Really well priced, I`d have expected it to be even higher. $200USD and $230CDN is excellent for 2400+ pieces. Not to go off topic, but look at the Tie Fighter with less that 1700 pieces for the same price. Just serves as a reminder that licensing carries with it both higher costs and in turn higher prices. Anyway, they`re both excellent. 

• Like 1

The designer video shows each pod can hold up to three minifigures.  

​But the video isn't clear about which figures fit height wise in the pods themselves.

Here's a view of the inside of the pod.. the floor is all at the same level.

FerrisWheel-Pods.thumb.png.cd404b7963ea7

Here are all of the minifigs... note the height (i.e. which have tall legs which have short).

FerrisWheel-MiniFigs.thumb.png.0ce496970

Now the full pods.. You can't see, but I believe the figs with full size legs must be sitting otherwise how would they fit? So what it means is that three short-legged figs would fit or 2 full-size (on the sides sitting) + 1 short in the door area.

FerrisWheel-Pods2.thumb.png.8c004b65d641

• Like 1

Really well priced, I`d have expected it to be even higher. $200USD and $230CDN is excellent for 2400+ pieces. Not to go off topic, but look at the Tie Fighter with less that 1700 pieces for the same price. Just serves as a reminder that licensing carries with it both higher costs and in turn higher prices. Anyway, they`re both excellent. 

​I think this also shows how far in advance Lego locks in the pricing of these sets. Based on current exchange rates, we should have seen $250 CDN. This will be one of those sets Canadian investors will have to seriously consider if the exchange rate stays consistent and when the time comes.

Should be able to put in both sized minifigs judging from the stills, though the "adult" figures will be too high for the sides of the pod (leaning over) not to mention bumping their heads on the top! ;) 

EDIT:

​I think this also shows how far in advance Lego locks in the pricing of these sets. Based on current exchange rates, we should have seen $250 CDN. This will be one of those sets Canadian investors will have to seriously consider if the exchange rate stays consistent and when the time comes.

Definitely true. The price too makes it all the more attractive for builders who want to expand their part collections at the lowest price possible as well. I really like on the designer video that they took some time to show off the new parts that have been included. Yes, I agree definetly one to keep an eye on for at least a few different reasons. Should be a big hit. ​

Edited by @rtisan

Should be able to put in both sized minifigs judging from the stills, though the "adult" figures will be too high for the sides of the pod (leaning over) not to mention bumping their heads on the top! ;) 

​You shouldn't be standing in the Ferris Wheel pods anyways, what kind of example is that for the kids? :)

• Like 3

the pink girl with the striped shirt is the same height as the midget MF's. they snuck small legs on her and put her with the midgies.

​think so? The full sized ones look to be just a shade lower... Not sure if you can tell at this size.

FerrisWheel-Pods2a.thumb.png.d439fa7f3d4