10247 - Ferris Wheel

mattyman

Blown away.  The moving safety platform is an awesome touch.  And $199!  Compare this price point to the 10240 Red 5; what a value.  This is easily the finest release of 2015 (pending the Ferrari), and one of the very best designs and sets of the last 5 years.  It's huge!  Minifig scale!  It integrates perfectly with the modulars.  

This is clearly an investment homerun, and will be well bought.  Even then, every future AFOL will want this set after EOL; I can see demand for this rivalling the very best of other EOL sets.   I think this set will set the benchmark for what a great exclusive can do in the well-hoarded era, provided it doesn't become another TB or DS with infinite life. (I almost wish the price point was above $300 to discourage some hoarding/investment.  At $200, this set is a great deal).  This set is so good, it makes the Mixer an almost insta-buy for investment purposes.  Given that 99% of future AFOL will want this set, some subset will want to complete the theme with the Mixer.

• Like 4

Blown away.  The moving safety platform is an awesome touch.  And $199!  Compare this price point to the 10240 Red 5; what a value.  This is easily the finest release of 2015 (pending the Ferrari), and one of the very best designs and sets of the last 5 years.  It's huge!  Minifig scale!  It integrates perfectly with the modulars.  

This is clearly an investment homerun, and will be well bought.  Even then, every future AFOL will want this set after EOL; I can see demand for this rivalling the very best of other EOL sets.   I think this set will set the benchmark for what a great exclusive can do in the well-hoarded era, provided it doesn't become another TB or DS with infinite life. (I almost wish the price point was above $300 to discourage some hoarding/investment.  At $200, this set is a great deal).  This set is so good, it makes the Mixer an almost insta-buy for investment purposes.  Given that 99% of future AFOL will want this set, some subset will want to complete the theme with the Mixer.

​I think he likes it boys and girls :)

• Like 2

​Why not? It's similar to grand carousel. I mean...not really similar similar, but it's similar theme park type of thing.​

​Simply put...rarity.  This set will never be rare.  The Grand Carousel was never stockpiled.  Most people on this site don't have one.  Most people on this site will own a Ferris Wheel...or many more.

• Like 3

After seeing this beautiful piece, what are people now thinking about the mixer?  Is this going to be a series going forward?  

I now have a much better outlook for the mixer.  Not only was it a great build and display, but I think there is so much out there that this one might not do as well in the current buyers market.  So many great sets now, and most people have to be more selective then buying everything.

​Simply put...rarity.  This set will never be rare.  The Grand Carousel was never stockpiled.  Most people on this site don't have one.  Most people on this site will own a Ferris Wheel...or many more.

​Damn...you're right...GC was before the Lego investors found out about lego vesting...

Come to think of it....I think i have too many PS/PC/R5...if the bubble pops, I'll be f....

Edited by legowalker

​I'm just not seeing the same value. It's got the same number of pieces as the PR and is $40 more expensive. The minifigs are quite generic, and apart from the new head, could be put together from BL for very little. Those new trans clear hinges aren't going to be in great demand, similar trans clear hinges sell on BL for peanuts, even ones that are relatively rare. It's a non-licensed set too. It's not a bad price, but it's no steal.

I just can't see 99% of AFOLS being into this years down the line, unless I'm the 1%. Not every adult is into carnivals. Not this side of the pond anyway. Also, having built 4957 Ferris Wheel a while back, I can tell you this is gonna be one seriously repetitive build. 8 supporting struts, 24 spokes, 2 rims made up of 48 of the same little sections, 12 gondolas... zzzzzz.

I'm just playing devil's advocate here and sharing my thoughts on it. If people like it that's great, but it's not for me. Even leaving rarity aside, it doesn't have the wow factor of the GC at all. I think I'd be lucky to double my money on these after 2 years post EOL, which wouldn't be bad, but there's better investments out there for me. Used prices will keep NISB prices modest too I think. I don't think it will be a costly set to bricklink once it retires, as there's lots of multiples of the same pieces in there. I can also see it being heavily hoarded by less savvy investors hoping for GC type returns. I hope I'm wrong, because I love sets that make me money.

• Like 1

​$1000? Maybe? By 2016.

Am I asking for too much?

Not to burst your bubble or anything, but this will be on the market for 2-3 years probably. Maybe more if it's a good seller. So you're looking at it hitting $400 some time around 2019/2020 if you're lucky IMHO. It will never hit $1000 or get anywhere close.

(don't know what's up with the quote functions lately, but I'm really struggling with it lol.)

Edited by tractorboy
  • Like 1

Not to burst your bubble or anything, but this will be on the market for 2-3 years probably. Maybe more if it's a good seller. So you're looking at it hitting $400 some time around 2019/2020 if you're lucky IMHO. It will never hit $1000 or get anywhere close.

(don't know what's up with the quote functions lately, but I'm really struggling with it lol.)

​I mean the Super Star Destroyer 10221 that's going for $700 now. Not the ISD.

Edited by legowalker

The intro sequence that has been on the last few designer videos (Helicarrier) has the Ferris Wheel in it...

"DESIGN" words of the intro sequence...

Screenshot from this video at 1:08... Anything look familiar from the ****** above?

So which ones are we missing from the other letters? :)

​We will look for hints for *anything* *anywhere* 

On topic...I am *so* excited for this set.  I, personally, have been waiting for this set since it was rumored to be coming.  I'm very happy about the price point, I'm extremely happy with the power functions, and I just *love* the look of this set.

This is a home run for me, and I'm going to get this as soon as I can, and get this built as soon as I can.  I just absolutely love this.

• Like 2

​I'm just not seeing the same value. It's got the same number of pieces as the PR and is $40 more expensive. The minifigs are quite generic, and apart from the new head, could be put together from BL for very little. Those new trans clear hinges aren't going to be in great demand, similar trans clear hinges sell on BL for peanuts, even ones that are relatively rare. It's a non-licensed set too. It's not a bad price, but it's no steal.

I just can't see 99% of AFOLS being into this years down the line, unless I'm the 1%. Not every adult is into carnivals. Not this side of the pond anyway. Also, having built 4957 Ferris Wheel a while back, I can tell you this is gonna be one seriously repetitive build. 8 supporting struts, 24 spokes, 2 rims made up of 48 of the same little sections, 12 gondolas... zzzzzz.

I'm just playing devil's advocate here and sharing my thoughts on it. If people like it that's great, but it's not for me. Even leaving rarity aside, it doesn't have the wow factor of the GC at all. I think I'd be lucky to double my money on these after 2 years post EOL, which wouldn't be bad, but there's better investments out there for me. Used prices will keep NISB prices modest too I think. I don't think it will be a costly set to bricklink once it retires, as there's lots of multiples of the same pieces in there. I can also see it being heavily hoarded by less savvy investors hoping for GC type returns. I hope I'm wrong, because I love sets that make me money.

​I think this set is more like a display set rather than build set for general public. . Who care about the build if you put this up in Christmas and every gust say "WOW" when you use it as decoration.  

​I think this set is more like a display set rather than build set for general public. . Who care about the build if you put this up in Christmas and every gust say "WOW" when you use it as decoration.  

​That's a fair point. I never care about the build much either, more the display value. It was just an observation having built the old Ferris Wheel recently and it felt like a chore. You may feel differently however when you're on your 24th spoke...

Edited by tractorboy