10247 - Ferris Wheel

mattyman

I am little disappointed... I have expected much more detailed set (why making a new Ferris Wheel, if not completly different and much more detailed?). Its better than previous Ferris Wheel, but far from Caroussel for example...

​I can understand why you are saying this. The GC is motorized and it looks amazing. Most of that is attributed to the fact that there is a lot of pieces that make up all the details and motorization of the set. If you tried to do the same thing for the Ferris Wheel, it would be a challenge trying to keep the piece count reasonable so that the price is not too high. Motorizing the new Ferris Wheel probably wouldn't be hard, but that would still add to the cost of the set. Also, it's very hard to make something like a Ferris Wheel completely different from what's available.

Looks awesome.  This is a VIP buy day 1 and build to go with the GC and mixer.  Modular street is going to have to find a new place to live this summer - The fair is coming to town on my desk.

This set will help the value of hot dog stand and balloon cart poly bags.  Hoping we get another carnival themed poly.

Expecting this to be $250.  Hoping its not $299.

Edited by cladner

In my experience there have only been 3 lego sets in all of Lego's history that will get a woman who has otherwise no interest in Lego's excited. They are in completely relevant order: Grand Carousel, Town Hall "Otherwise know as Wedding Chapel" and R2D2. Two of these have already proven to be Investor gold and I think R2D2 will also. I will be completely basing my investment opinion on the Ferris wheel on the reactions I get from this demographic.

In my experience there have only been 3 lego sets in all of Lego's history that will get a woman who has otherwise no interest in Lego's excited. They are in completely relevant order: Grand Carousel, Town Hall "Otherwise know as Wedding Chapel" and R2D2. Two of these have already proven to be Investor gold and I think R2D2 will also. I will be completely basing my investment opinion on the Ferris wheel on the reactions I get from this demographic.

I understand the first 2, but why R2D2? Is that based on personal experience or some poll?

I understand the first 2, but why R2D2? Is that based on personal experience or some poll?

​No poll just personal experience. I have seen young women who know little of Star wars other than basic familiarity just love that little droid. They could care less about the ultimate millennium falcon and slave 1, my favorites. Let me put it this way concerning R2, I have seen both my mom and 20's something women who could otherwise care less about lego just adore that droid. I'm talking multigenerational multi gender appeal. 

• Like 2

​I am expecting it to be power functions ready, but I am not expecting it to include the power function modules in the box like Grand Carousel does.

Iin the lower right corner of the set/picture it looks like the horizontal black axle in the middle under the construction ends with a hand crank. I'd expect this to be PF ready instead of including PF right away like you do. Would make this already expensive set even more expensive. Maybe Lego offer a bundle with PF but the "original" new Ferris Wheel set should be one that is operated manually I think.

In my experience there have only been 3 lego sets in all of Lego's history that will get a woman who has otherwise no interest in Lego's excited. They are in completely relevant order: Grand Carousel, Town Hall "Otherwise know as Wedding Chapel" and R2D2.

​R2D2?  No way... first of all, only few women know SW, and if, then there are much more better looking sets (falcon, ISD, Ewok Village, which was one of few sets when my wife said "wow"). The best sets for common, nonAFOL people are either famous landmarks / items (taj mahal, tower bridge, VW, shuttle), or big impressing buildings (HH, TH and other modulars). R2D2 is not like other massive UCS buildings, it is just one character in big dimensions, and not designed well in my opinion (the "head" looks like built from duplo)...

​R2D2?  No way... first of all, only few women know SW, and if, then there are much more better looking sets (falcon, ISD, Ewok Village, which was one of few sets when my wife said "wow"). The best sets for common, nonAFOL people are either famous landmarks / items (taj mahal, tower bridge, VW, shuttle), or big impressing buildings (HH, TH and other modulars). R2D2 is not like other massive UCS buildings, it is just one character in big dimensions, and not designed well in my opinion (the "head" looks like built from duplo)...

​Your right R2 is awful.  Please if you find any let me take them so you won't have to look down upon them in your inventory.

You can hold those VW's in December while I am tripling or more my R2 investments because they are so ugly.

• Like 6

I did not mean to start an argument, but SW did not become the biggest most influential Sci-Fi movie franchise of all time with just a few women taking notice. And famous landmark does not translate to cuteness appeal which translates to "Yeah I'll shell out hundreds of dollars to buy that so me and my favorite boy can enjoy together". But as Trek said, it is good we all have different opinions so we don't all stockpile the same sets. 

• Like 1

I am little disappointed... I have expected much more detailed set (why making a new Ferris Wheel, if not completly different and much more detailed?). Its better than previous Ferris Wheel, but far from Caroussel for example...

My immediate first impression was disappointment as well, but after looking at it from the aspect of matching the build quality of the Mixer, it seems to be acceptable.  The Grand Carousel is a wonderful set and I would have loved to see an equivalent complex Ferris Wheel, but that would put the set in the $400 range and I don't think LEGO wants to go there.  

Overall, the Mixer and Ferris Wheel will pair nicely and I'm sure there will be more similar sets to follow.  A Roller Coaster or portable gaming arcade would be great additions.  

​I wonder if this will be a $230 CAD or $250 CAD set. I'll be buying either way but 230 would be nice. :)

Yeah, cheaper would definitely be nicer.  Maybe $224.99 CAN.  I will wait for reviews but will likely pick one up at discovery centre for 10% off...vs early vip order.  

Maybe Lego will design a 'scrambler'  next.