What LEGO set did you build today?

Ed Mack

Just finished the 10178 Motorized Walking AT-AT. Was a quite an intricate build on the chassis in the beginning, but as expected ends up getting a bit redundant for the legs and exterior parts, as most required multiples of four. However, the final product was well worth it. It looks really great, very accurate to the movie, and is quite sturdy. The best part is, my kitten goes nuts when I turn it on and let it walk around. It's quite entertaining!

-PB

Managed to get time to build the 21103 DeLorean last night.  Cool build!  It's the first CUUSOO set I've built and was really impressed with the nice instruction manual and information in there.  No numbered bags either, so back to the old school method of dumping them all in a pile :)

I completed my build of the 10198 Tantive IV yesterday. What an awesome build. And WAY bigger than I had expected!

I put it together through a couple of local lot purchases. First I saw a grab bag of Lego at a local shop, and recognized the cockpit pieces. Spent about $35 on two lots the guy had. Bought instructions for $15 on Bricklink. After inventorying, I was probably about 300 pieces short, including a couple of pieces I didn't have in my collection.

Lo and behold, ran across a CL listing last week for a "bag of Lego" for $90, which included a Tantive IV, Sith Infiltrator, and some other stuff. Bought it from some kid, and after sifting through found all of the pieces I needed, outside of two dark green 1 x 2 panel pieces.

In the end, after selling the leftover 10198 pieces he had (should be about 85% of the set), and the other stuff, I hope to get back to close to my money spent on the bag. Even if I fall a little short I should only be $60-70 in on a 100% great condition 10198. A lot of work but a lot of fun on the side. :-)

Guest eightbrick

Built 9390 Mini Tow Truck. I had reviewed this set before I built it, and I must say it lived up to the high score I gave it. Fun little build, basically a mini-unimog for like 20 times less dough. Good stuff, and very refreshing for a brick-native builder, not too hard or too easy. I'm writing up a blog entry for this sucker... here's a teaser shot: :D

IMG_0423_zpsc2cca196.jpg

Finished Spongebob 3818 Bikini Bottom Undersea Party while my daughter put together 3815 Heroic Heroes of the Deep by herself. She's getting really good :)

Besides losing Patrick's head because it flew across the room when my daughter tried taking it off (not Lego's fault), 3815 is a solid little set with good playability. I have mixed thoughts on 3818. Squidward's house and SB's pineapple turned out nicely, though the floor of SB's house kept coming loose on me, and I really don't get the ejection feature of SB's bed (am I missing something?). Too many loose parts (kinda wish the speakers were attached to the turntables), and the refreshment stand doesn't stay in one piece.

We've done Glove World, so the only SB set we have yet to build is The Flying Dutchman.

I have mixed thoughts on 3818. Squidward's house and SB's pineapple turned out nicely, though the floor of SB's house kept coming loose on me, and I really don't get the ejection feature of SB's bed (am I missing something?).

In a few episodes when Spongebob's alarm clock goes off, his bed actually catapults him right out of it into his clothes. Lego may have also tried to incorporate the fog horn effect of said alarm clock too as it usually blows him away.

In a few episodes when Spongebob's alarm clock goes off, his bed actually catapults him right out of it into his clothes. Lego may have also tried to incorporate the fog horn effect of said alarm clock too as it usually blows him away.

Aha! (Sadly, the alarm clock is just a sticker.)

There are actual several projectile-launching features in that set. Another one is a cake flying off of the see-saw. It's always funny to see the warning symbol in the instruction booklet. ("You have now built something that can be launched at a younger sibling's head. Please refrain from doing so.")

==

After the Flying Dutchman we'll be out of SB sets to build, unless we go retired. Any recommendations on which older SB sets have good play value?

After the Flying Dutchman we'll be out of SB sets to build, unless we go retired. Any recommendations on which older SB sets have good play value?

Well, the original Krusty Krab had a few decent play features and was probably the better all-around version of the two Lego designed with Krusty Krab Adventures being the second. The Patty Wagon in the second version was fun but as for the main building itself, it was shrunk down from the older design and ended up being a cramp floorless restaurant. The Chum Bucket has some good stuff on the inside and familiar bits from episodes. I guess Bikini Bottom Express could be a nice little set too. The Emergency Room has a nice setup and a trippy looking ambulance but how many times can you play around in a hospital? Man, looking back at these and then each ones current value.... :swoon:

Each of the links here go to a set review so you can get a more in-depth glimpse of each one.

Over the past two days I built hogwarts castle, the battle at hogwarts, knight bus, the burrow, forbidden forest, and a vader tie fighter. I got all of these in a Craigslist lot for $240. I was only missing 6 small pieces out of the entire lot, which I have already ordered off of brick link. All the mini figs and their accessories were there. This was my first experience with harry potter sets. I am very impressed with hogwarts castle and the burrow. Very detailed and fun to build. Once I get my missing pieces I will take some pics and send them back out into the world!

I built the rancor pit and added it to my jabbas palace display. Meh. The rancor is amazing, of course. But the build was super simple and quick. And I actually prefer the palace by itself, i think. Either way, i bought them both for resell and even though i really like all the figs, im going to stick to the plan. My display space is limited and Jabbas stuff just doesnt make the cut.

And characters! I seem to remember more than 4 in that scene in the movie. :)

Did you pay full RRP?

Yeah, not to mention Arwen wasn't even a part of it :D

I was pleasantly surprised by the set though when I built it.  I understand the limitations given Lego had to hit the price points across the range and did pretty well with what they had to work with.

LOTR Pirate Ship ambush - not a huge ship build but plenty of intricate details. I especially like the use of chains and Pronted shields. More like Destiny's Bounty than the POTC or older ships. Comes with 9 figures and 4 of them exclusive (Peter Jackson pirate guy and 3 dead knights). Good value at 20% or more off I think!