What LEGO set did you build today?

Ed Mack

Now I'm curious about those Lego boats that do float. How are they designed? Is the bottom of the boat one entire piece? (The base of the DC is 4 separate pieces.)

Yes. The boats which can float utilize a single (hollow) piece for the 'bottom' or hull of the ship.

Here is the hull from this year's Fire Boat set for an example. (It's a Walmart exclusive by the way. ^_^)

92710c01.jpg

92710.jpg

tmp_image.png

Thanks for all the responses re: floating Lego boats. Now I want to build one to compare with my experience building the DC (which was my first boat...unless you count Olivia's Speedboat...nah)

The Coast Guard Patrol boat (60014) seems to be a similar size to the DC. I may try that one. And you get sharks instead of dolphins, water cannons instead of water skis, and hats instead off hairbows. Oddly though you also get a neon Popsicle with the coast guard set. Weird!! Is this CG patrol boat the largest floating boat Lego has made? Or is there something bigger?

I know it's just plastic but I feel iffy about putting my legos in water.

I know it's just plastic but I feel iffy about putting my legos in water.

Me too in a way. Although I did have fun when I was little playing around with my Lego pirate ships in the pool (and those didn't float).

The Coast Guard Patrol boat (60014) seems to be a similar size to the DC. I may try that one. And you get sharks instead of dolphins, water cannons instead of water skis, and hats instead off hairbows. Oddly though you also get a neon Popsicle with the coast guard set. Weird!! Is this CG patrol boat the largest floating boat Lego has made? Or is there something bigger?

I'm not sure about the biggest and I have no idea why these civilians would be carrying a popsicle out into the ocean.

Guest eightbrick

Boat hulls come in a variety of sizes, the largest (appearing in the 2007 harbour set) being 74 studs long. 51 stud, 48 stud, and 28 stud boat hulls seem pretty common. The hull in the coast guard patrol from this year is a 51 stud boat, and the dingy is pretty standard by now, appearing in seven sets.

Bricklink Catalog: Boats http://www.bricklink.com/catalogList.asp?catType=P&catString=3

Dingy Catalog: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=62812

51 stud Boat Catalog: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=62791c01

PS: Boat hulls are made up of two pieces, the outer hull and the piece with the studs on it (in TOK's pic it is the grey piece). They connect with these special connecting joint things.

wholovesboo, have you considered combining two Dolphin Cruisers to make a big cruise ship?

No w

Me too in a way. Although I did have fun when I was little playing around with my Lego pirate ships in the pool (and those didn't float).I'm not sure about the biggest and I have no idea why these civilians would be carrying a popsicle out into the ocean.

LOL. Geez, Lego--any excuse to add a frozen treat to a set. No wonder those folks are surrounded by sharks. Too busy eating Popsicles and not paying attention. Next they're going to run aground on that lighthouse island.

I still have this floating boat somewhere in my parent's attic:

4025-1-C-1-01.jpg

Not sure if it's larger but as you can see, the hull is made out of 5 separate hollow pieces. Also note that the boat in the picture above doesn't float. You need to attach the extra weight pieces underneath to stabilise it in the water.

• Like 1

Guest eightbrick

PS: If you consider brick-built boats as boats the 74 stud boat is probably not the biggest, the Maersk Ship or Imperial flagship likely claim that award.

I'm not sure how they do it these days, but 25 years ago, a floating boat looked like this:

DSC02681es.jpg

So no, not one piece. On the contrary.

OMG! So much nostalgia!  I didn't even remember having that until I saw that photo now I realise I did I have to track it down  :w00t:

Guest eightbrick

OMG! So much nostalgia!  I didn't even remember having that until I saw that photo now I realise I did I have to track it down  :w00t:

Do you still have it?

I have an early tug boat similar to the police boat. It was cool and had the same goody weight. The boats after this one came with a weight brik that clipped into the inside of the hull that made it float. Today's boats don't even have a weight - just a hull.

I have the one of the police boats that floated, although it didn't need the stabilizer on the bottom, just to be properly balanced with Legos built on top.

I tried to make a cruise ship occasionally, but everyone always ended up drowning in my bathroom sink...

• Like 1

Guest eightbrick

Yesterday built the UCS Vader's TIE. I will then finally be able to build Market Street, followed by Cafe Corner lol

What the megablockin' Kreo-eating tarnation?!? You are one serious builder!

Do you MOC as well?

Guest eightbrick

Not really. My creativity level has to be close to zero.

I just follow the instructions lol

Yeah, I dabble with my own creations sometimes, but  I generally can't even meet Lego's set standards, let alone some of the awesome MOCers out there (Lowestformofwit, I'm looking at you ;) ). There is a certain appeal to both following the instructions and MOCing. Another thing is some people (myself included) don't want to part out their sets for MOCs. I need to update my storage system so I can accomadate both instruction building and MOCing...

Last night I finished 10240 UCS X-Wing. There's nothing quite like a UCS build :) i stretched it out over 3 nights and it was alot of fun, even building the four wings, engines, and lasers. Now it's done, it is gorgeous and BIG. It needs more real estate than any other set I own, and probably the only things that would take up more space are the Falcon, TB, or the Opera House. Anyway if you've been putting it off or just weren't sold on yet another x-wing, I would have agreed with you until I built it myself. You want this set, trust me.

P.s. No, I did not put that ridiculous sticker on the canopy. Looks great without it.