75098 - UCS: Assault on Hoth

bricketycricket

I understand the anger with this collection, I agree with the statements that if they would remove the UCS tag majority of everyone would be not as critical. I always look at 2 sides of a debate, I feel that there is so much negativity about this set nobody has really discussed any positives, let's look at a positive side of this. I think for any younger kids or newer generation Lego fans or collectors that missed the old Hoth sets this is a great opportunity for them to get what they have missed out on, without having to pay the current retired prices of the sets. Many people are posting the pic of this is a 4 in 1, well this is mostly true, but add up the current prices of those 4 retired sets it well exceeds this price tag, it is very well comparable if you added up the retail prices of the retired sets. Who wants to pay retired prices for sets if they plan on opening them up and building them, or giving them to the kids to play with. This is not the first time Lego has resurrected older sets. There will still be value in the original Hoth sets for the collectors that heavily invested into, but we all know Lego does not give a hoot about the secondary market and they can literally just print money any time the want.  

• Like 2

Look all the people who say they will not invest in this set when the retiring rumor starts in a few years you no alot will break down and start the Panic buying, its just the way it is. But I can tell you that this is one set "I will not be buying" unless it was so bad of a seller Lego would blow them out for $100, but you are better off buying 5-10 Ferris Wheels, Sandcrawlers and a few others. But for me this set is dead for people who think this set will be going for $400 and Up well I don't see it. If It does well good for those who have gotten them.   Ed

• Like 1

Another thought. All the pics I am seeing have white background. Imagine how crappy this looks with anything other than a pure white background. Like a shelf. You put this on a wood table and it looks like global warming hoth with half the snow melted.

As an AFOL recently out of his dark age, I'm a huge Star Wars UCS nut. If I came out of my dark age a few years from now, this set wouldn't be on my radar. I would pass over this and allocate funds to other retired UCS sets. Doesn't have the wow factor a slave 1, SSD, Imperial Shuttle, or Sandcrawler does.

• Like 1

This set is an EPIC fail from an investment standpoint.  The main market for a UCS set in in which someone who will pay 600-700 for a set is an AFOL with a large amount of disposable income and typically has minimal shelf space in which display sets.  This AFOL is very picky as to which UCS or Large Lego sets he/she buys.  This set has absolutely ZERO displayability as it is so disjointed it would look like garbage on a shelf.  In 3-4 years, an AFOL who came out of the dark ages and missed this set will have 50 other sets they would rather allocate cash to WELL before this one.  Various portions of this set will also likely be remade in various smaller set forms 2-3 times in the next 5-6 years, further shooting the value through the floor.

EV is super risky to buy and I can barely see that appreciating enough to make a return.  Buying this set for investing is just insanity.  You might as well just flush money down the toilet on this one.  For this to sell for 400 dollars to make it worth your time, it would take Lego burying nearly every set in the Arizona desert to increase the rarity (Atari ET Reference) to make this even remotely worthwhile.  Maybe not that bad, but you get my point.  

This was truly TLG mailing it in.  Utter laziness.  It has some value if you are a parent looking for a one stop shop, but absolutely ZERO from a resale standpoint.

AVOID AT ALL COSTS if you are investing unless you get a 50% or more discount.  You have been warned.  

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Rimmit said:

This set is an EPIC fail from an investment standpoint.  The main market for a UCS set in in which someone who will pay 600-700 for a set is an AFOL with a large amount of disposable income and typically has minimal shelf space in which display sets.  This AFOL is very picky as to which UCS or Large Lego sets he/she buys.  This set has absolutely ZERO displayability as it is so disjointed it would look like garbage on a shelf.  In 3-4 years, an AFOL who came out of the dark ages and missed this set will have 50 other sets they would rather allocate cash to WELL before this one.  Various portions of this set will also likely be remade in various smaller set forms 2-3 times in the next 5-6 years, further shooting the value through the floor.

EV is super risky to buy and I can barely see that appreciating enough to make a return.  Buying this set for investing is just insanity.  You might as well just flush money down the toilet on this one.  For this to sell for 400 dollars to make it worth your time, it would take Lego burying nearly every set in the Arizona desert to increase the rarity (Atari ET Reference) to make this even remotely worthwhile.  Maybe not that bad, but you get my point.  

This was truly TLG mailing it in.  Utter laziness.  It has some value if you are a parent looking for a one stop shop, but absolutely ZERO from a resale standpoint.

AVOID AT ALL COSTS if you are investing unless you get a 50% or more discount.  You have been warned.  

Congratulations! You just UCS-Assault-on-Hoth'ed all contents of this thread into one large reply. 

• Like 4

I decided to crack open Ewok Village, and have spent the week building a few bags a day with my son. We are down to just finishing up the last two bags, which we'll finish up in the next few days, and I will say if this Hoth set is as cool as EV after I see it built and in person, i'll be ok with it.  I'm fine with getting a few large 64x64 stud plates and flushing this set out with white plates and pieces to finish it off.  I do the same for most of these large sets.  With EV we have two green plates that we built the village on, and i'll add more details to the base of it as I get some time. I think that's all this Hoth set needs, is just a little added details.  I also think the set that was a TRU exclusive would work well in combination with this one, especially if you are looking to flush out more of the internal base structure.

But as I think about this Hoth set, and now that i've seen the pics and videos on this set, I will admit it's definitely not as great as Death Star or EV, yet I still think it's pretty darn close to the movie set.  Secondly, I would rather own more sets like this, and less model sets like the UCS B-wing, and even Red 5.  Call it blaspheme, but those model sets just sit on my shelf and collect dust.  I've been contemplating taking down red5 for quite some time now, clean it off, and put all the pieces in numbered ziplocks, and never build it again, until I sell it a few years from now.. I've kicked around buying the UCS Tie-fighter, but that set doesn't do much for me and why waste cash on it, other than for investment, so I probably won't go there. And I still haven't cracked open Slave 1, and regardless what all the fanboys say, I just don't feel like i'll ever open that one either.  I have opened the Sandcrawler, and that is a gem.  So, I think i'm not riding the same praise wave as most here.  But I could see this set, staying on one of our shelves for a while.

But, since this is the second (or is it fourth?) UCS playset after Cloud City, Death Star and Ewok Village.. I'm hoping they do a few more.  I'd like to see a 250.00 variation of Dagobah with Yoda's hut and the Swamp, Maz's Castle flushed out in Tower of Orthanc style, a new large Cloud City (who doesn't), and eventually a new updated UCS Cantina with at least 8 different aliens.  There's still some room for these type of sets IMO, and ill buy them, and I wouldnt be surprised if this Hoth set outsells most UCS model sets (except maybe slave 1).

Edited by fossilrock
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, fossilrock said:

I decided to crack open Ewok Village, and have spent the week building a few bags a day with my son. We are down to just finishing up the last two bags, which we'll finish up in the next few days, and I will say if this Hoth set is as cool as EV after I see it built and in person, i'll be ok with it.  I'm fine with getting a few large 64x64 stud plates and flushing this set out with white plates and pieces to finish it off.  I do the same for most of these large sets.  With EV we have two green plates that we built the village on, and i'll add more details to the base of it as I get some time. I think that's all this Hoth set needs, is just a little added details.  I also think the set that was a TRU exclusive would work well in combination with this one, especially if you are looking to flush out more of the internal base structure.

But as I think about this Hoth set, and now that i've seen the pics and videos on this set, I will admit it's definitely not as great as Death Star or EV, yet I still think it's pretty darn close to the movie set.  Secondly, I would rather own more sets like this, and less model sets like the UCS B-wing, and even Red 5.  Call it blaspheme, but those model sets just sit on my shelf and collect dust.  I've been contemplating taking down red5 for quite some time now, clean it off, and put all the pieces in numbered ziplocks, and never build it again, until I sell it a few years from now.. I've kicked around buying the UCS Tie-fighter, but that set doesn't do much for me and why waste cash on it, other than for investment, so I probably won't go there. And I still haven't cracked open Slave 1, and regardless what all the fanboys say, I just don't feel like i'll ever open that one either.  I have opened the Sandcrawler, and that is a gem.  So, I think i'm not riding the same praise wave as most here.  But I could see this set, staying on one of our shelves for a while.

But, since this is the second (or is it fourth?) UCS playset after Cloud City, Death Star and Ewok Village.. I'm hoping they do a few more.  I'd like to see a 250.00 variation of Dagobah with Yoda's hut and the Swamp, Maz's Castle flushed out in Tower of Orthanc style, a new large Cloud City (who doesn't), and eventually a new updated UCS Cantina with at least 8 different aliens.  There's still some room for these type of sets IMO, and ill buy them, and I wouldnt be surprised if this Hoth set outsells most UCS model sets (except maybe slave 1).

Are you relating those playsets to UCS sets? I'm  sure you know that none of those are UCS, and not sure if you have ever built the cloud city set but it's actually the furthest thing from a UCS, it's cheesy and boring. I have no clue why it's so sought after by collectors/investors.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, stephen_rockefeller said:

Are you relating those playsets to UCS sets? I'm  sure you know that none of those are UCS, and not sure if you have ever built the cloud city set but it's actually the furthest thing from a UCS, it's cheesy and boring. I have no clue why it's so sought after by collectors/investors.

There is only simple answer for Cloud City - rare minifigs...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rimmit said:

You probably aren't wrong but this post made me lol

6 hours ago, stephen_rockefeller said:

Yes, I know very well they don't meet the super elitist lego fanboy's perception that their toys must not look like toys ideology in order for it to meet the "UCS standards". As far as I'm concerned I like the large sets that are 199.99 and over so I'd rather label them as exclusives.  To me, Death Star, EV and Hoth are large lego exclusives and in the same group.

7 hours ago, mauro23 said:

There is only simple answer for Cloud City - rare minifigs...

Cloud City is a great set (one of a kind). Yes, the minifigs are obviously the standouts, but the sets (without minifigs), instructions, boxes (without pieces), and even many of the individual parts sell for very high prices (try bricklinking a set together).

No matter how you break it down, it is a great set, and performer - by every measure. 

Edited by KShine

12 hours ago, Rimmit said:

I don't honestly have doubts that it will appreciate in value.  Only because of the UCS label, completionists will want to own it.  I see it around $350-$400 for a while.  That's where laggers tend to hover anyways, not too much above MSRP, but enough for some people to make a little profit of.  Will it be a quick burner? I highly doubt that IMO, especially in it's EOL stages.

On to the last sentence: ROTLMFAO at finding this for 50% off.  That will be pretty damn hard to near impossible if this stays an exclusive.  And because of the UCS label, I highly doubt there will ever be discounts on it.  Short of this turning out like the B-wing, which let's face it, the way Lego is going right now, this will be a decent seller, and have no justification for a discount to move on to another set.

11 hours ago, fossilrock said:

I honestly feel you on this, even though I don't play with my sets.  But, even I have beef with this set.  At least with the EV and Sandcrawler, you get a great cohesive set, that looks good just sitting there on a desk, and actual play value.  With this Hoth set, you get nothing.  2 baddies, hardly allows for much play anything without having to add on other sets.  This defeats the entire purpose of what I believe to be a good decent set.  When you say you need to add on tons of stuff to make it better, than it just further goes to show what a terrible job they did in releasing this set.

I know everyone has their own opinion and I respect yours, but they honestly could've done better meshing the two.  IMO, (some won't like it,) but I think in order to do this a true UCS Assault on Hoth, they should've made it a $400, add an AT-AT, AT-ST, get rid of all of superfluous crap, and just focus on the base and main shield generator.  I really feel if something like this was done, then you could honestly really recreate the assault without having to do too much, and I think it would be worthy of the UCS tag at that point.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, citymorgue said:

I don't honestly have doubts that it will appreciate in value.  Only because of the UCS label, completionists will want to own it.  I see it around $350-$400 for a while.  That's where laggers tend to hover anyways, not too much above MSRP, but enough for some people to make a little profit of.  Will it be a quick burner? I highly doubt that IMO, especially in it's EOL stages.

On to the last sentence: ROTLMFAO at finding this for 50% off.  That will be pretty damn hard to near impossible if this stays an exclusive.  And because of the UCS label, I highly doubt there will ever be discounts on it.  Short of this turning out like the B-wing, which let's face it, the way Lego is going right now, this will be a decent seller, and have no justification for a discount to move on to another set.

It will likely appreciate in value, but not enough to turn a reasonable profit given the time it will take to get there.  Selling at 350 - 250 for actual cost - 53 in fees - 30 in shipping and gas = 17 dollars.  Not really worth it considering it will be likely 2-3 years for it to ever reach that level.  Could possibly take even longer.  Much better places to put money.

For the record I was only stating 50% off to illustrate what a bust this will be in the secondary market and did not expect it to get to 50% off in this current day, but.... since you seem to have a hard time believing UCS Sets can ever hit that point of discounting I will leave you with this picture. 

A long, long time ago....

In our own Milky Way Galaxy....

there was a time The Lego Group Empire

sent out many UCS Sets at 50% discount

in search of owners in the far reaches of the galaxy. 

I bought 30 of these.  ROTFLMFAO

IMG_4387.PNG

Edited by Rimmit
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Rimmit said:

It will likely appreciate in value, but not enough to turn a reasonable profit given the time it will take to get there.  Selling at 350 - 250 for actual cost - 53 in fees - 30 in shipping and gas = 17 dollars.  Not really worth it considering it will be likely 2-3 years for it to ever reach that level.  Could possibly take even longer.  Much better places to put money.

For the record I was only stating 50% off to illustrate what a bust this will be in the secondary market and did not expect it to get to 50% off in this current day, but.... since you seem to have a hard time believing UCS Sets can ever hit that point of discounting I will leave you with this picture. 

A long, long time ago....

In our own Milky Way Galaxy....

there was a time The Lego Group Empire

sent out many UCS Sets at 50% discount

in search of owners in the far reaches of the galaxy. 

I bought 30 of these.  ROTFLMFAO

Yes I understand that at a time you could get sets like that for cheap.  But that was also 11 years ago.  Different time in Lego history.  When in recent years, (besides the B-Wing,) have you ever seen Lego discount an exclusive/UCS set? Even that close to 50%?  It hasn't happened.  I'll bet money that 75098 never sees a discount greater than Lego's double VIP.