75098 - UCS: Assault on Hoth

bricketycricket

Or there is a new AT AT coming out that we just don't know about yet!? Here's hoping!? I'm all out of the 75054!!

I seriously doubt it. The line in the instruction manual is consistent with the idea that his set was supposed to be out last year sometime.

I'm curious to see the seal codes in these. Not that I think it will mean a thing, tho. I wouldn't be surprised to see them be recent but wouldn't be surprised to see them be from sometime last year, either.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CoastaLego said:

I've said it before and i will say it again.  For those that think a new At-At isn't coming out soon you are crazy.  Do you think they printed 100,000 instructions for this set 2 years ago and have been storing them in a warehouse waiting for set production??? 

Plus At-At are prominent in rouge one amd star wars battlefront.  A At-At will be out by fall or the latest January 17

2003 --  2007  --  2010  -- 2014.  

these are the release dates of the past 1000+ piece AT-AT sets that have ever been released by LEGO.

4 years, 3 years, 4 years, ... next is - 3 years.  2017.  hopefully the second half of 2017.

Assault on Hoth comes out this year.

we will be due for an AT-AT next year at which time Assault on Hoth will still be for sale.

So the instructions are predicting the future.  which is already like watching a clock.  

there will be plenty of time to make money selling AT-AT's this year once people start buying Assault on Hoth, and building it, then they will be buying at-at's and snowspeeders.

Edited by cladner
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, CoastaLego said:

I've said it before and i will say it again.  For those that think a new At-At isn't coming out soon you are crazy.  Do you think they printed 100,000 instructions for this set 2 years ago and have been storing them in a warehouse waiting for set production??? 

Plus At-At are prominent in rouge one amd star wars battlefront.  A At-At will be out by fall or the latest January 17

We have had confirmation from a few on Eurobricks no AT-AT was planned for 2016.

That being said the delay of the second SW movie could change plans quite alot, including the un-retirement of 75054. Remember what happened to 10215 when there was an unexpected hole in production? Nothing is certain, and nothing is forever in the reselling game.

• Like 1

I like this set. It is bad enough to finally focus LEGO's attention on the fact that the target customers of this scale/price point don't want trash. The desperate damage control going on over Brickset is a testament to this. If the existence of this set was needed for this realisation then I welcome it.

• Like 4

I agree, I think  the set / collection is fine. If they would remove the UCS tag we wouldn't be filled with as many complaints. Yes it is a collection of already released sets, but they have been retired for some time and now fetch a hefty price tag over the original msrp. Lego does not care about the resellers & secondary market, they care about selling product now in the present. This is a great way for the people who missed the old Hoth sets, or new fans to get them all now in one box collection. 

Haterade.png

Edited by Deanfjr

19 minutes ago, Deanfjr said:

I agree, I think  the set / collection is fine. If they would remove the UCS tag we wouldn't be filled with as many complaints. Yes it is a collection of already released sets, but they have been retired for some time and now fetch a hefty price tag over the original msrp. Lego does not care about the resellers & secondary market, they care about selling product now in the present. This is a great way for the people who missed the old Hoth sets, or new fans to get them all now in one box collection. 

Not many would complain if it was a regular set priced around $200. Iconic SW themes are bound to be rehashed after all and I can imagine many people who don't have a good Hoth setup. People are offended because they put the UCS tag on it like it was special and charge the corresponding premium markup. 

• Like 6

Not many would complain if it was a regular set priced around $200. Iconic SW themes are bound to be rehashed after all and I can imagine many people who don't have a good Hoth setup. People are offended because they put the UCS tag on it like it was special and charge the corresponding premium markup. 

Yeah I completely agree, don't get me wrong I'm not completely sold on this set from the pics but until I see it in the flesh I won't make my final judgement. As@inversion states, I think people are more disappointed by the UCS tag when compared to such sets as Slave1 and the SC, however you can bet your bottom dollar a lot of these decisions are influenced by Di$ney so maybe we can't all hold TLG responsible?

• Like 1

I don’t know if anyone has read the current “review” on the brickset, it’s probably even more bearish than on here, and worth a scan on current sentiment.  One thing did stand out when reading through the comments.  

By CapnRex101 in United Kingdom, 23 Apr 2016 20:32
I have almost finished building this set and my initial impressions are not good. The only comment I will make at the moment relates to the instruction manual and the designer interview inside. One sentence reads:

"A new AT-AT just came out last year, so you can still replay the whole battle in style"

The fact that 75054 AT-AT was retired in November has evidently been ignored. Presumably the set was intended for release last year and LEGO failed to update the instructions, perhaps due to carelessness or as a means of saving money. That appalls me as I expect plenty of children will be disappointed to find that the set promised to complement 75098 Assault on Hoth in the instruction manual is not actually available in stores. The secondary market price will probably increase accordingly.

Hopefully the final stages of the build will mollify my opinion.

What this means regarding a / the (delete as appropriate) new version of the AT:AT, speculate away.. 

And Lego probably delaying the launch of a set.  

Edited by feed

11 minutes ago, feed said:

What this means regarding a / the (delete as appropriate) new version of the AT:AT, speculate away.. 

All the speculation has taken place over last 2 pages.

To summarise.

There's no new at-at this year unless they drastically reduce piece count according to summer & rogue one set details made available. 

As it appears in Rogue One trailer we can most likely expect a new one based on the film in Jan.

However the Rogue One At-At looks to be sand coloured with yellow markings so won't really work with AoH.

Edited by Fenix_2k1

4 minutes ago, feed said:

"A new AT-AT just came out last year, so you can still replay the whole battle in style"

OMG, it is a shame. I dont undertand, why they retired AT-AT so soon, few months before the release of AoH. Even if they will make a new version of At-AT, it is still a mess - because in the moment of releasing of AoH there is no At-At available. The soonest date is January 2017, more than a half year after AoH. During this period, there will be so many children disappointed, that they cannot finish the Hoth battle. First fail was releasing AoH without AT-AT (WTF is assault of Hoth without AT-AT???), and this is second fail.

I think the whole AoH story is really a bad joke. This set is awful, without AT-AT, without big generator, just uncompleted mega pack of existing sets. If they release such set for EUR 100, I can accept. But for 250 ???? Since it is UCS, we cannot expect big discounts. Really a bad joke.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mesje said:

OMG, it is a shame. I dont undertand, why they retired AT-AT so soon, few months before the release of AoH. Even if they will make a new version of At-AT, it is still a mess - because in the moment of releasing of AoH there is no At-At available. The soonest date is January 2017, more than a half year after AoH. During this period, there will be so many children disappointed, that they cannot finish the Hoth battle. First fail was releasing AoH without AT-AT (WTF is assault of Hoth without AT-AT???), and this is second fail.

I think the whole AoH story is really a bad joke. This set is awful, without AT-AT, without big generator, just uncompleted mega pack of existing sets. If they release such set for EUR 100, I can accept. But for 250 ???? Since it is UCS, we cannot expect big discounts. Really a bad joke.

You should read the Brickset review.   Lego appears to be in serious damage limitation mode.  If they have an AT-AT of any description in the pipeline, it really wouldn’t surprise me if they tried to bring it forward.  But we all know the disaster that could be.   

14 minutes ago, Fenix_2k1 said:

All the speculation has taken place over last 2 pages.

To summarise.

There's no new at-at this year unless they drastically reduce piece count according to summer & rogue one set details made available. 

As it appears in Rogue One trailer we can most likely expect a new one based on the film in Jan.

However the Rogue One At-At looks to be sand coloured with yellow markings so won't really work with AoH.

Well sure, but that was before we knew that the instructions manual in a UCS sets gives the buyer instructions to go out a buy a set that’s been retired for 6 months and only available for a considerable mark up from reseller scum.  

In this case Lego may be lucky in that no-one is going to buy the set in the first place.  

8 minutes ago, feed said:

Well sure, but that was before we knew that the instructions manual in a UCS sets gives the buyer instructions to go out a buy a set that’s been retired for 6 months and only available for a considerable mark up from reseller scum.  

In this case Lego may be lucky in that no-one is going to buy the set in the first place.  

Maybe LEGO felt guilty for all the LEGO Shop at Home bans they've been handing out and decided to throw the resellers a bone.

• Like 1

Has anyone watched the Official Lego Designers Video on you tube, the set is a lot bigger then I first imagined, probably because its so 'bitty' in comparison to a set such as the EV.  For those that chose to buy it, they are going to need some serious free shelf room . . . Kids on the other hand are probably going to enjoy placing it all over the living room floor creating scenes from The Empire Strikes Back!! I doubt Lego are that fussed if us collectors/resellers can't find the room to make it look nice on a shelf, however they are obviously targeting kids with this play set so in that respect it will probably still turn out to be a strong seller! As we know, experience tells us that when the Hoarde doesn't purchase, in a few years it will retire, then its worth more post retirement as the market isn't saturated with the sets as initially everyone thought it was a dud and steered clear. Whereas beautiful sets such as the Tumbler, overly hoarded, worth little more then retail at present 4-5 months after retirement  . . .

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Fenix_2k1 said:

Where did i say theres no At-at coming out? You're putting words in my mouth and then getting on your soap box about it.

Yes there will be a new at-at, it will be based on rogue one.  It will probably come out next January hence why they dc'd the old one so there was at least a years gap.  However, the fact is they have mentioned one being available to complement the set in the instructions of AoH, the new one won't complement it, as it's a different At-At to the Hoth one.  So they must have been talking about 75054 which has already retired. Hence me saying it looks like the release of this set has been delayed and was probably due to come out last year and they've shot themselves in the foot by delaying it because you can't buy a Hoth At-At from Lego anymore. 

You can say that about the tumbler in europe but here in America it's doing better than red5 and has not been retired nearly as long or out for as long. 

• Like 1

Has anyone watched the Official Lego Designers Video on you tube, the set is a lot bigger then I first imagined, probably because its so 'bitty' in comparison to a set such as the EV.  For those that chose to buy it, they are going to need some serious free shelf room . . . Kids on the other hand are probably going to enjoy placing it all over the living room floor creating scenes from The Empire Strikes Back!! I doubt Lego are that fussed if us collectors/resellers can't find the room to make it look nice on a shelf, however they are obviously targeting kids with this play set so in that respect it will probably still turn out to be a strong seller! As we know, experience tells us that when the Hoarde doesn't purchase, in a few years it will retire, then its worth more post retirement as the market isn't saturated with the sets as initially everyone thought it was a dud and steered clear. Whereas beautiful sets such as the Tumbler, overly hoarded, worth little more then retail at present 4-5 months after retirement  . . .

Yes. This is absolutely the opposite of the Tumbler...

That's my point in essence, it doesn't matter how much we winge about the set not being up to scratch, should it have the UCS Tag etc. etc. it will still sale by the pallet load, and everyone will still go crazy about it in a few years time when the 'retiring soon' label shows on the Lego website.  And therefore Lego will still coin it in regardless, and their balance sheet at the end of each year will still tell them that they are building the sets that people love.  

I personally don't have the hate some do on this set.  I'm definitely going to pick one up, and I'm sure my son will give it plenty of use. 

With all the hate, you have to think that this could be a set that gets an early retirement.  However, i'm not so sure of that either.  I read the facebook thread, and the hate wasn't like what it is in threads like this one.  There seemed to be a lot of casual fans interested in it. 

However, if there is one set primed for an early exit, this would probably be it.  I personally hope lego keeps up with the large diorama themes though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fossilrock said:

I personally don't have the hate some do on this set.  I'm definitely going to pick one up, and I'm sure my son will give it plenty of use. 

With all the hate, you have to think that this could be a set that gets an early retirement.  However, i'm not so sure of that either.  I read the facebook thread, and the hate wasn't like what it is in threads like this one.  There seemed to be a lot of casual fans interested in it. 

However, if there is one set primed for an early exit, this would probably be it.  I personally hope lego keeps up with the large diorama themes though.

I agree.  Probably due to the fact the majority of members on here are AFOL a big 'playset' isn't quite as appealing as a UCS Slave 1 for the display cabinet, hence the negative comments.  However, for all the child lego fans out there (which is probably a higher percentage), they'll love this set !! I know my son would prefer playing with this as opposed to the UCS Tie I've just purchased and therefore I'll still end up purchasing one regardless if I hate it or love it ! That was my point earlier, all the hate won't distract from the fact it will still be a huge seller and therfore Lego will still keep making sets of this degree.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Manse1001 said:

I agree.  Probably due to the fact the majority of members on here are AFOL a big 'playset' isn't quite as appealing as a UCS Slave 1 for the display cabinet, hence the negative comments.  However, for all the child lego fans out there (which is probably a higher percentage), they'll love this set !! I know my son would prefer playing with this as opposed to the UCS Tie I've just purchased and therefore I'll still end up purchasing one regardless if I hate it or love it ! That was my point earlier, all the hate won't distract from the fact it will still be a huge seller and therfore Lego will still keep making sets of this degree.

I have a few of the UCS SW sets like Red5 out on display, and my boy doesn't play with them (if he wants to, it lasts about 5 minutes) because they are too big, and hard for him to play with.  He'll sit and play for hours with the Death Star Final Duel, and Ewok Village.   I can see him playing with this for hours too, and we already have the AT-AT and other snowspeeder, so he's set.  The market on this one is definitely not for AFOL's, but kids.  I know that completely hoses the UCS title, but I think that's the reality on this one. 

The new UCS Snowspeeder is coming up though, and i'm sure it will be well designed and on par with some of the more recent UCS sets.  I've read the same hate for the latest Sandcrawler and I never really understood that, because I consider that such a brilliant set.  Still to this day, that was perhaps the most fun I had putting together a set. 

Edited by fossilrock