75098 - UCS: Assault on Hoth

bricketycricket

8 minutes ago, citymorgue said:

Yes I understand that at a time you could get sets like that for cheap.  But that was also 11 years ago.  Different time in Lego history.  When in recent years, (besides the B-Wing,) have you ever seen Lego discount an exclusive/UCS set? Even that close to 50%?  It hasn't happened.  I'll bet money that 75098 never sees a discount greater than Lego's double VIP.

1 hour ago, Rimmit said:

For the record I was only stating 50% off to illustrate what a bust this will be in the secondary market and did not expect it to get to 50% off in this current day, but.... since you seem to have a hard time believing UCS Sets can ever hit that point of discounting I will leave you with this picture. 

If you actually read my post, I specifically stated that I did not expect it to ever hit 50%. I was just stating it would have to be 50% to be worth while.  The picture was just to illustrate that in extreme circumstances a set can hit 50% off. 

I would agree that a discount down to 225 with Lego VIP, and at the most 200 on sale is the most it will ever be discounted in the current day.

Edited by Rimmit

7 minutes ago, Val-E said:

Now visible at SAH Europe. 250 euros for all major countries except.......  Italy 260 and Holland 280!

Yes because the Holland version comes with four stormtroopers... 

Stormartroopers... :jester:

Edited by mauro23

On Saturday, 13 February 2016 at 10:09 PM, Ed Mack said:

I have been busy at work, so I haven't really had the time to discuss this set.  I have thought about it more and this set in particular really disturbs me.  The one thing that has driven the LEGO secondary market for years are sets geared towards the adult collector.  The nonsense I read above from a LEGO rep talking about "LEGO sets need to be played with" is just dumb.  They are all played with...aren't they?  The large display models don't come assembled, do they?  If you want to destroy the LEGO company, just go back to the dull set designs of the 80s and 90s that were based on "play."  The company almost went bankrupt releasing the same retreads over and over again.

LEGO nearly went bankrupt because they were selling sets for less than the cost to make them.

31 minutes ago, whoisbiggles said:

LEGO nearly went bankrupt because they were selling sets for less than the cost to make them.

That's the consequence of the "play" philosophy, the designers went batsh!t crazy and almost doubled the number of part references in the Lego catalog, with a lot of specialized pieces. And also Galidor, never forget Galidor.

• Like 1

People will buy this set when its about to retire. All Lego has to do is drop the price to 20% off at SAH and it will get cleaned up by the horde. I don't want the horde to partake in buying this set thought. I want Lego to have a filled warehouse of them and force them to sit on it and destroy the set in the crusher. I don't want another play set that looks like is was made by a intern on his first day. 

8 hours ago, whoisbiggles said:

They'll have to do the same thing with this piece o crap. If you're selling a premium product you can charge a premium price, but no matter how good your product is, if the design is garbage and the target audience sees it, you can't charge that premium. The commentary on this set is overwhelmingly neutral to negative. It's Star Wars so of course it'll sell at first but it'll fall to the bottom of the heap pretty quickly.

• Like 2