75098 - UCS: Assault on Hoth

bricketycricket

9 minutes ago, Bold-Arrow said:

That is not a good advice. It is about what the buyer likes. 

It's just the piece of advice given to new bickpickers... if you're not at least a bit convinced about the future success of a set... aso...

For me, it worked well so far ;) 

But it is a Star Wars Set, so be assured that it will be hoarded by some. There will be no "Sea Cow Effect" anyway!

6 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

After a day of deep and thoughtful analysis I have come to the conclusion that this poorly designed and uninspiring LEGO set will be a poor seller and will have a short production run, thus being a worthy investment.  That is all.

As in 16R6 in December 2017 poor seller or giving this set away free when you buy the UCS Snowspeeder poor seller?

One of these is happening! :)

20 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

After a day of deep and thoughtful analysis I have come to the conclusion that this poorly designed and uninspiring LEGO set will be a poor seller and will have a short production run, thus being a worthy investment.  That is all.

Exactly, so please do not buy this set

7 minutes ago, dcdfan said:

If I'd have followed this advice, I'd have lost a ton on all those crappy BTTF Delorean's...

yes of course there are exceptions (why do you guys always counter with rare exceptions, when someone tries to give a more general newbie advice?)... or better... sorry for that crappy piece of advice!

To consider: Did you all really think sets, e.g. like BTTF Delorean were losers and you bought them anyway? ... :P

It's also about the feeling you should have, when you look at a set. Delorean triggered a certain emotion, for sure. And so will UCS Hoth for many.

With the growing speculation and heightened anticipation, there really was no other outcome aside from disappointment regardless of the final product. Fact is LEGO has done the base on Hoth countless times before primarily available through the relic known as Toys R Us that there was not much left new to showoff. Also I believe they tried to cram a few too many scenes from Hoth into the set mainly the cave. In the end this does feel like basically an 'all-in-one' set for those who may have missed out or did not know of the older Hoth sets.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Ensche said:

yes of course there are exceptions (why do you guys always counter with rare exceptions, when someone tries to give a more general newbie advice?)... or better... sorry for that crappy piece of advice!

To consider: Did you all really think sets, e.g. like BTTF Delorean were losers and you bought them anyway? ... :P

It's also about the feeling you should have, when you look at a set. Delorean triggered a certain emotion, for sure. And so will UCS Hoth for many.

In my book, liking a set and thinking it is a bad set are two distinctive terms . 

9 minutes ago, Bold-Arrow said:

In my book, liking a set and thinking it is a bad set are two distinctive terms . 

You're perfectly right. I didn't want to argue the converse!

My point was more like: "ugly but loveable Delorean" or now "ugly Hoth UCS, but I need it to complete the collection"

Thinking a set is a bad set and thinking a set is a bad investment are two distinctive terms as well ;)  but happens only on rare occasions that one buys a set considering it a bad set AND a bad investment.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, biking_tiger said:

The rebel base on Hoth was a glorified snow fort. UCS treatment or not, what else would we expect? Some more bad guys, maybe an AT-ST, but really... it's a snow fort. 

I agree with you on that!  For the price point, and the amount of minifigs, plus 2 maxifigs that were added into this, there's just a few things i'd like to have seen done to this. 

I think i'd rather have seen them build the base structure a little bit more and skipped the wampa cave, and maybe made the trench piece an add-on.  I think it would have been better to see extended sidewalls added to the large main structure and maybe a little bit of an extended roof (like in Exciters photo a few pages back). Then perhaps the trench segment could have been put in a larger "hoth attack" set.  Also, would have liked to have seen a giant white 64X64 inch white plate included.  Other than that I just dont see what more they could have done.  It's just a hollowed out snowcave that looks like a giant hollowed out warehouse inside.

A lot of the griping going on here that makes little sense, and not many provide solutions on how they would have made it better and kept it at a 250.00 price point.   A lot of people seem to want lego to provide a 10,000 piece set for 199.99, so a lot of the whining is unrealistic.. 

16 minutes ago, fossilrock said:

I agree with you on that!  For the price point, and the amount of minifigs, plus 2 maxifigs that were added into this, there's just a few things i'd like to have seen done to this. 

I think i'd rather have seen them build the base structure a little bit more and skipped the wampa cave, and maybe made the trench piece an add-on.  I think it would have been better to see extended sidewalls added to the large main structure and maybe a little bit of an extended roof (like in Exciters photo a few pages back). Then perhaps the trench segment could have been put in a larger "hoth attack" set.  Also, would have liked to have seen a giant white 64X64 inch white plate included.  Other than that I just dont see what more they could have done.  It's just a hollowed out snowcave that looks like a giant hollowed out warehouse inside.

A lot of the griping going on here that makes little sense, and not many provide solutions on how they would have made it better and kept it at a 250.00 price point.   A lot of people seem to want lego to provide a 10,000 piece set for 199.99, so a lot of the whining is unrealistic.. 

How about add an AT-AT and AT-ST and about 2000 pieces and make it $400.00?  Make it an actual "assault" like the movie.  Maybe add a Snowspeeder and some minifigs.  They half-@$$ed it.  

• Like 3

I actually agree with the beginning of fossilrock comment, but do not agree with the last few lines.

So yes to: giant baseplate, 64x64 white baseplate would be what you expect in a set at this price point and structure guys, structure! Make a rough outline of the cave-like structure with basic inside elements and complement it with optional modular add-ons, Jabba-style. Add to that Ion canon (that could have be three-four elements build, two Planet-like half-spheres and whatever laser element. And decent four-discs shield generator.  Skip Wampa, skip trenches, we have Hoth Attack for that. And skip damn snowspeeders for goodness sake, we have had like gazillion of these. Everyone and their mum have a Snowspeeder.

As for the attackers, I'm totally ok with two suicidal snowtroopers, give us a decent displayable base already, we'll complement it with way more than a scout force.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Ed Mack said:

How about add an AT-AT and AT-ST and about 2000 pieces and make it $400.00?  Make it an actual "assault" like the movie.  Maybe add a Snowspeeder and some minifigs.  They half-@$$ed it.  

Then people would still complain that Lego just combined a bunch more sets and in turn killed the AT-AT's value. And at that point, why not just release the AT-AT or keep the old one going.  I have no idea why the AT-AT retired after a year and a half, but as someone that invested in a bunch of them, i'm AOK with that decision.  Personally, I did a little mind fist-pump when I didn't see AT-AT in this set.  I'd rather see a 500.00 UCS AT-AT down the line that can appease the elitist adult UCS collectors that don't want their legos to look like toys.  And i'm sure eventually we will see that.

Don't be shocked, if the new death star is also a 250.00 set for Rogue One.  It's evident to me that EV and Hoth are the start of a new UCS branded playset theme that will sit around that 250.00 price point.  I bet we start seeing one of these a year, and I say bring it!  I'd rather buy a few of these, over 10 smaller sets.  Plus it seems most of the non-playset UCS sets that aren't mainline ships are duds.  Just look at B-wing, Obi Wan's Starfighter, all those bust sets like Maul, Yoda etc.  Whereas, I guarantee sets like Death Star, EV, and this Hoth set will sell a lot more copies than those did.  The adult lego collector market is just a small fraction compared to the kid market, which is Lego's target audience. 

I'm still buying this set.  Do I think it's as good as EV?  No, I don't.  But, this is just a snowcave with a warehouse in it.  Considering what this set is based off of, I think they did a decent job.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, cladner said:

looking at the snowspeeder in the video, it looks to be identical to 75049 other than differences in a color on a couple of flat tiles. so they really phoned it in on this one.  will be looking to unload at-at snowspeeder combos coming up later this year.

at-at price has gone up $25 on amazon now lowest price $215  since the news of the "UCS" base broke.  

AT-AT should be at-at the same as MSRP as this UCS by the time it gets released.  would like to see the combo's break $325 before i sell.

the fact that it didn't come with an AT-AT.  and one snow speeder without Dak Ralter gearing up.  and 2 snow troopers?  that's just wrong.

i'm here to help make things right.

IMG_3263.thumb.JPG.bab677a9c0b8de2c8161b

Yep, pretty much those two sets compliment this new Hoth set.  Those that invested in those two sets are going to make out like bandits over the next year, especially with those that buy this UCS set, but didn't buy these.  If you have the AT-AT, Luke's Snowspeer, along with the Hoth Attack set, and the new Assault on Hoth set, you pretty much have all a little kid needs to play out that scene.

If you have all those sets, you'll have 7 snowtroopers, an AT-AT driver, and Commander Veers to make a battle.

I also wouldn't be shocked if Lego makes another add on to this down the line.

1 hour ago, cladner said:

i'm here to help make things right.

Sounds like a line from Dead Pool. Couldn't agree more or care less about this set other then it saves me money and helps my current holdings. I've had my listing for a set of 3 AT-AT up and waiting for over a month. If a new one is coming this fall for those of us well positioned moving 75054 should not be an issue. 

• Like 3