75098 - UCS: Assault on Hoth

bricketycricket

17 minutes ago, Armor said:

This set is honestly not that bad for a investment point of view. The set itself is unappealing to my opinion and I don't like it and I will not be buying this set to sell, but lets not shoot it down so much. The set is a one stop shop to buy a collections of older sets that people might have missed out on. Also remember the Hoth battle was the only real land battle done in the OT and that is the reason why the battle was so popular. 

As investors we should look out for the possible coming of a new At-At and/or snow speeder in early 2017 to pair with this set. A At-St and 75138 is coming out during this sets life cycle. Another Hoth battle pack could come out with 2 snow troopers and 2 rebels. I have tons of 8083 and 8084 that I have keeped away and those should do nicely to sell before the possible new packs come.

This set is another average Hoth white background and that is boring to me. This set should not have the UCS label on it but lets not forget the sets that old time investors have stockpiled. This set may not be the best to sell but that does not mean that the set is not worthless in other areas.

I see this set going the Ninjago Airjitzu 70752 way. My opinion is that they pair it with the 75138 and the At-St in may 4 2017 to clear the warehouse of them.

Here's the deal though. This set is a bundle of several Hoth sets that would retail for around $220. The brickpickers we are would be easily be able to obtain the sets for 25-30% off, which would drop the price down to $150. Since Lego slapped a UCS tag on this set, the discounts will be far and few between. Lego will be pulling in a lot more money for themselves while leaving very little meat on the bone for resellers. It's actually a genius move by them.

Edited by pete411
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Val-E said:

I´d like to hear speculation about why this set was not released last year, as originally predicted and per the set number. Perhaps it would have flown under the radar amid the TFA hype and playsets. Now, there is nothing to talk about and everyone is focused on this set as the May 4th biggie.

Damage control. Au contraire, it was released amid NY Toy Fair with too many other sets, so TLG hoped to dilute criticism with other offering (there's no way in heaven or hell they didn't know this tsunami was coming). Mission failed abysmally, no one's talking about that other stuff. Not much anyway, there is nothing to steal 75098's spotlight.

22 minutes ago, Armor said:

This set is honestly not that bad for a investment point of view. The set itself is unappealing to my opinion and I don't like it and I will not be buying this set to sell, but lets not shoot it down so much. The set is a one stop shop to buy a collections of older sets that people might have missed out on. Also remember the Hoth battle was the only real land battle done in the OT and that is the reason why the battle was so popular. 

As investors we should look out for the possible coming of a new At-At and/or snow speeder in early 2017 to pair with this set. A At-St and 75138 is coming out during this sets life cycle. Another Hoth battle pack could come out with 2 snow troopers and 2 rebels. I have tons of 8083 and 8084 that I have keeped away and those should do nicely to sell before the possible new packs come.

This set is another average Hoth white background and that is boring to me. This set should not have the UCS label on it but lets not forget the sets that old time investors have stockpiled. This set may not be the best to sell but that does not mean that the set is not worthless in other areas.

I see this set going the Ninjago Airjitzu 70752 way. My opinion is that they pair it with the 75138 and the At-St in may 4 2017 to clear the warehouse of them.

Temple of Airjitzu is 10179 to this set. And for pairing this with an AT-AT, that's the only thank you we get to say to TLG, as 75054 is the only AT-AT this set will ever be paired with. It won't survive until the next iteration.

• Like 1

Here's the deal though. This set is a bundle of several Hoth sets that would retail for around $220. The brickpickers we are would be easily be able to obtain the sets for 25-30% off, which would drop the price down to $150. Since Lego slapped a UCS tag on this set, the discounts will be far and few between. Lego will be pulling in a lot more money for themselves while leaving very little meat on the bone for resellers. It's actually a genius move by them.

The set itself in not valuable but the knowledge it brings is. We can now estimate the next sets release. TLG is not stupid enough not to have a At-At and a Large Hoth Base able to be purchased at the same time. This new set is like a larger version 9474 and 9471 and will have more than 1 set to pair with it. a At-St, turret pack. maby a new battle pack, snow speeder, and a new At-At. 

Edited by Armor

Temple of Airjitzu is 10179 to this set. And for pairing this with an AT-AT, that's the only thank you we get to say to TLG, as 75054 is the only AT-AT this set will ever be paired with. It won't survive until the next iteration

I said a At-St, not a At-At.

AdgLi.jpg

A new At-St has already a strong foundations and is practically already know to be coming out later this year.

I still do not think that TLG is stupid enough to have a $250 Hoth base and not have a At-At to go along with it eventually. 2017 is most likely when it gets released. If they don't release a new At-At and/or snow speeder then that is perfect for my stockpile but i'm not holding my breath. 

Well, you also mentioned "possible coming of At-At", that's what I was referring too. As for the At-St, it's not in the summer pipeline. Which leaves us with Force Friday and Rogue One wave, but I wouldn't really hold my breath.

And 2017... well, how to put it, I know I might be pushing it a bit with this forecast, but right now, February 2017 seem on the optimistic side when it comes to availability of this marvel, IMHO.

19 minutes ago, Vinetu said:

Well, you also mentioned "possible coming of At-At", that's what I was referring too. As for the At-St, it's not in the summer pipeline. Which leaves us with Force Friday and Rogue One wave, but I wouldn't really hold my breath.

And 2017... well, how to put it, I know I might be pushing it a bit with this forecast, but right now, February 2017 seem on the optimistic side when it comes to availability of this marvel, IMHO.

At-St is rumored to be one of the 5 sets in the Rogue One lineup.  This is a pretty good likelihood as the guy that stated it is a suspected lego mole and his predictions always ring true.  I also suspect we will see a Tantive 4 and Slave 1 in this lineup.

Honestly, i'm kinda ho-hum right now about all the sets coming out until Rogue One gets released.  Nothing i've seen from toy fair is that great.  We may very well be going through a lego designer slump.  

7 hours ago, Ed Mack said:

That would be the worst investment of your LEGO life.  This set will not be bought by adults and it's too expensive for kids.   A loser...unless it's a short production run.

Lego press release on May 4, 2018: "Assault on Hoth was the first set 100% bought by investors, who know the value of the Lego UCS brand. All of the 47 sets sold during its 6 month life span were bought by bulk buyers with 2 or more items each."

• Like 4

4 hours ago, rfish said:

Watch out, again, newbie investors! Rebels is pure gold! Put all you money on these!...

I've made good money on Rebels sets this year; there IS gold in them there hills.

Wait, why I am I defending Rebels? I have yet to watch an episode, and have no emotional attachment to the series.

/thread derailment

Well, it's sort of exacerbated by the fact that we haven't had a fan favorite since 10221, ok Slave 1 being the notable exception. Sandcrawler? Nice, better remake, but we could have survived some years without it. TIE? We had a perfect 9492, and certainly didn't need this super-scaled monster. Slave 1 was a rip off in the sense that it was supposed to be 2014 second UCS and was moved to 2015, but as I said, an exception to the above rule. Quid of the AT-AT? Let's not even go to the MF waters, I don't even know if we need to draw it to TLG we bloody want that remake. Ship makes a spectacular comeback in TFA and you give us THIS in the slot just after the movie's released? Next, Bespin? That's all without going to the PT.

You sort of understand the rage after considering all of the above.

Edited by Vinetu

2 hours ago, Armor said:

Battle of Endor?  That was a pretty important land battle.   Hoth is so popular because of the AT-AT's, and there are none in this set.  They created a set called "Assault on Hoth" and didn't include the one most iconic assault vehicle of the battle.  They could have at least released this set when said vehicle was in production, but that didn't happen either.   I can see new collectors wanting to get these older sets that they missed out on, but why just do a basic repackage when Lego had the opportunity to redesign these elements.   That way it would give long time collectors something new, new collectors a chance to get some iconic characters and scenes, and perhaps the set would be worthy of the UCS badge.

• Like 1

Thank you Lego.  You have created a giant plastic filled box of steaming @&$!  

I am honestly fine with this.  It allows me to  spend money on other sets or better yet stop buying so much.   This is the year I think I turn from buying so many extras of Lego and just get the ones I want to build and display with my boys, and load up on gold and silver.  I am starting to get very scared with world economy and price of oil.  

• Like 1

In any case it's very a good business strategy: putting a UCS label, for 249 they won't sell "Assault on Hoth", but only "******* ** Hoth"

To get "******* on ****" you'll need at least two-three snowspeeders more
To get "Assault ** ****" you'll need at least two-three AT-AT more

With only some cosmetic changes they'll be able to give what miss betwen september and november, they've already done that with 75049 and put it there, why shouldn't they do that with 75054? Before you pay for the "necessity", after you pay to satisfy it

No bad selling only one word for the price oh three

I am gonna voice my displeasure in this set by instead purchasing the killer croc batman tank set, the giant man airport set, the black panther set, and a slave I during double vip.  The only way lego will learn is to hit them where it hurts, the wallet.....oh wait......crap, nevermind:)

Edited by waydog
  • Like 4