75098 - UCS: Assault on Hoth

bricketycricket

This set is definitely in the "play set" category vs "display set" category.  I agree with BA that they should have dropped the UCS tag.  But if you look at this from Lego's core market -- kids not AFOLs -- this set will be a winner.  The leaked box art doesn't convey the scale.  Both the blast door and the cannon ridgeline are about 32 studs wide.  So this will provide tons of playability for kids.

The AFOL in me wishes they included white baseplates to build a connected snowscape for all of the submodels.  But that would be unrealistic.  Lego rightfully focussed on the 95% market that wants to play vs the 5% that wants to display.

• Like 1

I fail to see why inverters are angry with this set. We know the next wave of star wars lego coming in the in the summer  wave. There is nothing related to a at-at or snow speeder being released in the 2016 fall wave except for rumors. If early 2017 wave has a at-at, then all of us would have made bank with our stockpiles of 75054 with Christmas. 

The set is a white dumpster with figs but if the majority of average people want this because of the star wars hype, then I'm here to satisfive them. Lego droped the ball here and I'm here to collect bank. 

Edited by Armor

I've bought just about every single exclusive since late 2013, and have enjoyed just about every single one of them.  But this is definitely on the disappointing side honestly.

When I first heard about the $270 batcave, I was pretty excited, but honestly, I have no desire whatsoever to buy it.  I might buy this Hoth set, only because I don't have any hoth related items, but even then, it's going to be a tough pill to swallow for $250.  Even if the scale looks nice and it's big, it just looks unfinished.  It's like a 5 in 1 set, not a single cohesive UCS set.  That's one thing I will give Ewok Village over this, it's huge, and all of it ties together.  It's not a mishmash of stuff.

I, like most of you have waited a very long time to see this, and this is it?  I just hope the rumors of a 'bigger, better Death Star' are true, and I really hope the rumors of a UCS Snowspeeder is true as well.  Otherwise, outside of flagship technic sets, there won't be much to rave about this year.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, citymorgue said:

I've bought just about every single exclusive since late 2013, and have enjoyed just about every single one of them.  But this is definitely on the disappointing side honestly.

When I first heard about the $270 batcave, I was pretty excited, but honestly, I have no desire whatsoever to buy it.  I might buy this Hoth set, only because I don't have any hoth related items, but even then, it's going to be a tough pill to swallow for $250.  Even if the scale looks nice and it's big, it just looks unfinished.  It's like a 5 in 1 set, not a single cohesive UCS set.  That's one thing I will give Ewok Village over this, it's huge, and all of it ties together.  It's not a mishmash of stuff.

I, like most of you have waited a very long time to see this, and this is it?  I just hope the rumors of a 'bigger, better Death Star' are true, and I really hope the rumors of a UCS Snowspeeder is true as well.  Otherwise, outside of flagship technic sets, there won't be much to rave about this year.

Well... maybe we can spend our money on a nice holiday this year instead of lego sets.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Alpinemaps said:

The 2,144-piece building set inspires fans to build their own scouting missions with the Snowspeeder, armed with twin spring-loaded shooters, and get back to base on the speeder bike to help Luke, Han and the other Rebel heroes.

Makes you wonder what happened that he leaves base in a snowspeeder but has to return on the speeder bike.  Somehow I doubt he's going to be much help to Luke, Han and the other Rebel heroes.

45 minutes ago, fuzzy_bricks said:

The one Hoth set we have, the Wampa cave, is included in this set, kind of makes this a tough sell for us.  I guess I could start a Wampa family.

I wonder if Lego looks at secondary pricing when pricing a set like this?  A quick review of Hoth Lego sets on Amazon and you could convince yourself this is a good deal.

and the older wampa set you talk of is larger than what's included in 75098...

The adult collector in me says it needs another 4000 pieces which would make it about a 600.00 set, which is just unaffordable to many people that would want this.  However, little kids into Star Wars are going to love this set - it has pretty much everything to create a hoth battle scene, minus an At-At and an At-St (which is due out for Rogue One).  I see these large playsets for kids, more so than adults.  Remember who the market is for!  Plus, it seems everytime the new sets are released, the rotten tomatoes get tossed here.  I'd give this one an 8 out of 10 stars. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, citymorgue said:

I don't see any way we'll ever get a comparable Death Star without the price point being $500+.

4 minutes ago, Anakin_Skywalker said:

This set feels like a handful of sand in the mouth to me but I want to wait and see which are the real dimensions of this. Might turn into something, at least big even though everything seems like disconnected and not so attractive

I don't like sand, It's abrasive and it gets everywhere.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

I don't see any way we'll ever get a comparable Death Star without the price point being $500+.

I don't see why we couldn't?  Yes Star Wars tend to be pricier in terms or what you get for you money versus other licensed sets, but it's not out of the realm of possibility.  Think about the fact that you have a 4600+ Piece Ghostbusters set for $350.  Pretty impressive no matter how you cut it.  Sure you have a 3000 piece Helicarrier for the same price, so licensing is a big deal.  But you also have to think, that unless Lego gives us a carbon copy of 10188, it's actually possible we could get a really nice display Death Star for the same price. Or something along the lines of a 10143.  And yes, over the years Lego has become pricier and pricier, but oil has significantly dropped, and if it stays like this, actual production costs will be quite a bit less as well.  On top of distribution and all the other logistics involved.  I'm just not such a pessimist when it comes to what Lego can produce.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, fossilrock said:

The adult collector in me says it needs another 4000 pieces which would make it about a 600.00 set, which is just unaffordable to many people that would want this.  However, little kids into Star Wars are going to love this set - it has pretty much everything to create a hoth battle scene, minus an At-At and an At-St (which is due out for Rogue One).  I see these large playsets for kids, more so than adults.  Remember who the market is for. 

By that logic we can start referring to Big Zoo as the UCS of everything Duplo.

the disappointment is over the UCS label . Like others said it is now marketing gimmick rather than a luxury stamp. 

I try not to let the UCS label make or break a purchase for me.  This is the same argument that people had against the Sandcrawler, and I still to this day think the sandcrawler was one of my favorite builds, blowing away many of the other UCS sets out there.   I just look at sets like this strictly as an adult buying quality toys for my son, and this one fits the bill.  This is one of those sets that he will play with for hours on end.  A lot of sets I get my son get played with for maybe a couple times, then sit in a corner collecting dust (jurassic world, scooby doo, etc).  I have my doubts if I get this for my kid, it would sit collecting dust.  This is one that will get a lot of playtime. 

While, I haven't seen the complete features in action, it looks like this has an elevator, enough guns, a button that makes the shield generator blow up when it's hit by a missile, a little light saber shooter in the wampa cave so that you can fire it towards Luke so he can kill the wampa, and a whole bunch of other features built into it.  Enough minifigures to make a rebel army, and enough snowtroopers you can combine with a few previous sets.  It's pretty packed with features.  Give a kid the AT-AT and Luke snowspeeder set from last year, and the upcoming Hoth Attack set that you can add to this one, and it would be a large playset for a kid that would mimic the scene in the movie quite well. I felt the same way about the Sandcrawler.  That set also had a lot to it, and a kid can play with that for quite some time.

Is it perfect?  No. Is it UCS like Slave 1 or Red 5 - no not at all.  But, I see these playsets like Ewok Village and this one as great large scale sets you get kids.  It has a lot of pieces, and heck, it has some exclusive figs, along with a new snowspeeder that contains Wedge and Wes Janson. 

I'll buy at least one for my boy.  As for investment, i'd probably skip it.

I think people just want a hoth base that looks like the Death Star 2.  Lego's core market is making playable sets for kids.

• Like 1