75098 - UCS: Assault on Hoth

bricketycricket

This is a Joke Land, "r" is superfluous.

Seriously though, TLG recently advertized a vacancy for Senior Marketing Manager for SW, I wonder if the vacancy got "liberated" because the old one came up with this little "treasure"...

Let me help you here TLG (considering that if I ever applied to that position my CV wouldn't pass IT filters, astrophysics and space engineering, no marketing...):

When you market a set of 250 whatever, you target AFOLs. Adult fan of Lego for the new hire. Yes, those guys that have bought almost every single Hoth set that you put out in last 10 years and that can compose 80% of this "Challenge for the most experienced builders" from what they have on the shelves and in the attic. A tiny winy fraction is going to be bought by super-rich parents wanting to please their kids, but that's NOT your main audience for the sets at this price point. You following me? Good. Who's your second biggest category of buyers for sets like this? That's right, investors. Only, the hiccup here is that the latter are following the fancies of the first target audience for sets of this kind. If you follow my reasoning, you'll get to the point (of enlightenment...)  where your two main target groups won't touch this set with a 12-foot pole. </rant> or </job onboarding help>

I am taking bets now, who's with me that this set will challenge no-discount rule in the US and that this will be the shortest production run in recent history of SW theme?

Edited by Vinetu
  • Like 1

I would urge caution here - it's very difficult to understand the scale of the set from box art.  I bet once all of these pieces are lined up on your dining room table (or wherever you build Lego) it will be an impressively sized set.

Plus, there are some sneaky great parts to this set - who doesn't like getting a Wompa and Taun-Taun?  There's also a boat load of minifigures.

• Like 1

Quick search through social media and the general feeling seems to be much more positive than here. Could be the same people that think every set is cool but never buy any of them or maybe we here just expect a higher standard on supposed UCS sets.

Probably people who don't already have the earlier released sets...

8 minutes ago, boxofcorey said:

Quick search through social media and the general feeling seems to be much more positive than here. Could be the same people that think every set is cool but never buy any of them or maybe we here just expect a higher standard on supposed UCS sets.

My two main issues with the little info we have :

1. lack of Empirial vehicles ( mainly  at-at) . Thrown in an at-st or something 

2. UCS moniker . Drop that . 

I will wait for more pictures but this seems like a disappointment to me.  Although it is good for me, I don't understand the logic behind releasing an iconic scene without the ability to complete it.  Like others have said, this is just a mis-mash of things.

Imagine if they took out the Wampa Cave, expanded the Hoth base further, and offered AT-AT's., AT-ST's, Snow speeders and a Wampa cave in separate sets all in ONE production run........

Edited by lego rules
  • Like 1

I really don't think it's that bad, though it is a bit uninspired if you have previous Hoth sets since there is so much reuse here.  However if you have none of these sets then it has everything you need - makeshift hangar bay with door, control room, ion cannon, shield generator, turrets, Snowspeeder, Wampa, and Tauntaun.  There should be more value here for the price though.  They could have fleshed out some of the structure for better scale or dropped the Wampa and cave in favor of focusing more on Echo base.

Maybe LEGO is experimenting with "modular" sets concept for Star Wars line.  Kind of like in City arctic sub-theme where you have multiple sets that can be combined to create a cohesive scene.  This set (75098) would be the base / big set for "Hoth" sub-theme.  Then the new 75xxx are the "add-ons" to Hoth, be it AT-AT, snowspeeder, AT-ST, more troops, etc, etc

So when you buy 75098 and all of the add-ons you in essence build the Ultimate Collector Series (a massive series in which all sets need to be collected to complete the whole scene) :D

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Quacs said:

I would urge caution here - it's very difficult to understand the scale of the set from box art.  I bet once all of these pieces are lined up on your dining room table (or wherever you build Lego) it will be an impressively sized set.

Plus, there are some sneaky great parts to this set - who doesn't like getting a Wompa and Taun-Taun?  There's also a boat load of minifigures.

I agree about the scale - it looks like the main entrance is at least 40+ studs wide and hopefully looks bigger in person