75098 - UCS: Assault on Hoth

bricketycricket

You can see again exactly the same LOGO on the box like for the Sandcrawler:

Star Wars Ultimate Collector Series - not only Ultimate Collector Series.

It looks like these sets come without the UCS sticker and are just big Star Wars playsets. 

Edited by mauro23
  • Like 1

This reminds me a lot of the new 60's Batcave. A bunch of freestanding, disparate pieces that have a few cool ideas but when stood on a shelf would look kind of dumb.

I have the old Echo Base set and the new small Hoth set too, not to mention a Snowspeeder, so what exactly is in this set that would make anyone want it? Very little, unless you had somehow never acquired any Hoth Lego before and wanted this rather boring thing cluttering up your life.

Might go and buy another Ewok Village as that set destroys this one in every aspect.

• Like 4

I want one for my personal collection as I sold off all of the previous Hoth sets with the exception of the recent AT-AT and Snowspeeder.  What I don't get is why this is priced at $250 for only 2,144 pieces, especially when you consider that there is so much reuse here.  The bad part is that it's an exclusive so discounts will be almost non-existent here in the U.S.  If it was a retail set, it would be easy to score for 20-30% off which makes it more reasonable.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bold-Arrow said:

I really want to know how TLG is defining UCS. Forget investment aspect for a minute, as a builder and a big fan , this is a disgrace to the subtheme if the pic is in fact accurate . 

I have answered this question already few days ago - when you ask them, they send you a link to BrickSet UCS list. So even they don't know it...

Edited by mauro23
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bold-Arrow said:

I really want to know how TLG is defining UCS. Forget investment aspect for a minute, as a builder and a big fan , this is a disgrace to the subtheme if the pic is in fact accurate . 

It comes with all three new " shooters" ..

• the new six-stud shooter
  • a flick fire
  • the single-stud pistol shooter

LOTS of play value there. ;)

** Edit.. no helicopter though. Is the snowspeeder the new Star Wars helicopter? **

Edited by gregpj
  • Like 4

I think for $250 it is a decent set. A play set, certainly not an UCS. Lots of good figs, 2 big figs. Easy to incorporate existing Hoth sets, especially the new one recently released. Good starter for a Hoth theme. 

Just for a moment, forget please that you already own some Hoth sets. Hoth is an integral part of the OT, and LEGO can't allow itself not to release sets just because they already had years ago. Imagine you are new to LEGO SW, and want a good play set with an iconic scene. This more than qualifies. 

So I like this set for what it is. Not UCS and not a display set in itself. However a good start for a displayable Hoth scene. You are focusing too much on the UCS label which is nothing more than a marketing gimmick. I did not expect anything more, since what would qualify as true UCS would at least have 5000 bricks and I don't see a Hoth scene commercially viable at that price point.

In this we get the important parts, figs and some nice builds, the rest is upon us to develop a big scene if we want to. Basically the rest is only standard white and gray bricks to build the cave and building structures, but a lot of them. We also need sets like this. Hope next is Cloud City.

• Like 1