75098 - UCS: Assault on Hoth

bricketycricket

Wow, that was bad (seems even worse now, after seeing the video).

But as they mention, we seem to get lots of new stickers. Plus that idiotic lookout tower/lift thing (that doesn't even exist). I like how the designer mentions it would be cold up there (almost as if he was embarrassed by how ridiculous it is). 

I bet that lookout tower was actually "borrowed" from the Kenner toy (not the film) ;)

56bf6ad2d8365_ImageUploadedByBrickpicker

• Like 1

Wow, that was bad (seems even worse now, after seeing the video).

But as they mention, we seem to get lots of new stickers. Plus that idiotic lookout tower/lift thing (that doesn't even exist). I like how the designer mentions it would be cold up there (almost as if he was embarrassed by how ridiculous it is). 

Wow, soooo true!! :)

I like what everyone has to say and the breakdown of the previous sets was "awesome"

I  see a couple things happening:

1.  This item will still sell regardless as it is a Star War's set with a UCS label on the box period.

There is always a new market when it comes to Star Wars..and new Lego Enthusiasts every day

2. Almost everyone  that has said something negative about this set will still buy one. "C'mon who you kidding, its got the UCS stamp!" (deep down you can't resist)

A true collector has no choice, he has to buy...deep down you this is true.

Almost similar thread to the Red-5 release.  I read that entire thread and almost everyone was saying negative things about it and complained that the $199.99

price was too high but in the end it sounded like they were all trying to grab as many as they possibly could..(regardless of how ugly the box was)

As for me I will most likely buy one to build as I missed out on all the previous Hoth sets.

Investing: You def wont lose money and as long as there is a fanbase (which there is) you will do fine should you buy some. Are there better things 

to buy? Sure there is but that isn't the topic..

One last thing, how much would it cost right now for someone to buy all the previous Hoth sets? I could take the time and do it myself but I know someone 

out there already knows it like the back of his/her hand. :)

Edited by dakinelego
didnt mean to post on someone else's comment
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, dakinelego said:

I like what everyone has to say and the breakdown of the previous sets was "awesome"

I  see a couple things happening:

1.  This item will still sell regardless as it is a Star War's set with a UCS label on the box period.

There is always a new market when it comes to Star Wars..and new Lego Enthusiasts every day

2. Almost everyone  that has said something negative about this set will still buy one. "C'mon who you kidding, its got the UCS stamp!" (deep down you can't resist)

A true collector has no choice, he has to buy...deep down you this is true.

Almost similar thread to the Red-5 release.  I read that entire thread and almost everyone was saying negative things about it and complained that the $199.99

price was too high but in the end it sounded like they were all trying to grab as many as they possibly could..(regardless of how ugly the box was)

As for me I will most likely buy one to build as I missed out on all the previous Hoth sets.

Investing: You def wont lose money and as long as there is a fanbase (which there is) you will do fine should you buy some. Are there better things 

to buy? Sure there is but that isn't the topic..

One last thing, how much would it cost right now for someone to buy all the previous Hoth sets? I could take the time and do it myself but I know someone 

out there already knows it like the back of his/her hand. :)

Have you forgotten about B-wing? 

LEGO had to put it at 50% off to move it. Had to be retired earlier than other UCS. Not doing very well in the market after all this time. 

Sure in the long run you "won't lose money" but surely you will lose in opportunity cost.

Any investor or stubborn-must-have-collector who buys this on day one is doing it wrong.

Investor: wait for it to get on sale 30% or more else don't touch it.

Collector: wait for a newbie investor to make the mistake and then unload below MSRP.  

• Like 1

I love how the 2 Snowtroopers have a bigger mounted gun then they've ever had. I can just imagine that conversation with designers: "So we have like 20 good guys, and only a budget for 2 bad guys" "well lets just design them a really big gun! the biggest we've ever designed for snowtroopers! that will even the odds".

• Like 2

I would have no problem with this set IF:

1. It was called "Hoth Defense Base".  This is no assault.  There are no AT-ATs. The Wampa did not assault the Rebel base.
  2. Remove the UCS label.
  3. List at $179 MSRP.
  4. Written apology from LEGO with an enclosed 10% coupon towards an AT-AT purchase on Amazon, eBay or Brickclassifieds. 

• Like 6

37 minutes ago, MathBuilder said:

Have you forgotten about B-wing? 

LEGO had to put it at 50% off to move it. Had to be retired earlier than other UCS. Not doing very well in the market after all this time. 

Sure in the long run you "won't lose money" but surely you will lose in opportunity cost.

Any investor or stubborn-must-have-collector who buys this on day one is doing it wrong.

Investor: wait for it to get on sale 30% or more else don't touch it.

Collector: wait for a newbie investor to make the mistake and then unload below MSRP.  

I wish I was around for a 50% off UCS! I didn't know anything about lego's then but from what I've researched it has done poorly compared to the others especially considering it's release date.  Ultimately in the end we will buy what we "like" more.  If you're talking numbers yes plenty of way better options, but you can't change the heart/mind of a fan who for some reason just "loves" everything about Hoth(and the b-wing) and has to have it.  Lego will make there $$ off the weak and the patient may come out ahead should Lego decide to do a price drop...only the numbers will determine that outcome.

I  agree with you on waiting for a 30% drop as an investor.... anything closer to $199 is more appropriate pricing for this playset.

Edited by dakinelego

Given this uninspired "UCS Hoth Super Pack", 2 nearly identical TFA X-wings released almost at the same time (the second one just being introduced at NYTF) and the recent Xmas Toy Shop remake indicating further personnel/time shortages, it really seems the Disney SW deal has pulled TLG (and their creativity) out of their comfort zone. It will be interesting to see what they come up with next in the SW line. More remakes and "Super Packs" on the way?

10 minutes ago, rfish said:

Given this uninspired "UCS Hoth Super Pack", 2 nearly identical TFA X-wings released almost at the same time (the second one just being introduced at NYTF) and the recent Xmas Toy Shop remake indicating further personnel/time shortages, it really seems the Disney SW deal has pulled TLG (and their creativity) out of their comfort zone. It will be interesting to see what they come up with next in the SW line. More remakes and "Super Packs" on the way?

Considering the next UCS are snowspeeder, DS and maybe MF, I´d not expect too much.

It will be interesting to see how they do takes on the TFA ships such as Kylo Ren´s.

I´d like to hear speculation about why this set was not released last year, as originally predicted and per the set number. Perhaps it would have flown under the radar amid the TFA hype and playsets. Now, there is nothing to talk about and everyone is focused on this set as the May 4th biggie.

This set is honestly not that bad for a investment point of view. The set itself is unappealing to my opinion and I don't like it and I will not be buying this set to sell, but lets not shoot it down so much. The set is a one stop shop to buy a collections of older sets that people might have missed out on. Also remember the Hoth battle was the only real land battle done in the OT and that is the reason why the battle was so popular. 

As investors we should look out for the possible coming of a new At-At and/or snow speeder in early 2017 to pair with this set. A At-St and 75138 is coming out during this sets life cycle. Another Hoth battle pack could come out with 2 snow troopers and 2 rebels. I have tons of 8083 and 8084 that I have keeped away and those should do nicely to sell before the possible new packs come.

This set is another average Hoth white background and that is boring to me. This set should not have the UCS label on it but lets not forget the sets that old time investors have stockpiled. This set may not be the best to sell but that does not mean that the set is not worthless in other areas.

I see this set going the Ninjago Airjitzu 70752 way. My opinion is that they pair it with the 75138 and the At-St in may 4 2017 to clear the warehouse of them.

• Like 1