75098 - UCS: Assault on Hoth

bricketycricket

Not only is the set still a big disappoint to me, because I was so looking forward to owning actual Hoth related items, but I just don't understand how Lego themselves can't pin down what they exactly want with their term 'UCS.'

It seems like it's a pretty obvious definition, but they keep side stepping it.  If they can't figure it out, they should drop the damn moniker and move on, and just keep the packaging and nice instructions and stuff.  Besides, it's not like they haven't had over 16 years to figure out what the hell it's supposed to truly mean.

Edited by citymorgue

21 minutes ago, citymorgue said:

Not only is the set still a big disappoint to me, because I was so looking forward to owning actual Hoth related items, but I just don't understand how Lego themselves can't pin down what they exactly want with their term 'UCS.'

It seems like it's a pretty obvious definition, but they keep side stepping it.  If they can't figure it out, they should drop the damn moniker and move on, and just keep the packaging and nice instructions and stuff.  Besides, it's not like they haven't had over 16 years to figure out what the hell it's supposed to truly mean.

Kinda makes sense you don't like it.  It's a "morgue" of a set :)

Seriously, I agree with all your points made.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Phil B said:

UCS  = Ultimate Collector Series - that to me indicates this is meant for Collectors, i.e. the adult/late-teen audience. If it's a playset, it doesn't really fit with the UCS tag. So I can see how people might be upset about LEGO using this on AoH. I know it is all semantics anyways, and I tend to agree with those who think it was Disney who pushed for this designation.

I said it once & I will say it again: The Disney Label is going to be the death of the SW Lego line

The problem I've got is as a Collector item this set just doesn't display well.  I don't mind the fact is a play based set. The deathstar, ewok village and sandcrawkwr all have play elements but they also work really well as display sets.

AoH just doesn't look like one set, it's a collection of little sets plonked together. The seperate bits aren't connected in any way at all. If they'd included two white terrain baseplates to sit the parts on and charged £250 it would be much more attractive as a collectors item.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jnd2k3 said:

Adding an AT-ST into this would have made it infinitely more appealing.

They are supposedly releasing an OT-esque AT-ST for the Rogue One lineup.  That is the only set that was leaked so far.

5 minutes ago, Fenix_2k1 said:

The problem I've got is as a Collector item this set just doesn't display well.  I don't mind the fact is a play based set. The deathstar, ewok village and sandcrawkwr all have play elements but they also work really well as display sets.

AoH just doesn't look like one set, it's a collection of little sets plonked together. The seperate bits aren't connected in any way at all. If they'd included two white terrain baseplates to sit the parts on and charged £250 it would be much more attractive as a collectors item.

I agree.  I wish they would have included 2 large 64x64 stud baseplates to this.   Although, to be honest, I plan on mocking the heck out of this set.

1 hour ago, Deanfjr said:

I said it once & I will say it again: The Disney Label is going to be the death of the SW Lego line

Doesn't seem to be the case, considering SW TFA was one of the highest revenue grossing films.  I think it's in the top 10 once you count inflation.

21 minutes ago, jonnyhanukkah said:

What are the odds that this set just gets 1 print run and then gets retired?  does that happen anymore to sets of this size?  Or does Lego have way too much invested in such a large set to drop it so soon?

UCS B-Wing.   But as soon as people hear this is retiring, they will be buying this terd up and extending its life.

• Like 3

I think I  finally understand why everyone is so upset with the design of the new AoH set and why everyone sees it as a dud.

I think it boils down to the fact that the set doesn't include a GR-75. I mean what a beautifully designed vessel that is with it's cutting edge inverted cargo ship hull design.

Perhaps someone will MOC that ship to set you all at ease. Or just look here

GR-75_transport_SWGTCG.jpg

Edited by pstebbing
  • Like 1

If this was truly intended to be a play set then why not take out the imperial forces all together and the wampa and lower the price OR keep the price the same and add some more bricks to unify the base and other bits better. Then have an Imperial release that is focused on the attacking side....... This set is just so fragmented and whats frustrating is that there are a lot of great individual elements that would fit into a MOC nicely.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

Already working on it.
15681677272_b5ee83453c_o.jpg

I can't help but think what would happen had LEGO released $250 UCS Assault on Hoth as an AT-AT, AT-ST, Snowspeeder, shield generator, 2x Turrets, 2x taun tauns & 8 minifigures (no hangar gate, wampa+cave, or trench).  Would that have generated as strong dislike from AFOLs ?

7 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

I can't help but think what would happen had LEGO released $250 UCS Assault on Hoth as an AT-AT, AT-ST, Snowspeeder, shield generator, 2x Turrets, 2x taun tauns & 8 minifigures (no hangar gate, wampa+cave, or trench).  Would that have generated as strong dislike from AFOLs ?

That might have been better received.

9 hours ago, Darth_Raichu said:

If people are finding fault in everything with how the set presently is as a "settings compilation" pack having everything to do with Hoth's scenery, I find it doubtful anyone could muster anything better to say were this released merely as a "vehicles been done before" kit featuring the bare minimum to do with the planet side battle.

1 hour ago, TheOrcKing said:

If people are finding fault in everything with how the set presently is as a "settings compilation" pack having everything to do with Hoth's scenery, I find it doubtful anyone could muster anything better to say were this released merely as a "vehicles been done before" kit featuring the bare minimum to do with the planet side battle.

At least the set name would have been appropriate, instead of representation of 2 brave snowtroopers ;)

I was just wondering if the objections were more against the set as combination of smaller sets or what smaller sets were actually included in AoH

IMHO people would have paid $140-150 a set had they released last year Snowspeeder and AT-AT as a single set:

NewLEGO01.jpg

• Like 2

You no how I always tell everybody to get an Exclusive now and then, well with this set I am not getting any. I was at the Lego store yesterday and they just got done building it and for $250 its pretty bad. The only way I would get a few if they put them on sale for $125 due to nobody buying them.   Ed

• Like 8

On 4/27/2016 at 11:37 AM, Darth_Raichu said:

I don't have the original Hanger Gate, nor the wampa cave (anymore), nor any turrets, nor trenches. If i tried to buy all those sets it would be way over $250.

I have no problem with the price point. 

But i also don't think it's CEO shelf-bound.

That's what makes a Lego set go crazy price-wise.

SSD has that quality, Tumbler has that, X-wing has that, Slave 1 has that, Tie has that.

Supply and investors may prevent it, but you need that museum quality WOW for AFOL's to not cry foul.

Edited by mudcatsfan
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, emazers said:

You no how I always tell everybody to get an Exclusive now and then, well with this set I am not getting any. I was at the Lego store yesterday and they just got done building it and for $250 its pretty bad. The only way I would get a few if they put them on sale for $125 due to nobody buying them.   Ed

Yeah, we all feel the same way. 

Personally, I think $125 should be the MSRP for this "greatest hits" set of 4-5 previous Hoth ones. 

• Like 2

I don't have the original Hanger Gate, nor the wampa cave (anymore), nor any turrets, nor trenches. If i tried to buy all those sets it would be way over $250.

I have no problem with the price point. 

But i also don't think it's CEO shelf-bound.

That's what makes a Lego set go crazy price-wise.

SSD has that quality, Tumbler has that, X-wing has that, Slave 1 has that, Tie has that.

Supply and investors may prevent it, but you need that museum quality WOW for AFOL's to not cry foul.

Not sure if the "CEO eye certification" is official. This type of investing strategy is prob still in alpha testing.

• Like 1