75098 - UCS: Assault on Hoth

bricketycricket

Put it this way.  I want as many of the UCS star wars sets i can get my hands on.

So far i have 10188 Death Star, New Tie Fighter, red 5 x wing, Slave 1, Sandcrawler, SSD, EV and Obi Wans Jedi Interceptor. The At-St, B wing, R2-D2 and imperial shuttle are still within range and i won't be spending money on AoH until i have the other sets.  By which time it should have dropped in price.

Edited by Fenix_2k1
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Phil B said:

Just to summarize: For a new set to be desirable, it needs to be:

- For an old-time Collector: A fresh new spin on something (either completely fresh or a good refresh)

- For a recently awoken Collector: Anything that the old-time Collector wants, plus potentially a rehash of something currently difficult to get (i.e. retired and appreciated in price)

- For an Investor: CEO/father seal of approval - i.e. the "I gotta have that" factor

- For a Reseller/QFLL: Met with a high initial demand including wow factor

- For a Completionist: To merely exist.

Did I get that right?

So using this logic then, Attack on Hoth would appeal to the 'recently awoken collector' who loves the original trilogy as they will have missed the opportunity to get the separate parts like the snow speeder and wompa cave first time round.

Edited by giannini78
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, fossilrock said:

Isn't this how every thread in this forum goes?

As other posters already noted before me, the hate against this set is unprecedented. However it is because of two reasons: UCS tag and price.

This set obviously has an identity problem. Lets go to cars for an example (abstract away from actual business relationship):

1. Ferrari announces that there will be a new model
  2. The car is revealed: it is branded as a Ferrari and its price is also that of a Ferrari
  3. The car is actually a Ford Fiesta with a slightly larger engine
  4. Ferrari fans are offended
  5. People would buy it regardless if it was called a Ford Fiesta and priced as such, since it is actually a good car

I hope this little fiction can shed light on the source of the hate...

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, giannini78 said:

So using this logic then, Attack on Hoth would appeal to the 'recently awoken collector' who loves the original trilogy as they will have missed the opportunity to get the separate parts like the snow speeder and wompa cave first time round.

Yes, and to the Completionist :)

1 minute ago, weitzel78 said:

UCS compliants aside, the Hoth price is same as EV, $250 and the piece count is higher.

Nobody cares about piece count in isolation. Weight and type of pieces can be substantially different. Plus set design, accuracy etc.

3 minutes ago, inversion said:

Nobody cares about piece count in isolation. Weight and type of pieces can be substantially different. Plus set design, accuracy etc.

Don't forget the 2 maxifigs in AoH - they bring down the piece count when compared to weight of set.

1 minute ago, Darth_Raichu said:

We just need to accept that UCS seal is nothing more than marketing gimmick from now on and move on.

Had Chima not been such a flop for LEGO, I bet this set would have had the UCS seal as well :P

The%2BUltimate%2BBattle%2Bfor%2BChima%2B

That set only meets the minimum definition of "Collectors", as there were a total of 2 available.

PS: Who says Chima was a flop for LEGO? AFAIK it had a significant number of sets, and those sold pretty well with kids. Not much investing value apart from a few hidden gems, and the fact that Ninjago never died didn't help either, but I don't think it was a flop.

6 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

We just need to accept that UCS seal is nothing more than marketing gimmick from now on and move on.

Had Chima not been such a flop for LEGO, I bet this set would have had the UCS seal as well :P

The%2BUltimate%2BBattle%2Bfor%2BChima%2B

I don't agree with the gimmick part.  The issue is consistency.  If Ewok Village is not "UCS" then neither should Assault on Hoth.  Display plaques should be a consistent, distinctive element to UCS branding.  Whoever is in charge of marketing needs this explained to them.

Edited by Mathew
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Mathew said:

I don't agree with the gimmick part.  The issue is consistency.  If Ewok Village is not "UCS" then neither should Assault on Hoth.  Display plaques should be a consistent, distinctive element to UCS branding.  Whoever is in charge of marketing needs this explained to them.

What do you put on a display plaque for a village? Number of citizens? Name of the chief? Story recap? It would look super silly in my opinion.

2 minutes ago, Phil B said:

That set only meets the minimum definition of "Collectors", as there were a total of 2 available.

PS: Who says Chima was a flop for LEGO? AFAIK it had a significant number of sets, and those sold pretty well with kids. Not much investing value apart from a few hidden gems, and the fact that Ninjago never died didn't help either, but I don't think it was a flop.

It is a collection of older sets and it is big, so it is a UCS :P

It is a flop for LEGO in terms of advertisement and expectations ("best line since Ninjago").  They were so sure of its popularity they planned a section at Legoland Park dedicated to it even before the sets hit the store. 

Interesting although maybe not unexpected but after day 1 of AoH release it comes in at number 8 in the UK's top sellers page on LEGO Shop at Home behind (in this order and only the SW sets)... S1, SC, EV, TF, MF.
Will be the sale skewing things but last on the list of every large SW set even when MF can be found a further 10% cheaper atm.  I actually expected it to be higher despite the down beat chatter.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, GiliusThunderhead said:

Interesting although maybe not unexpected but after day 1 of AoH release it comes in at number 8 in the UK's top sellers page on LEGO Shop at Home behind (in this order and only the SW sets)... S1, SC, EV, TF, MF.
Will be the sale skewing things but last on the list of every large SW set even when MF can be found a further 10% cheaper atm.  I actually expected it to be higher despite the down beat chatter.

great point

it is number 3 in the USA wow that can not be right can it from what everyone says  ? lol

for me it can