75098 - UCS: Assault on Hoth

bricketycricket

I'll second that.  I actually thought his video on AoH would be some false attempt to dismiss all the criticism to keep him in with TLG.  I was totally proved wrong and ashamed at myself for thinking that.  Top guy and I hope that vid makes its way to the TLG bods (well worth a watch IMO if you're on the shelf about buying it). 

Summarizes my thoughts exactly. UCS tag was a big mistake. Name of set was another gaff.  I was actually going to shell out on eBay for just the Ion cannon but seeing how unfinished it looks form the back now thinking about MOC'ing my own.  

Still think this is a great play set for kids . if there weren't any previous Hoth sets this would probably have done a lot better too.  But when you think they could have gone UCS AT-AT or snow speeder... I've got my fingers crossed we will still see some epic vehicles made soon though!

I'm with you, too. I like Jang but thought he'd be overly positive about the set. However, he was very honest with pros and cons. Really enjoy his videos.

On 5/6/2016 at 1:26 PM, Steve Brule said:

I'm with you, too. I like Jang but thought he'd be overly positive about the set. However, he was very honest with pros and cons. Really enjoy his videos.

The new vid he puts up where he combines this, the hoth attack set and the 2011 hoth set.... wow!  That is a true echo base IMO.

I'm tempted to say that if TLG released those 3 sets and removed the UCS logo....$350 no questions asked.  I'd still be in the running at $400 i think.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, GiliusThunderhead said:

The new vid he puts up where he combines this, the hoth attack set and the 2011 hoth set.... wow!  That is a true echo base IMO.

I'm tempted to say that if TLG released those 3 sets and removed the UCS logo....$350 no questions asked.  I'd still be in the running at $400 i think.

I was waiting for Jang to do this and I am somewhat disappointed in the result.  I thought this might be the sets saving grace combing it with echo base.

And while it looks like a much more complete playset. I still don't like it.  My plan was to combine these to make a big scene but but now I am skipping this set 100%  the space It would take to make a true nice Moc scene would exceed the space I would want to reserve for this.  I will display things I like more and skip AoH.  

Even if this was 125 next year I would skip it.  Nothing here for me as an AFOL and my kids aren't interested in Hoth as Empire is their least favorite movie.  

3 minutes ago, Armor said:

Everyone who wanted it would have bought in during the 2x VIP points and other stuff on the may 4 special. It will drop like a rock now with current prices and offers.

There was no double VIP in Europe. All you got extra was stormtrooper and poster.

You also have to consider that slave, Sandcrawler, ev and gbhq are all still in there. 

1 hour ago, Armor said:

Everyone who wanted it would have bought in during the 2x VIP points and other stuff on the may 4 special. It will drop like a rock now with current prices and offers.

Maybe Lego will make a move like the Ninjago Buy a Temple of Airjitzu 70751 and get a Ronin REX 70735 free if sales is not good as expected.

Edited by tacsniper

For all the hate chatter this set has attracted, since it's release,  it sits in the SAH Top 25 Sellers, Daily...

I am not convinced in the peoples negative talk, I would bet by the EOL the haters will have at least one in their collection...

images17TZQ0C4.jpg

Edited by Deanfjr
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Deanfjr said:

For all the hate chatter this set has attracted, since it's release,  it sits in the SAH Top 25 Sellers, Daily...

I am not convinced in the peoples negative talk, I would bet by the EOL the haters will have at least one in their collection...

images17TZQ0C4.jpg

I'm sure a lot of people will end up getting it when it's heavily discounted because they are completionists (for now) but that doesn't make it a success at all.  A new, decent Star Wars UCS in the current climate should have done much better. 

It's not even in the top 25 in the UK anymore and has been consistently behind all other SW UCS sets and the MF since launch over here. 

I have tried my best to see the upsides to this "UCS" set but i just can't.  I can't even work out what price point it would need to fall to for me to be interested.

It's easy to use the word "Hater" like we are being irrational, but we're not.  We're consumers,  lego fans, star wars fans who have been let down by poor execution of what seemed like a sure fire winner when a Hoth UCS set was first rumoured. 

But according to some we should just sit down, shut up and buy whatever Lego puts in front of us regardless of quality and cost.

If people don't speak up we'll end up with more crappy UCS sets and the completionists will stop feeling a need to complete. 

• Like 2

Whenever I read someone defending AoH based on it being in the top sellers at LEGO Shop at Home I can't help but be reminded of this Chris Rock stand-up act (putting in spoiler for graphic language)

Spoiler

It's a new release exclusive available for sale only from The Lego Store. It's supposed to be in the top 25 sellers.

The more I think about it myself, the less I want the set.  Even if it was 50% off, I would probably still pass and just save the money.  It may not say much, but I would rather not give Lego any money for a subpar set just because it's Lego.  I expect great sets like the ones we've received over the years, but I don't want them to get complacent either and just start releasing crappy sets.  When the big name reviewers and sites and panning the set, that should be enough to make you stop and at least question for a second what they were thinking releasing such a set.

It looks like I am going to be returning my AoH set. After further evaluation and reading many reviews and watching videos. I think this set is just not going to do it for me. My kids are too young for the playability features and I don't like it a display set. I thought I could put it next to the EV as a companion set but don't I just don't think it will look right. 

The good news: My local lego store will let me exchange it without sending it back to Lego (bought through lego shop at home). I get to keep the poster and the Storm Trooper. 

The very bad news:

I will loose all my double VIP points. 

In Hawaii everything the Lego Store sells is more expensive (this is why I use Lego Shop at Home). They will refund my 249.99 for AoH but I will have to pay 219.99 for UCS Tie-Fighter.

This was almost enough for me to change my mind but I really think this set will disappoint me once I have it all put together. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...