75060 - UCS: Slave I

kerrmando

The LEGO facebook page says Jan 2015 release but I wonder if they would make it earlier now that the tumbler is not available. I could easily see this as replacing it as a popular gift at the Holidays if it were made available

Why wouldn't they just allocate that production capacity to the Tumbler under this line of thinking?

The LEGO facebook page says Jan 2015 release but I wonder if they would make it earlier now that the tumbler is not available. I could easily see this as replacing it as a popular gift at the Holidays if it were made available

Lego Store manager said that they definitely wouldn't be seeing UCS Slave 1 until January.  Said it was a stock issue, they don't have room to stock in stores along with the rest of the sets they want out for Christmas.  Seems kind of strange, they could pile them in the middle of the floor and they'd sell.

• Like 1

Lego Store manager said that they definitely wouldn't be seeing UCS Slave 1 until January.  Said it was a stock issue, they don't have room to stock in stores along with the rest of the sets they want out for Christmas.  Seems kind of strange, they could pile them in the middle of the floor and they'd sell.

Of course we all know to trust Lego Store manager's (not) but while he may be right I really hope he is not.  This is the Droids (er uh) Christmas present I was looking for.

Maybe they need to clean out some older sets with big boxes...

• Like 2

Remember that LEGO originally introduced the Friends line in January 2012 and bypassed the entire opportunity to sell into the 2011 Christmas season. It can be a good strategy because you avoid the crowded marketing season that leads into Christmas, and you can offer something new to tempt people to spend the cash they received for Christmas.

I wouldn't put it past them again to save another desirable product until January.

Remember that LEGO originally introduced the Friends line in January 2012 and bypassed the entire opportunity to sell into the 2011 Christmas season. It can be a good strategy because you avoid the crowded marketing season that leads into Christmas, and you can offer something new to tempt people to spend the cash they received for Christmas.

I wouldn't put it past them again to save another desirable product until January.

Great point.  Like the Frozen set coming out in January.  Drag everyone back into the store to empty their gift cards and have more debt beyond what they planned.  Very capitalistic and a good idea for Lego.

Why release it early? It's going to be a hot seller and serve only to cannibalize other sales. They will lose zero Slave I sales by waiting to release in January.

Completely agree. It is one of these sets that Lego fans want regardless of the season etc. On the other hand side less than 1% will be the kind of people who randomly walk into the Lego store and will happen to buy it not knowing why. The rest 99% of people will wipe this set off the shelf in a heartbeat whether its pre or past Christmas time. I can foresee Tumbler story repeating again!

Edited by hannibal

If Lego were to put this on sale a week before xmas, the only outcome would be 1000s of disappointed kids and irate parents, neither of which Lego really need.

I agree. It would not be great for lego, because they keep on saying they focus on families. And they don't want to see the slave1 OoS very soon and then available for $500 on ebay.

Plus, about availibility of the slave1, lego certainly doesn't care that much about selling it on Xmas 2014 or not. Because they know that it will be seeked after for some years (let's say, three years), and they will simply stop producing it when they want (for any reason).

December 2014 ===> September 2018 or January 2015 ===> September 2018 : certainly lego doesn't care, if the same amount of sets are sold with that period... SW fans do not wait for Xmas, and if they do, they will have Xmas 2015 and 2016 to get it.

Plus (bis), this set may be a really cool gift (for oneself). But you will certainly want a set under the Xmas tree. Let's say the AT-AT (recently released, and available everywhere, whenever).

What would be the best for lego, as a seller ? If you consider a SW fan who already planned to get the slave1.

Slave1 on Xmas 2014 + maybe a AT-AT on january ?

or

AT-AT on Xmas 2014 + for sure slave1 on january ?

Of course it's the second option. The AT-AT can wait for some more monthes if the guy doesn''t already own this one, because the hype is over with these SW sets (cantina, AT-AT, imperial star destoyer...). But the slave1 will still be a "hot item" on january, because released some few days/hours ago...

• 2 weeks later...

I've been wondering if a lot of reviews on LEGO Shop at Home are fake. Well today I read the first review of this UCS Slave I, which will not be released for another 2 months:

Best Purchase Ever

The powerful and fearsome Slave 1 is by far the most advanced and entertaining Lego Star Wars set ever created. With its many blasters and hidden cannons, Boba Fett's ship is sure to give you a force to reckon with. Not to mention the stunning detail of the minifigures and their assorted weapons. I would definitely like to see Lego making more sets of this caliber!

SkywalkerSwag

Active
since: 
October 9, 2014
Through: 
October 9, 2014

Build Time:

01days

My Contributions
1 Review

My Average Rating: 
rating.gif

I also reviewed
(Unknown)
rating.gif

Helpfulness Votes
Yes
No
Customer Type:  LEGO Fan
Building Experience:  Expert LEGO builder
Purchased For: Self

I have the latest play set version, I was hoping for a complete new mini figs with this set. Han in carbonite, is pretty common.

New Bobba Fett is a selling point, Cloud city guard, but no new Lando fig.

In two minds to weather or not purchase, but seeing the 2015 line up is heavy on sub genre Rebels, UCS Slave 1 may indeed be a new edition to my collection.

Along with the UCS Tie Fighter released later in 2015.

I was hoping for a UCS or Play-Set updated version of Cloud City to be released.

Or will be the much rumoured UCS Millenium Falcon, be the latest of the UCS to be re-released for the upcoming new triology?

Edited by NZ-EUG