75060 - UCS: Slave I

kerrmando

As somebody with only a very basic knowledge of Star Wars... I really do not like this set. I don't think it's recognizable as Star Wars. I think it's a fairly ugly design, comparatively, for a SW ship. I think unless you're a SW fan, you wouldn't recognize this. Compared to any Tie or X-Wing or SSD etc which is recognizable for most of the population.

It's clearly a top favourite for SW fans. I'll be taking a pass on this one because it doesn't stand out to me, and I like to invest in sets that have broad appeal and are great display pieces which, comparatively, this is not. I also feel like it's been hugely hoarded, similar to Poe's X Wing which I'm also taking a pass on. This does look like a really fun build, though. Its' second-hand value is likely to be out of reach for me. Maybe if it's a huge flop I'll get my hands on one cheap to enjoy the build!

Can anybody inform me of which episodes I should check out to view the Slave in action?

No offense dude, but is this trolling?!

2 minutes ago, mipage said:

As somebody with only a very basic knowledge of Star Wars... I really do not like this set. I don't think it's recognizable as Star Wars. I think it's a fairly ugly design, comparatively, for a SW ship. I think unless you're a SW fan, you wouldn't recognize this. Compared to any Tie or X-Wing or SSD etc which is recognizable for most of the population.

It's clearly a top favourite for SW fans. I'll be taking a pass on this one because it doesn't stand out to me, and I like to invest in sets that have broad appeal and are great display pieces which, comparatively, this is not. I also feel like it's been hugely hoarded, similar to Poe's X Wing which I'm also taking a pass on. This does look like a really fun build, though. Its' second-hand value is likely to be out of reach for me. Maybe if it's a huge flop I'll get my hands on one cheap to enjoy the build!

Can anybody inform me of which episodes I should check out to view the Slave in action?

You say "it's clearly a top favorite for SW fans" followed by "I'll be taking a pass on this one because it doesn't stand out to me"

So assuming you're buying lego sets today to sell them them in the future, then from your logic I would infer that you're expecting to sell the sets to yourself in the future?

I'd plan to sell them to the SW fans who, like you said, have this as a top favorite.

• Like 1

Yes I'm quite serious. I didn't expect to be popular for it!

I don't plan to sell to hardcore SW fans really, I plan to sell to rich people with an appreciation for art. I don't sell after a couple years - everything I have I'm keeping for 20+ yrs. To me, somebody who's watched all the Star Wars films once or twice, but no more, this isn't recognizable. The SSD, or Red Five, by comparison, is recognizable to everybody (including hardcore SW fans). I just think there's other models with a wider range of appeal.

26 minutes ago, mipage said:

I'm not even sure I can find the words to reply to your views on Slave 1 . . . however in answer to your question Slave 1 can be viewed in the iconic scene in Empire Strikes back when Han comes up with the genius idea of attaching the Falcon to the SD and releasing before they go in to Hyper Space.  Boba Fett second guesses the move and follows them to Bespin ! "You have your moments, not many of them, but you do have them" !!! 

1 minute ago, mipage said:

I don't plan to sell to hardcore SW fans really, I plan to sell to rich people with an appreciation for art. I don't sell after a couple years - everything I have I'm keeping for 20+ yrs. To me, somebody who's watched all the Star Wars films once or twice, but no more, this isn't recognizable. The SSD, or Red Five, by comparison, is recognizable to everybody (including hardcore SW fans). I just think there's other models with a wider range of appeal.

Well if that's your target market I wouldn't buy any SW exclusives -- including SSD or Red 5. I don't see non-SW fans caring about any of these in 20 years, no matter how impressive they are. Just my opinion.

• Like 1

Well if that's your target market I wouldn't buy any SW exclusives -- including SSD or Red 5. I don't see non-SW fans caring about any of these in 20 years, no matter how impressive they are. Just my opinion.

In 20 years, there'll be all new Lego versions anyway.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mipage said:

I don't think it's recognizable as Star Wars. I think it's a fairly ugly design, comparatively, for a SW ship. I think unless you're a SW fan, you wouldn't recognize this. Compared to any Tie or X-Wing or SSD etc which is recognizable for most of the population.

It is funny because I haven't seen the Star Wars movies in quite a long time, but I could recognize Boba Fett's ship in a second (Slave 1) when I honestly have no memory of the SSD in the movies.

To me, somebody who's watched all the Star Wars films once or twice, but no more, this isn't recognizable. The SSD, or Red Five, by comparison, is recognizable to everybody (including hardcore SW fans). 

I'm sorry, but that is just not correct. 

Edited by Sharkbait
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, mipage said:

How would you know if they had watched the SW movies at all ???  Surely their time is better used admiring their private art collections while eating caviar...

• Like 2

I have no interest in pirate ships but own a sea cow!! Mainly due to the fact I have an huge interest in Lego and appreciate nice sets, if nothing else, a Lego collector that didn't like star wars will still appreciate what a beautiful set it is. Ask anyone who has built it, I'm sure they will all agree.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mipage said:

v5Rg2sF.gif

• Like 7

3 hours ago, mipage said:

"I plan to sell to rich people with an appreciation for art".

You realize that this is a LEGO investing (and hobby...) forum not an art investing/art forum? I don't say LEGO cannot be art. Or is it that you will only sell the LEGO to rich people who also appreciate art? ^.^

"I don't sell after a couple years - everything I have I'm keeping for 20+ yrs"

Good luck with that. Not so sure if it's the best plan but who knows.

And concerning the last part:

Because so many non Star Wars fans will buy X-Wings and TIE-Fighters.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Sharkbait said:

I'm sorry, but that is just not correct. 

When referring to my own point of view, I am by definition never incorrect!

I've watched the films over the past 2 years. Once or twice each one. The Slave was not recognizable to me. I'm guessing I've watched the films the least out of everyone that's replied to me here. It would make sense the ships that appear the most would stand out to me. Those of you who have watched it several times & know the story inside-out, would have preferences beyond the ships that had the most screen time.

We all expect the most iconic sets to be the most popular, and likely profitable, right? Well the Slave was nowhere near the top of my list. I knew of at least half a dozen SW ships before having ever watched a Star Wars film. This is the definition of iconic to me.

-

Are there any SW Lego sets selling for >$1000 today that will be worth less than that in 2036? I really don't see it.

The SW brand guarantees the demand long term. Supply is perpetually dropping. (I deal in Mint boxes only, ofcourse).

Remakes I'm not concerned about in the slightest. If I was trading with a time line of up to 5-6 years, they would. 

10 minutes ago, mipage said:

I've watched the films over the past 2 years. Once or twice each one. The Slave was not recognizable to me. I'm guessing I've watched the films the least out of everyone that's replied to me here. It would make sense the ships that appear the most would stand out to me. Those of you who have watched it several times & know the story inside-out, would have preferences beyond the ships that had the most screen time.

We all expect the most iconic sets to be the most popular, and likely profitable, right? Well the Slave was nowhere near the top of my list. I knew of at least half a dozen SW ships before having ever watched a Star Wars film. This is the definition of iconic to me.

-

Are there any SW Lego sets selling for >$1000 today that will be worth less than that in 2036? I really don't see it.

Remakes I'm not concerned about in the slightest. If I was trading with a time line of up to 5-6 years, they would. 

You_re-Doing-It.jpg

You should go and rewatch empire strikes back. There are probably no star wars fans that would agree with you as the slave being one of the least iconic ships I guess you think Boba fett was a weak character also because of his lack of screen time and lines. Well news flash he is a BOUNTY HUNTER who pilots the Slave and was one of the coolest pilot/ship combinations in the whole star wars universe. Kids wanted to know more about the mysterious Fett and for a few years between ESB and ROTJ he was in possession of the main antagonists and had him frozen in carbonite aboard the SLAVE 1.
You are investing in Lego wrong and obviously watching and enjoying the star wars saga wrong; you are entitled to your opinion but it and much of what you have posted here is wrong.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mipage said:

When referring to my own point of view, I am by definition never incorrect!

I think what people are trying to tell you, especially because you've just started posting, is that that you need to become more knowledgeable before making statements of opinion. You've admitted that you've had very little exposure to the Star Wars franchise, yet you're making pronouncements about the product line and the investment potential about said line.

It's fine if you don't want to invest in this line or this particular product.  It's even fine to say why.  But arguing the point about the iconicness of Slave 1, when you've only seen the films a couple of times is like arguing that Jar Jar Binks is a very well thought out character, and a highlight of the films.  People are just going to flat out tell you that you're wrong.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

I think what people are trying to tell you, especially because you've just started posting, is that that you need to become more knowledgeable before making statements of opinion. You've admitted that you've had very little exposure to the Star Wars franchise, yet you're making pronouncements about the product line and the investment potential about said line.

It's fine if you don't want to invest in this line or this particular product.  It's even fine to say why.  But arguing the point about the iconicness of Slave 1, when you've only seen the films a couple of times is like arguing that Jar Jar Binks is a very well thought out character, and a highlight of the films.  People are just going to flat out tell you that you're wrong.

And bingo was his name-o! 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, fuzzy_bricks said:

What did he do on screen that was so amazing?  Dude got taken out by a half blind Han Solo, Jar Jar would have put up more of a fight than Boba Fett.

This is true. In Empire, Vader handed Han over to Fett. We really didn't see him do much. And to be fair, Slave 1 had very little screen time in the movies. I think the design of the character and the ship made it more popular after the movies. Not saying that Fett and Slave 1 aren't iconic and badass for SW fans but I could see a non Star Wars fan saying that X-Wing and other ships are more recognizable than Slave 1. Having said all of that, this is set spectacular and everyone should own one.