Selling Lego on Amazon.com

Deeker

I just saw this email from Amazon:

"When you ship a seller-fulfilled (non-FBA) order using postage you purchased from Buy Shipping Services in Seller Central, we'll take care of the claim if the buyer reports the order wasn't received. You won't receive a notification on your Manage Returns page and your Order Defect Rate won't be affected."

8 hours ago, Jackson said:

I just saw this email from Amazon:

"When you ship a seller-fulfilled (non-FBA) order using postage you purchased from Buy Shipping Services in Seller Central, we'll take care of the claim if the buyer reports the order wasn't received. You won't receive a notification on your Manage Returns page and your Order Defect Rate won't be affected."

now that is some ****ed up s***. so you're telling me that they blatantly encourage "item not delivered" cases?!

is this their policy now, and where can i find it as "signature required" cost is ridiculous via fedex/UPS?

Edited by jerryherb

15 hours ago, Kenxxx said:

This is rich... just sold a 40124 Winter Fun... got the label printed up (no thanks to Amazon), entered tracking number manually on Amazon, put it in the mail box, come back to the house and I have a message from the buyer:

"Hello,
I received my purchase as ordered, however it seems to be missing several small pieces to several figures. Please let me know what can be done in order to resolve this issue. Thank you. Nxxxxx Pxxxxx"

Immediately went back to the mailbox, and retrieved the package.  What to do now? Of course, could be an honest mistake... just has me confused with another seller she bought the item from last week... but I think the smartest move would be to simply reply to her message with a brief apology for the inconvenience. Tell her I have already applied a 100% refund, and please keep whatever merchandise you received.  Right move?

cancel the order and dont look back. 

6 minutes ago, jerryherb said:

now that is some ****ed up s***. so you're telling me that they blatantly encourage "item not delivered" cases?!

Not exactly, their threshold for proof of delivery is fairly low. If the package gets marked as "delivered" by whatever shipping FBA uses, then the buyer's claim is getting denied. If the shipper can't furnish proof of the package delivery, and you used FBA, then you as the seller aren't out any money.

46 minutes ago, Deadfraggle said:

Not exactly, their threshold for proof of delivery is fairly low. If the package gets marked as "delivered" by whatever shipping FBA uses, then the buyer's claim is getting denied. If the shipper can't furnish proof of the package delivery, and you used FBA, then you as the seller aren't out any money.

Judging by Amazon's record i SERIOUSLY doubt that buyer's claim would in any way be denied. after reading the aforementioned message the seller doesnt get dinged, nor even notified, i guess to minimize the fact of how prevalent fraud is in their marketplace and prevent the third party seller exodus to other market(s). just FYI, this is pertaining FBM, not FBA, as long as shipping is purchased through amazon.

Edited by jerryherb

16 minutes ago, jerryherb said:

Judging by Amazon's record i SERIOUSLY doubt that buyer's claim would in any way be denied. the seller also doesnt get dinged, or even notified, to prevent the third party seller exodus to other market(s). just FYI, this is for FBM, not FBA, as long as shipping is purchased through amazon

How is that policy a bad thing for FBM sellers ??  I'd rather Amzn deal with potential scammers or USPS incompetency than spending time and energy trying to convince Amzn rep the item is delivered as shown on USPS tracking

5 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

How is that policy a bad thing for FBM sellers ??  I'd rather Amzn deal with potential scammers or USPS incompetency than spending time and energy trying to convince Amzn rep the item is delivered as shown on USPS tracking

IT IS bad as it promotes fraud and then sellers end up paying for it later anyway. if a "buyer" gets denied on one thing (FBM label through amazon), the scum will try other reasons to get their money back, hence why i hit with the "item is fake" case as i had purchased insurance and a signature conf. im sure if i didnt, the item would somehow vanish during transport as the scum inquired about shipping status before opening the AZ "fake" case

Edited by jerryherb

8 minutes ago, jerryherb said:

its bad that it promotes fraud and then sellers end up paying for it later anyway. if a "buyer" gets denied on one thing (FBM label through amazon), the scum will try other reasons to get their money back, hence why i hit with the "item is fake" case as i had purchased insurance and a signature conf. im sure if i didnt, the item would somehow vanish during transport as the scum inquired about shipping status before opening the AZ "fake" case

Without that policy, you would need to fight with Amzn on "item not received" claim.  As soon as you win that battle, the scammers would still file the "item is fake" AZ claim anyway :dontknow: 

That policy is not the root cause for the increasing scammer activities on Amzn

11 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

That policy is not the root cause for the increasing scammer activities on Amzn

I guess we wouldnt know that as we are now being kept out of the loop. can you point everyone to where this policy is actually listed on their site?

Edited by jerryherb

9 minutes ago, jerryherb said:

I guess we wouldnt know that as we are now being kept out of the loop. can you point everyone to where this policy is actually listed on their site?

Not exactly that paragraph that @Jackson quoted.  Search for "item not received" and open article titled "A-to-z Guarantee: Order Not Received"

Towards the bottom:

Product(s) Shipped with Tracking via Buy Shipping Services (sellers within the US and Mexico)

If an order was shipped with tracking via Buy Shipping Services, and the buyer files a claim stating the order was not received, Amazon will cover the A-to-z claim and the claim won't be included into your Order Defect Rate. To be eligible for this benefit, the order must be shipped using a label purchased via Buy Shipping Services.

That policy isn't new and it actually protects third party sellers .. it would only applys if buyer selects item not received as reason for the AZ claim . If they choose any other reason ( say item not as described even though they claim they didn't receive the items ) then all bets all off 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jerryherb said:

found it, see bottom of the page:

https://sellercentral.amazon.com/gp/help/201526770

That's what I quoted above

7 minutes ago, jerryherb said:

what i also found was this, which contradicts their own policy:

https://sellercentral.amazon.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=341801

Having the policy is 1 thing, its implementation is a completely different thing ;)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

Having the policy is 1 thing, its implementation is a completely different thing ;)

hence why i stated that i seriously doubt they would deny a claim to a buyer, and that there is recent proof of how little they care about us. i get that the money comes from buyers but im sure amazon makes a killing on 3rd party, proly a lot more than retailing on their own. they need to open their eyes and realize that less sellers = less buyers = less money

Edited by jerryherb

the FBM delivery thing sounds more like amazon dealing with UPS issues rather than having the merchants do it directly.  I do not think it would encourage scamming any more than if it were the Merchant taking the hit.  Amazon does care about its money, and I am sure they track claims by many metrics to weed out scammers, but I am sure they favor the buyer in their metrics.  The bigger threat to sellers is really the not what I ordered, fake, or missing pieces claims.  Some are legit, many are scams.  But for the most part Amazon has no way to verify these (or does not want to commit the resources to fully investigate) so the smaller sellers take the hit.  This is one area where ebay sellers have more protection, because the ebay returns are not as easy.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, jay4e said:

... The bigger threat to sellers is really the not what I ordered, fake, or missing pieces claims.  Some are legit, many are scams...

in those cases returns should be REQUIRED, even at a cost of immediate debit to the seller's account for a shipping label furnished to the buyer by amazon. I would take that any day over status quo. If amazon would facilitate returns as opposed throwing our (or their) money at the scammers it would greatly diminish such behavior.

Edited by jerryherb

4 hours ago, jerryherb said:

The paragraph I quoted was in an email from Amazon on April 27. The email is titled "Amazon Seller Newsletter: First Edition".

On 4/25/2017 at 9:28 PM, Bold-Arrow said:

this is a disturbing thread : https://sellercentral.amazon.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=342324&start=0&tstart=0&sortBy=date

again , u never know the true back story, but a good reminder not to put all of your eggs in one basket. 

This was me.  I have only sold via FBA and out of the blue was booted for IP violation and possibly selling inauthentic items.  It can happen to anyone anytime even if you think you are 100% good to go and you do everything perfectly.  I never got an exact answer as to how/why this happened (they don't give that info up) but I have to assume that if there are complaints about something you are selling is counterfeit they will pull certain sellers whether that is random or what I have no idea and boot them and leave it up to them to prove themselves.  Guilty before proven innocent.  I'm putting eggs back in the basket but with the knowledge that at any time some clown might stomp through my hen house and smash them all to bits.

Edited by sroster
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, sroster said:

This was me.  I have only sold via FBA and out of the blue was booted for IP violation and possibly selling inauthentic items.  It can happen to anyone anytime even if you think you are 100% good to go and you do everything perfectly.  I never got an exact answer as to how/why this happened (they don't give that info up) but I have to assume that if there are complaints about something you are selling is counterfeit they will pull certain sellers whether that is random or what I have no idea and boot them and leave it up to them to prove themselves.  Guilty before proven innocent.  I'm putting eggs back in the basket but with the knowledge that at any time some clown might stomp through my hen house and smash them all to bits.

It has been said before, but realistically all 3p sellers on amazon are not small business owners, but defacto employees of amazon. And can be fired without cause at any time. Glad you got your selling privileges reinstated. Curious if you had any of the listed items in stock at the time of your suspension? I've always deleted items after I sell out, more basic housekeeping than anything else, but I wonder if that would help.

Sold a 41058 Shopping Mall 2 weeks ago, and got notified of a pending return a few days later. If I go to my "Manage Orders" screen I can see that a return is in progress, but I cannot see it anywhere else (not in "Manage Returns", not in the Seller App). Amazon did take the funds from my account to refund the buyer. It's also not showing in my FBA inventory anywhere (not even under "Reserved" or "Unfulfillable"). Am I missing something? How can I see the status of this return?