Selling Lego on Amazon.com

Deeker

3 hours ago, redcell said:

It’s the new normal.  I haven’t gone back and looked closely, but I suspect you can find a correlation between the number of sellers on a listing and the amount of chatter in the “investor” groups and YT channels about the set.  The listings that I’m on that have less than 35-50 sellers were all sets that rarely, if ever, we’re mentioned as something worth “investing” in…oddly enough, those are the only sets that have actually appreciated to any significant degree.  Gone are the days when making money doing this was like shooting fish in a barrel.

I agree that it's not like shooting fish in a barrel to make 100%+++ ROI, but I think it's still relatively easy to make 30-70% ROI. As you know, it then becomes a volume game at that point. It's not worth holding a $10 item for 4 years and making 30% ROI. But, it is worth holding a $40 item for 12 months and making 30% ROI.

3 hours ago, skinsfan0521 said:

I agree that it's not like shooting fish in a barrel to make 100%+++ ROI, but I think it's still relatively easy to make 30-70% ROI. As you know, it then becomes a volume game at that point. It's not worth holding a $10 item for 4 years and making 30% ROI. But, it is worth holding a $40 item for 12 months and making 30% ROI.

Seems that a lot of people today are buying at RRP thanks to the youtube investor sites that convince people it's going to be a hot seller post retirement.  The Republic Fighter Tank seems to be one of those sets.  The listing on amazon doesn't even have a buy box, and makes it rather offputting to purchase it on that site.  So, sellers that have massive stock of this set bought at RRP are going to be forced to lowball each other on ebay for the forseeable future.  Clone sets used to be few and far between.  Now they are over done.  So I think the value of clone sets isn't going to accrue like the 2013 AT-TE and Republic Gunship sets did.  Or the Clone Turbo Tank from a few years back.  

How much feedback are you getting on Amazon?

I get very few compared to eBay.

Like, last 90 days I had 1314 orders, all FBA. Only got 3 feedbacks in that period. 

But when I compare myself to some big whales, they have like 50 feedbacks in last month, makes me feel so small😅😅

Edited by severalads

48 minutes ago, severalads said:

Like, last 90 days I had 1314 orders, all FBA. Only got 3 feedbacks in that period. 

But when I compare myself to some big whales, they have like 50 feedbacks in last month, makes me feel so small😅😅

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but its like 1% or less leave feedback. There are quite a few whales easily selling a few hundred thousand to 1M+ a day.

1 hour ago, severalads said:

I think everyone gets significantly less feedback on Amazon. I tried including loose minifigures and other freebies to encourage feedback but, it didn't seem to have an impact.

Anyone ever received this?  Apparently I have 18 units that I did not label.  When I go to "acknowledge"  I get this.  It's a small boxed set and is asking about a poly bag??  Also, when I do select something it says I am filing a "dispute"??  Really confused how to fill this out at all.

Screen Shot 2023-11-27 at 9.47.03 AM.png

Edited by gmpirate

1 minute ago, gmpirate said:

Anyone ever received this?  Apparently I have 18 units that I did not label.  When I go to "acknowledge"  I get this.  It's a small boxed set and is asking about a poly bag??  Also, when I do select something it says I am filing a "dispute"??  Really confused how to fill this out at all.

Screen Shot 2023-11-27 at 9.47.03 AM.png

U have 2 options. either to dispute. or acknowledge. These question only pertain to "acknowledge" which means u agree u messed up big time and because amazon is generous and forbearing theyll let this one slide if you can show that you brushed up and can ace the quiz

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Bricklectic said:

U have 2 options. either to dispute. or acknowledge. These question only pertain to "acknowledge" which means u agree u messed up big time and because amazon is generous and forbearing theyll let this one slide if you can show that you brushed up and can ace the quiz

Yeah, "acknowledge" is the button I hit and then that screen pops up.  Normally I just get the "quiz" but never these questions which I don't even understand.  And then it says I'm "disputing".

Edited by gmpirate

13 hours ago, yyyybird111 said:

FBM question, can you list new with dented box? no holes

tolerance for box imperfection has gone up imo since covid.  i have many sets i held back because they weren't minty precovid because they have a crease maybe along the top fold of the box but the front of the box is perfect.  the larger the box, the longer it is retired a little more lattude also than a recently retired small set.  i do not sweat the creases anymore.  i just sell them as new as long as they don't have a hole and the seals are intact.  if someone isn't happy, they can return it .  so far so good.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cladner said:

tolerance for box imperfection has gone up imo since covid.  i have many sets i held back because they weren't minty precovid because they have a crease maybe along the top fold of the box but the front of the box is perfect.  the larger the box, the longer it is retired a little more lattude also than a recently retired small set.  i do not sweat the creases anymore.  i just sell them as new as long as they don't have a hole and the seals are intact.  if someone isn't happy, they can return it .  so far so good.

On all of my eBay listings I state that items may have a form of shelf wear or box damage. I’m yet to have someone complain about condition.

• Like 1

You would think AMAZON.COM of all the websites on the planet would have the redundancy in place to prevent this sort of thing. Unreal timing, as mentioned.

RE: Amazon and Box Condition - Basically the only negative feedbacks I've ever gotten were for minor box damage on items listed as new, and who knows if that's from me missing something or from the Amazon shipping process. Personally, if I am selling something at a collectible premium, I try to make sure the box is also premium. I simply ask myself, "If I spent $300 on this $100 set, would I be annoyed if the box came like this?". YMMV, apparently. I play it super safe, and I try to minimize returns if at all possible. Non-LEGO stuff (ala collectible action figures, Funko Pop type stuff) people are super super ornery about box condition, even stuff moving around in the package in things like Marvel Legends.