Selling Lego on Amazon.com

Deeker

Thank you for your cooperation as we implemented policies to ensure that all sellers have space for their products this holiday season. 

Independent businesses like yours that sell on Amazon, nearly all of which are small- and medium-sized businesses, have surpassed $4.8 billion in worldwide sales so far this holiday season. That’s an increase of over 60% from last year. Congratulations, and thank you for providing terrific selection and low prices to customers. 

As the new year approaches, we are lowering the Inventory Performance Index (IPI) threshold to 450:

• If your IPI is 450 or above in week 51 of 2020, starting January 1, 2021, you will not be subject to storage volume limits.
  • If your IPI is below 450 in week 51 of 2020, you will continue to be subject to storage volume limits. We will notify you of your next period limits, which will go into effect on February 1, 2021. 

We encourage you to continuously manage inventory. Visit your Inventory Performance dashboard 6for ways to increase your IPI by reducing excess inventory, improving your sell-through, or fixing stranded listings.

25 minutes ago, Bold-Arrow said:

Thank you for your cooperation as we implemented policies to ensure that all sellers have space for their products this holiday season. 

Independent businesses like yours that sell on Amazon, nearly all of which are small- and medium-sized businesses, have surpassed $4.8 billion in worldwide sales so far this holiday season. That’s an increase of over 60% from last year. Congratulations, and thank you for providing terrific selection and low prices to customers. 

As the new year approaches, we are lowering the Inventory Performance Index (IPI) threshold to 450:

• If your IPI is 450 or above in week 51 of 2020, starting January 1, 2021, you will not be subject to storage volume limits.
  • If your IPI is below 450 in week 51 of 2020, you will continue to be subject to storage volume limits. We will notify you of your next period limits, which will go into effect on February 1, 2021. 

We encourage you to continuously manage inventory. Visit your Inventory Performance dashboard 6for ways to increase your IPI by reducing excess inventory, improving your sell-through, or fixing stranded listings.

I got this too. My question is if the current ipi score that is showing when you go to your dashboard is the one that is being used for this? If so, that sucks. I'm at 447. But I'll be over 450 next week, so I'm hoping it's not the one showing now. 

15 minutes ago, skinsfan0521 said:

I got this too. My question is if the current ipi score that is showing when you go to your dashboard is the one that is being used for this? If so, that sucks. I'm at 447. But I'll be over 450 next week, so I'm hoping it's not the one showing now. 

i would assume week 51 ends this sunday , but thats just me guessing . 

Now, as we look ahead with vaccines on the horizon, other logistics providers have already announced their annual fee increases for 2021. In a normal year we’d be doing the same, but this isn’t a normal year and we’ve made the decision to postpone our annual fulfillment fee adjustments and continue to absorb the costs we are incurring on your behalf until June 1, 2021. We’ll share more details in the spring.

1 hour ago, Darth_Raichu said:

Now, as we look ahead with vaccines on the horizon, other logistics providers have already announced their annual fee increases for 2021. In a normal year we’d be doing the same, but this isn’t a normal year and we’ve made the decision to postpone our annual fulfillment fee adjustments and continue to absorb the costs we are incurring on your behalf until June 1, 2021. We’ll share more details in the spring.

Postpone the fees... Means they crushed it this year and plan on screwing us super hard this spring. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Loghamel said:

I went to create my first shipment in a year and I ran into a 10 cubic feet standard sized limit.  Holy hell!  Anyway around this?  Anyone know how fast this will increase based on sells?  I've got thousands of sets to send in, but that limit is going to kill me.

I had an issue where I had to go through account verification again.  It appears that it's not showing me as a professional account, because professional sellers should have a minimum of 25 cu feet.  Looking into it...

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

Begun, the return wars has

I’ll say. Just today got a set back “don’t need it anymore”. Lego set was opened and then taped back up. Everything appears to be present but it’s no longer saleable. So I informed the buyer that it does not qualify for a refund per Amazon policy but I would be happy to send it back to her at my expense. Karen responds that this is quite distressing and what’s the problem since the Lego bags are still sealed. I repeat myself politely and her response is that since I am keeping her money she will leave a negative feedback. I responded it will be mailed tomorrow.

I get one feedback a month on average and one negative one per year so I’m willing to bite the bullet on this one and am curious to see if she actually will leave the feedback and if so, what Amazon will say when I point to her email essentially blackmailing me into taking a loss. 

12 minutes ago, jeff_14 said:

I’ll say. Just today got a set back “don’t need it anymore”. Lego set was opened and then taped back up. Everything appears to be present but it’s no longer saleable. So I informed the buyer that it does not qualify for a refund per Amazon policy but I would be happy to send it back to her at my expense. Karen responds that this is quite distressing and what’s the problem since the Lego bags are still sealed. I repeat myself politely and her response is that since I am keeping her money she will leave a negative feedback. I responded it will be mailed tomorrow.

I get one feedback a month on average and one negative one per year so I’m willing to bite the bullet on this one and am curious to see if she actually will leave the feedback and if so, what Amazon will say when I point to her email essentially blackmailing me into taking a loss. 

that is wrong info. you can withhold up to 50% , if she opens an AZ you are out of the entire amount . 

• Haha 1

Just now, Bold-Arrow said:

that is wrong info. you can withhold up to 50% , if she opens an AZ you are out of the entire amount . 

lol.. beat me to the punch.. i was literally just writing that. you can only refund 0% on opened video games or software. 

There is a SAFET claim trick that you can search on the Amazon forums but it seems to only work some of the time.

18 minutes ago, jeff_14 said:

Your safest bet will be to let amazon fully refund her (not you but amazon) and then you open a Safe-T Claim and mention to them that the box is unsellable. You will have to provide pictures. 

1 minute ago, nick625 said:

Your safest bet will be to let amazon fully refund her (not you but amazon) and then you open a Safe-T Claim and mention to them that the box is unsellable. You will have to provide pictures. 

it comes down to whether  you want the guaranteed 50% or fight with amazon over the whole thing. Fighting Safe-T claim is very risky and Amazon is pretty cheap these days.  it comes down to how much the item cost. If I am even or ahead with my buy in , 50% it is . you can sell it on the Bay and recoup some $

Interesting. I’ve had this exact issue come up 3 times in the past and every time I’ve offered the return shipment but no refund the buyer has accepted no problem. Maybe it’s our Canadian reasonableness. My view is that given that track record even if I lose 100% of this one I’m still way ahead on average. Plus my out of pocket on this set was low and I wouldn’t mind building it so just risking the negative feedback it seems. 

26 minutes ago, jeff_14 said:

Interesting. I’ve had this exact issue come up 3 times in the past and every time I’ve offered the return shipment but no refund the buyer has accepted no problem. Maybe it’s our Canadian reasonableness. My view is that given that track record even if I lose 100% of this one I’m still way ahead on average. Plus my out of pocket on this set was low and I wouldn’t mind building it so just risking the negative feedback it seems. 

Not if they put in an A-Z claim and win. That hurts your metrics a lot

Begun, the return wars has

It’s why we call it “Returnuary”.

Such BS, I’m taking hits for shipping on my metrics on eBay and amazon.

One package I dropped off on December 21st, in the drop box, priority Mail. Was scanned in today as being received by the post office. 15 days to scan a package in. Wonderful. Buyer has already filed and been rewarded the money back.

32 minutes ago, redcell said:

Given all the money that we all made last year, are these returns really that big of a deal?

I still have to verify the returned items and take pictures.  Best case scenario I have to put the returned sets in my garage for a few days before putting them back to my inventory.  Worst case scenario, I have to take pictures of opened / unsellable sets, open case with Amazon, wait for decision, and then sell those sets on the bay.  It is a lot of work for 1 man operation

17 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

I still have to verify the returned items and take pictures.  Best case scenario I have to put the returned sets in my garage for a few days before putting them back to my inventory.  Worst case scenario, I have to take pictures of opened / unsellable sets, open case with Amazon, wait for decision, and then sell those sets on the bay.  It is a lot of work for 1 man operation

Agree on the amount of effort involved...I guess I'm in the minority here, but, for me, the value to be gained from managing return issues like the ones being discussed here doesn't come anywhere close to the amount of time and effort required.  It is much easier to take the loss so that I can focus that time and energy on activities that generate much greater value in the long run. 

6 minutes ago, redcell said:

Agree on the amount of effort involved...I guess I'm in the minority here, but, for me, the value to be gained from managing return issues like the ones being discussed here doesn't come anywhere close to the amount of time and effort required.  It is much easier to take the loss so that I can focus that time and energy on activities that generate much greater value in the long run. 

It is also a matter of scale.  Perhaps for you a $300 retired Winter Village set that was returned is just a drop in the bucket.  For me, it is worth taking a few snaps of the damaged box to get $200 (or whatever) on the bay 

Appreciate the feedback. One of the things I love about this site is finding out the things I didn’t know. I’ll send the package tomorrow as promised and see what kind of mood I’m in about a partial refund after a night’s sleep. I really don’t like indulging people’s moral hazard. If you break it you bought it is my feeling. I’ve had 2 AtoZ claims and life went on. 

11 minutes ago, AWES22 said:

Is there anything you can do once Amazon “reconciles” your inventory and says inventory counted and confirmed? I know they miscounted, I just don’t know how to get reimbursed.

they will eventually find it but it will takes weeks to months, usually SS wont budge since they are just parrots and they eat the cracker the warehouse people gives them .. they once lost an entire box I sent in and they refused to reimburse claiming it wasn't there and that their count was correct.. after a few back and forth, I gave up dealing with idiots and wrote to "Jeff" since it was worth a few grands, I was reimbursed within two days . fast forward 5 months and suddenly the contents of that box suddenly appeared in my inventory and the reimbursement was reversed . obviously  the parrot wasn't reprimanded 

• Like 2