10225 - UCS: R2-D2

Ed Mack

Ow wow 115 euro is really cheap! Where was that? Cheapest I found it is like 150 euro. The dutch toysrus has 10% of now if you buy 3 products or more. R2 is 175 there and free shipping. I bought some other sets not R2.  They do have the death star quite cheap 358 euro - 10% around 320 euro. 

Dreamland, a couple of months ago. They sometimes have DS for

Im not big lego ***, just started 2 months ago. Have so far 2x HH, 2xVC , 2x T1 Van. Next month is polybag promo , so I will pop up to my local lego shop to pick up GE & SC.

R2D2 can wait. Looks like this set have 2-3 more years of life.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Brickpicker mobile app

Hate to break it to you, but you only get the polybag promo on STAR WARS orders $75+...

• 3 months later...

The earliest I think the set will retire is 2016

1. According to BrickSet, the set was released May 2012. Star Wars UCS sets have a history of being around more than 2 years (though not all were, like B-Wing)
  2. Also it is already confirmed that R2D2 is in the new movie (http://www.starwars.com/news/r2-d2-is-in-star-wars-episode-7-and-hes-fan-made). It seem unlikely that Lego would retire this much loved character before the new movie releases unless sales are horrible (which I doubt since it is sold out @ LEGO Shop at Home). The next SW film will be released Q4 2015 and would expect this set to be available into 2016.
  • Like 1

When it comes to recognizable icons from star wars, r2d2 is up there. Even if you ask someone not familiar with the movies or someone that isn't as interested can still recognize r2. He's going to be a winner in my book.

For sure! I think my mother only watched the Star Wars films once in her youth, yet when she visited after i had built R2, she recognized him instantly and knew his name and though he was "cute". The rest of my sets she has no idea what they are.

Oh she also recognized Jabba in the Sail Barge and thought his name was "Jabba the Blob"  :rofl:

• Like 1

For sure! I think my mother only watched the Star Wars films once in her youth, yet when she visited after i had built R2, she recognized him instantly and knew his name and though he was "cute". The rest of my sets she has no idea what they are.

Oh she also recognized Jabba in the Sail Barge and thought his name was "Jabba the Blob"  :rofl:

Oh yeah, we certainly need Jabba UCS set

That much is true, this set will be a Rock Star once EOL!!!!!!  :rock: I already have 8 and keep piling up slowly but surely because I want a few for myself too! There is a few people in my family that want R2-D2 each so better get them while I can... Interesting thing though...on eBay UK, before EOL lowest price is pretty much what you pay in a Lego store, the rest are

BTW I wouldn't have been surprised (wow this one was hard!) at all if lego decided to let this r2 in the catalog for the next 5 years.

It seems that they will not (because it's already OoS here and there) but this set would have been able to be (again!) available for as long as the death star.

Guest TabbyBoy

When it finally does retire this set will be a huge winner.

If you buy any R2-D2's from Lego LEGO Shop at Home be sure not to buy too many.

Let's just say we'd like to avoid any Imperial entanglements. (aka The Ban Hammer).

:cheese: 

There'll be a long wait I think as isn't R2-D2 in episode VII?  More iconic than the MF but, produced in far greater numbers probably.

Oh yeah, we certainly need Jabba UCS set

Jabba UCS would be awesome, ideally complete with UCS fishbowl on a stand and to-scale UCS froggies floating around in it.  They could cover jabba's exterior with little rubbery pieces (same stuff some of the Simpsons minifigure heads are made out of) so he'd feel more "sluggy".  That would be a UCS sculpture set I'd actually build...